• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/08/1985

I just wanted to get some opinions about something. I was talking to a friend of mine a while back, and I can't really remember exactly what the conversation was about, but it had something to do with future plans. Anyway, she ended up telling me that I could die today or tomorrow so I can't really make such future plans. I responded to her saying that I can really feel that there is something that God wants me to do for Him, something big!... and I haven't done it yet, so sorry, but I'm not dying anytime soon.

So I just wanted to hear some opinions. Was my answer good? bad? Does it reveal my faith? Did it sound arrogant? foolish? I don't know... I feel right about it...

Thanks!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

While technically she is correct -

James 4

13 Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, and spend a year there and engage in business and make a profit." 14 Yet you do not know what your life will be like tomorrow. You are just a vapor that appears for a little while and then vanishes away. 15 Instead, you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and also do this or that."

- her approach was legalistic.

There is a difference between planning in humility, knowing that the Lord is in control and can mess up your plans at any moment, and that of . . . I don't know what she expected of you, to have no goals in life?

Well, I'm trying to explain my convictions with logical reasoning, yet words are failing me to put the concepts together. To be honest, if it were me in your shoes , what I just responded with ("What do you expect of me?") is probably what would have come out.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Without knowing all the details, I think it was a bit arrogant. Did she make you feel angry? I'd guess yes.

You really can't say you're not dying yet because anyone can die at anytime. That's a fact. Even Jesus said we should never say tomorrow I will do this or that, but rather God willing then tomorrow I will do this or that.

I don't think you wanted long answers, just simple opinions. This is mine.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

If it were me, I would have just said, "That could very well be true, but I'll carry on with the plan God has for me until I do."

Guest ninhao

God wants us to have plans for our needs I think.

Pro 6:6-11 KJV Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: (7) Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, (8) Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest. (9) How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep? (10) Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: (11) So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.

God also wants us to rely on Him to establish our plans I think.

Pro 16:3 KJV Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

Plan and consult God to be confident it is inline with his will.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.79
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

I just wanted to get some opinions about something. I was talking to a friend of mine a while back, and I can't really remember exactly what the conversation was about, but it had something to do with future plans. Anyway, she ended up telling me that I could die today or tomorrow so I can't really make such future plans. I responded to her saying that I can really feel that there is something that God wants me to do for Him, something big!... and I haven't done it yet, so sorry, but I'm not dying anytime soon.

So I just wanted to hear some opinions. Was my answer good? bad? Does it reveal my faith? Did it sound arrogant? foolish? I don't know... I feel right about it...

Thanks!

Psalm 118:17

I shall not die, but live, And declare the works of the Lord.

more than even reason, purpose and plan for me!

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

your friend sounds depressed. maybe she needs to hear these scriptures, and the gospel if she's not christian?

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  9
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  05/08/1985

Thanks for all of your opinions guys.

JTC to answer your question. No, I wasn't angry. It was a very calm conversation. She calmly made a comment and I calmly responded to it.

melasthanatos, I like that answer. That would've been a much better answer.

Also, to clear something up in case someone took it the wrong way,.. when I told her that I'm not dying anytime soon, it wasn't because of the future plans I was making for MYSELF, it was because I was basically saying, I still need to do what God put me on this earth to do before I die, and I haven't done it yet. So it was about HIS plans for my future.

*Zion* I love your answer. To respond to your question. I haven't spoken to her in a while and she lives in a different state, so I'm not sure if she is a Christian. The only thing that I can think of is, you're either Christian or you're not. There is no in between. So if she is still the way she used to be, then I would say no, she is not a Christian. Although she said she prayed and read the bible, and every now and then go to church, she would still go out to bars and stuff with her friends.

Thanks!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Plan for the future, but not at the expense of the present.