• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

Proceed

to continue after a pause or interruption.

proceed with his blasphemy? I don't want to be cheeky, but this is what came to my mind when I read this.

Hi GE,

ok. I realize, that I maybe didn't find everything.

Thomas

Good day McGyver

If however I remain calm and address the question, sooner or later they calm down and an opportunity arises to plant a seed, to share the gospel. I don't like many things that they say about God, but God is well able to defend Himself....and we need to remember that Christ died for this fellow also.

I think that our call as Christians is not to "defend" God...our call is to reach them with the glorious gospel of Jesus Christ and let the Holy Spirit do His work in their lives.

I'll leave it to our outstanding moderators to enforce the ToS...and I will try not to violate the ToS...but really, if I as a poster tell him to "knock it off" what would happen?

Although I agree with you on the green one, and even on the blue one - this is true we should not defend our Lord - I want to try to answer the red one.

I mean the same question could be asked concerning racism. How do we react if a poster comes across with an analysis that contains racist remarks? We should stand up and fight.

It's not so much that God needs to be defended:

it is that IMO

- the blasphemy has to get immediately out. If that is done, then you can come with your statements that go in detail. Well - I don't know what else you wrote in the then edited post.

- the mods can't be around 24 hours. I am convinced that GE did a great job, but he is a human and humans don't maybe detect every single bit of blasphemy by themselves right from the start. Together the blasphemy is most likely to be revealed. <- This is just my two cents, maybe it's different.

- let me ask you the following question: once your father is called a relishing murderer, how do you react? sit down calmly and discuss things over a but?

Have you ever been on rally against Nazis? The Nazis standing on the other side with their megaphone wanting to talk...? What do you do? Telling the others: "Yes let's sit down and talk things over?" Well I don't think that this works. Shouting two hours so they'll go away (I'm not allowed to use smear words here according to the ToS) is the alternative. Well, we don't want nonbelievers who discuss in an offensive manner to go away the minute they enter here, but blasphemy is the very first thing that needs to be adressed and then follows all the rest. I didn't want nonbelievers who just happened to discuss things in an inappropriate manner to be compared to Nazis. They way racism is usually tackled just came to my mind and that's the way we could tackle blasphemy, too, I think. Of course we tell Nazis to "knock it off", and that's the way we can tell people who used blasphemy in their posts, to knock it off, too, I think.

Thomas

Edited by thomas t

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1957

Hey Thomas,

To avoid derailing this thread any further, I will simply state that I both understand and respect your position, and leave it at that.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Thomas, let's be clear, who are you accusing of being a blasphemer? Since this the "Outer Court" I will say no more.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

Thomas, let's be clear, who are you accusing of being a blasphemer? Since this the "Outer Court" I will say no more.

My point is not that I want to accuse anyone to be a blasphemer. The OP happened to use blasphemy. I always want to discuss the issue not the person.

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1957

You said there were no civil penalty for disobedience of the Ten Commandments. Being put to death would seem to be a pretty stiff penalty, maybe I misunderstood?

I am curious what you mean when you say "to understand why the law was given in the first place, one must look at the nature of God."

Couple of things...first is that Nebula gave a great reply in post #30, especially addressing the Law and 10 commandments.

But to answer your question.

It has been said that the Bible is the story of Generation, De-generation, and Regeneration...and again I believe that it was B. B. Warfield who likened the OT to a fully furnished and richly appointed room that is dimly lit. In the NT, nothing is added but the light.

The "golden thread" that runs from Genesis through Revelation is Love. The story of God setting into place a mechanism whereby sinful man could be reconciled with a perfect, righteous, and holy God. The key word being reconciled...to restore, make anew, mend the relationship that was rent by sin.

Now to tie this in with the law...

One of the attributes or nature of God is perfection. He is perfect, and therefore His standard is one of perfection.

The Scripture tells us in Galatians 3:23-25 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. (Emphasis mine)

And again: For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. For He who said, “Do not commit adultery,” also said, “Do not murder.” Now if you do not commit adultery, but you do murder, you have become a transgressor of the law. James 2:10-11

So then, the law was given to show us that we could not reach a Holy God by our own efforts...for no one could keep perfectly the whole law either in letter or spirit (except Jesus Christ). Therefore it would take God Himself to make provision for the reconciliation He so fervently desires out of His love for us.

It is best summed up in John 3:16.

The law was given specifically to the Jews, for it was out of the Jews...His chosen people...that Messiah would (in due time) come.

• Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

My point is not that I want to accuse anyone to be a blasphemer. The OP happened to use blasphemy. I always want to discuss the issue not the person.

Why yes he did, you are absolved from sin, my son. Drop something in the Collection Box as you leave. :mgcheerful:

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  443
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

Let's start with the first commandment. Should that be a law in a modern society?

why do you waste our and yours time when its clear that you dont want answers?

Edited by GoldenEagle
Edited... Please no insults follow the ToS.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  443
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

The purpose of the outer court is so those who have a desire to understand more about Christianity can come and interact with Christians and learn. Are you seeking to understand how you might have a relationship with Jesus Christ, agooyers?

One could say I have a desire to understand more about Christianity, in that I want to understand the way Christians think. Christians attribute some rather large claims for their religion, and in the United States especially seek some rather ambitious special consideration for their beliefs, and I want to hear their supporting arguments in that regard.

Of course I am not seeking to have a personal relationship with someone who in my mind a dead man, to my mind the idea is ridiculous, delusional even. And considering this is the "Apologetics" section of the forum, it would seem rather disingenuous of you to then imply that if I adamantly state that I am not willing to be converted, that I'm not allowed to discuss Christianity on this forum. So let me be clear: It would take very compelling evidence to persuade me to believe any metaphysical claim made by anyone. No, I actually do not want to believe in a cosmic being who can read my thoughts, demands that I worship him, and threatens me with eternal torture if I don't accept on faith (ie. belief without evidence) his existence and that I should obey his commands (in my opinion not direct commands, but ancient second hand accounts). I would be willing to believe it if there were compelling evidence of such. I have yet to be presented with any.

Maybe I should ask you a question, gdemoss. Do you intend to ban me now that I have admitted that I want to discuss Christianity, but have absolutely no desire or intention to convert?

instead of asking believers to prove God you should ask God to reveal himself to you and be real about it when you ask not half hearted

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

agooyers

I feel that the Hebrew deity Yahweh's character can be questioned, based on (to my mind) the distressingly immoral and primitive nature of many of his purported deeds and commands.

Enough of this mockery. There is nothing edifying in this thread left to discuss.