• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

I was wondering where the term 'hebrew' originated from, and my questions led me to this web page:

http://www.abarim-pu...ml#.UO7BlXf4D6U

This is literally lifted off the page:

Hebrew 1556b.GIF

Hebrew is a title or nickname rather than a personal name. It was initially given to Abram (Genesis 14:13) but later came to denote the Israelites (1 Samuel 4:6).

The word Hebrew comes from the verb 1556.GIF (abar) meaning to pass over, through, take away. The first application of this word is in the name Eber. The second application is in the first occurrence of the word 1556b.GIF, Hebrew in Genesis 14:13, where Abram is called Hebrew. The first case of narrative use of this verb is in the enigmatic cadaver vision of Genesis 15:17, "...there appeared a smoking furnace and a flaming torch that passed between these parts."

Other derivations of the verb 1556.GIF:

The noun 1556.GIF (eber) is a very common word that means beyond or across, and is used for all kinds of directions and locations usually in contrast to some other location (1 Samuel 26:13, Nehemiah 2:1);

The verb 1556d.GIF (ebra) uses the root figuratively and means an overflowing of temper: wrath and rage. Sometimes this ebra stems in man (Amos 1:11 - he maintained his fury forever) and sometimes in God (Ps 78:49 - He sent on them the heat of his anger, fury and indignation and trouble);

The verb 1556.GIF (abar) means to be arrogant or infuriate oneself (Proverbs 14:16, 20:2).

1556f.GIF (abur) means produce. It is used in Joshua 5:11-12 where the Israelites abandon their diet of manna and begin to eat the yield of Canaan.

Identical to the previous word is the preposition 1556f.GIF (abur), meaning because of, for. This word is always preceded by the particle 193.GIF (be), meaning in or by. HAW Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament explains the relationship with the root as a movement 'from purpose (or cause) to accomplishment (or result).'

1556h.GIF (ma'abar) passage, such as the passage through the river Jabbok (Genesis 32:23) or the passing of a striking staff (Isaiah 30:32). Similar is the feminine 1556i.GIF (ma'bara), passage, wady.

Hebrew means Passed Over or Transitation or One Who Transits

And so, what does this tell us about the Hebrew? Is he one on a constant journey? ever changing from glory to glory as he beholds the face of the Unchanging One? Will there always be something for him to pass over, like an obstacle or difficulty, which is why faith is required of him? Will there always be a passage, road, way before him? The WAY, the TRUTH, the LIFE?

Which one is he? Or is he all those things? Or more?

What do you think??? Please reply with your thoughts :)

Edited by *Zion*

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

quite interesting study. I would like to come back when time permits and do some of my own research. If the Lord wills...