Losing Our Religion - The Growth of the 'Nones'

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  146
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2

This week, Morning Edition explores the "nones" — Americans who say they don't identify with any religion. Demographers have given them this name because when asked to identify their religion, that's their answer: "none."

http://www.wlrn.org/...on-growth-nones

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

When families are looking for churches, I always emphasize the need for active programs for all teenagers and young adults of college age. Most make a commitment to Christ or are lost in middle school. Programs to keep these kids active and growing, including personal discipling, are very much needed. While younger children frequently receive Christ, they need to recommit daily as we all do.

Too often traditional churches have confirmation but nothing for teens after that.

Even Samuel had to be taught by Eli how to recognize God's voice. His schooling began after he was weened, at maybe 4 years, as recorded in 1 Samuel 2-3.

But our kids attend godless schools that instead teach muslim or the Koran while forbidding the worship of God or the mention of Jesus.

Many more are lost in our godless universities.

yes, when i was younger we had all sorts of programs for youth, and even as i got older, i was involved in a church with a dynamic singles ministry. it makes a BIG difference. i think there are soooooo many reasons for the slide away from God. it would be interesting to try to compile a list of factors that may be contributing to America's growing apostasy.

it would be interesting to try to compile a list of factors that may be contributing to America's growing apostasy.

I'll start. :)

Television.

it would be interesting to try to compile a list of factors that may be contributing to America's growing apostasy.

Television.

I'll add consumerism. Speaking from Australian matters.

Television.

as in something like the decline of moral values as depicted in programs, such as less censoring of profane language, sexual activity, increasing acceptance (promotion?) of lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender lifestyles, extreme bias/opinion in news reporting/commentary on current events, etc.?

Television.

such as in product advertising presented in a fantasy setting that doesn't represent the "real world," programs where no one works at a job but everyone drives a luxury auto/sports car, lives in a million-dollar home, eats breakfast/lunch/dinner in a 5-star restaurant, everyone "needs" the latest, greatest, most expensive new items released in the marketplace, alcohol/drug consumption is a daily part of modern-day life, etc.?

Television.

cool start i think. i'll throw in the breakdown of the family unit, with both parents working and taking a less-active part in their children's daily lives.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Television.

Hmmmm. Those things do have alot of static electricity. I'm forever dusting ours off because it is near the wood stove.

character0114-Copy_zpsc5e5e1dd.gif

Nope. I would have to state the watering down of the Bible and theological liberalism and the social gospel being preached

from pulpits

Unless of course you mean the pseudo religious programming that passes for the gospel on channels like TBN and others

Wonder how much changed the day God was evicted from schools, prayer from classrooms and Christian beliefs just basically relegated to a

place buried under that well proven 'theory' of Mr Darwins.............

Television.

Hmmmm. Those things do have alot of static electricity. I'm forever dusting ours off because it is near the wood stove.

character0114-Copy_zpsc5e5e1dd.gif

Nope. I would have to state the watering down of the Bible and theological liberalism and the social gospel being preached

from pulpits

Unless of course you mean the pseudo religious programming that passes for the gospel on channels like TBN and others

Wonder how much changed the day God was evicted from schools, prayer from classrooms and Christian beliefs just basically relegated to a

place buried under that well proven 'theory' of Mr Darwins.............

yep, that's some good ones. even Darwin was wigged out by the reaction to his book and claims he was aetheistic (he was a Christian and had just finished his first step on the path to becoming a member of the clergy when he signed on with FitzRoy and HMS Beagle.) in a letter to Asa Gray he wrote:

"I am inclined to look at everything as resulting from designed laws, with the details, whether good or bad, left to the working out of what we may call chance. Not that this notion at all satisfies me. I feel most deeply that the whole subject is too profound for the human intellect. A dog might as well speculate on the mind of Newton.— Let each man hope & believe what he can.— " Charles Darwin May 22, 1860 you can read the whole letter here: < http://www.darwinproject.ac.uk/entry-2814 >

i often use part of that quote as an email signature line... ;)