• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Actually, what I would like to see more then numbers, is percentages. what percentage of car owners die in auto related deaths (all inclusive) compared to what percentage of people die from firearms (all included)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

All deaths by guns:

2011: 32,163

2010: 31,672

2009: 31,347

2008: 31,593

2007: 31,224

2006: 30,896

2005: 30,694

2004: 29,569

2003: 30,136

2002: 30,242

2001: 29,573

2000: 28,663

1999: 28,874

All death by automobiles: (I would of used a different resource, but I found none broken down already)

Year .......Deaths

Death Goes Into Overtime

There is a generation, whose teeth are as swords, and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from among men.There is a generation, whose teeth are as swords, and their jaw teeth as knives, to devour the poor from off the earth, and the needy from among men. Proverbs 30:14

And The National Protectors Of The Children Take A Long Holiday

In 1996, a total of 1,221,585 legal induced abortions were reported to CDC, representing a slight increase of 0.9% from the number reported for 1995 (6) (Table 1). From 1970 through 1982, the reported number of legal abortions in the United States increased every year (Table 2; Figure 1); the largest percentage increase occurred from 1970 to 1971. From 1976 through 1982, the annual increase declined and reached a low of 0.2% during 1980-1981 and during 1981-1982. From 1983 through 1990, the number of abortions increased again, although moderately (less than or equal to 5% from year to year). However, despite the slight increase in the number of abortions in 1996 compared with 1995, during 1990-1995, the annual number of abortions decreased each year.

The national legal induced abortion ratio (number of legal abortions per 1,000 live births) increased from 1970 through 1980, peaked at 364 per 1,000 live births in 1984, and began to decline steadily in 1987, from 356 per 1,000 to 311 per 1,000 in 1995 (Figure 1; Table 2). From 1995 to 1996, the national abortion ratio increased slightly, from 311 to 314. The national legal induced abortion rate increased from five abortions per 1,000 women aged 15-44 years in 1970 to 25 per 1,000 in 1980. From 1981 through 1992, the rate remained stable at 23-24 abortions per 1,000 women, then declined to 22 in 1993, to 21 in 1994, and to 20 in 1995. In 1996, the abortion rate remained stable at 20 abortions per 1,000 women.

In 1996, as in previous years, most legal induced abortions were performed in California, New York City, Texas, and Florida; the fewest were performed in Wyoming, South Dakota, Idaho, and North Dakota (Table 3) (6). For women whose state of residence was known, approximately 92% had obtained the abortion within the state in which they resided. The percentage of abortions obtained by out-of-state residents ranged from approximately 50% in the District of Columbia to less than 0.5% in Hawaii. For 1996, eight reporting areas could not provide data concerning abortions obtained by out-of-state residents.

Women aged 20-24 years obtained approximately one third (32%) of all abortions; women aged less than 15 years obtained less than 1% of all abortions (Table 4). Abortion ratios were highest for the youngest women (i.e., 723 abortions per 1,000 live births for women aged less than 15 years and 415 per 1,000 for women aged 15-19 years) and for the oldest women (376 per 1,000 live births for women aged 40-44 years). The ratio was lowest for women aged 30-34 years (165 per 1,000 live births) (Figure 2; Table 4). Among adolescents, the abortion ratio was highest for those aged less than 15 years and lowest for those aged 19 years (Table 5).

In contrast to abortion ratios, abortion rates were highest for women aged 20-24 years (38 abortions per 1,000 women) and lowest for women at the extremes of reproductive-age (i.e., two abortions per 1,000 women aged less than 15 years [i.e., 13-14 years] and two per 1,000 women aged 40-44 years) (Table 4).

For women in most age groups, the abortion ratio increased from 1974 through the early 1980s and declined thereafter, particularly for the youngest and oldest reproductive-aged women (Figure 3). Abortion ratios for women aged less than 15 years have been and remain higher than those for the other age groups. Although abortion ratios increased slightly for women aged less than 15 and 15-19 years from 1995 to 1996, these ratios remained among the lowest ever recorded for these age groups. The abortion ratio for women aged 20-34 years (i.e., the group with the highest fertility rate) (7) has remained stable since the mid-1980s.

In 1996, approximately 54% of reported legal induced abortions were obtained at less than or equal to 8 weeks of gestation, and approximately 87% at less than 13 weeks (Table 6). Approximately 16% of abortions were performed during the earliest weeks of gestation (less than or equal to 6 weeks), approximately 17% at 7 weeks, and approximately 21% at 8 weeks (Table 7). Few abortions were provided after 15 weeks of gestation -- approximately 4% of abortions were obtained at 16-20 weeks, and 1.5% were obtained at greater than or equal to 21 weeks (Figure 4; Table 6). http://www.cdc.gov/m...ml/ss4804a1.htm

Guest ninhao

Actually, what I would like to see more then numbers, is percentages. what percentage of car owners die in auto related deaths (all inclusive) compared to what percentage of people die from firearms (all included)

I did some very rough estimates using unverified data.

32,163 total death by gun ( Onelights figures)

75,000,000 Gun owners in USA ( http://cnsnews.com/n...unters-5-1-2011 )

= 0.043 % deaths per gun owner.

32,367 total car deaths ( Onelights figures )

196,165,666 total licensed drivers ( http://cnsnews.com/n...unters-5-1-2011 )

= 0.0165% deaths per licensed driver.

Therefor the rate of death by gun per gun owner is 0.043/0.0165 = 2.6 times or 260 % more than death by car per licensed driver.

( these stats are extremely unsound and don't mean very much )

Now death by gun while driving is another matter :D

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  249
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

What has the amount of road deaths got to do with gun deaths. It has nothing to do with the issue. Statistics can be used to back up nearly any argument. My question still stands, unless in war, why would anyone need a semi automatic rifle.

"Guns don't kill people, people do". Yes the person is doing the killing but I guarantee he has more of a chance of succeeding with a gun.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  05/29/1960

It's illegal to own guns in Mexico! How many people have died and who is doing the killing?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  596
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,047
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

What has the amount of road deaths got to do with gun deaths. It has nothing to do with the issue. Statistics can be used to back up nearly any argument. My question still stands, unless in war, why would anyone need a semi automatic rifle.

"Guns don't kill people, people do". Yes the person is doing the killing but I guarantee he has more of a chance of succeeding with a gun.

Anyone who is hunting wild pigs....

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  2

Columbine

Guess our national leaders didn't expect this. On Thursday, Darrell Scott, the father of Rachel Scott, a victim of the Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colorado, was invited to address the House Judiciary Committee's subcommittee. What he said to our national leaders during this special session of Congress was painfully truthful.

They were not prepared for what he was to say, nor was it received well. It needs to be heard by every parent, every teacher, every politician, every sociologist, every psychologist, and every so-called expert! These courageous words spoken by Darrell Scott are powerful, penetrating, and deeply personal. There is no doubt that God sent this man as a voice crying in the wilderness. The following is a portion of the transcript:

"Since the dawn of creation there has been both good &evil in the hearts of men and women. We all contain the seeds of kindness or the seeds of violence. The death of my wonderful daughter, Rachel Joy Scott, and the deaths of that heroic teacher, and the other eleven children who died must not be in vain. Their blood cries out for answers.

"The first recorded act of violence was when Cain slew his brother Abel out in the field. The villain was not the club he used.. Neither was it the NCA, the National Club Association. The true killer was Cain, and the reason for the murder could only be found in Cain's heart.

"In the days that followed the Columbine tragedy, I was amazed at how quickly fingers began to be pointed at groups such as the NRA. I am not a member of the NRA. I am not a hunter. I do not even own a gun. I am not here to represent or defend the NRA - because I don't believe that they are responsible for my daughter's death. Therefore I do not believe that they need to be defended. If I believed they had anything to do with Rachel's murder I would be their strongest opponent.

I am here today to declare that Columbine was not just a tragedy -- it was a spiritual event that should be forcing us to look at where the real blame lies! Much of the blame lies here in this room. Much of the blame lies behind the pointing fingers of the accusers themselves. I wrote a poem just four nights ago that expresses my feelings best.

Your laws ignore our deepest needs,

Your words are empty air.

You've stripped away our heritage,

You've outlawed simple prayer.

Now gunshots fill our classrooms,

And precious children die.

You seek for answers everywhere,

And ask the question "Why?"

You regulate restrictive laws,

Through legislative creed.

And yet you fail to understand,

That God is what we need!

"Men and women are three-part beings. We all consist of body, mind, and spirit. When we refuse to acknowledge a third part of our make-up, we create a void that allows evil, prejudice, and hatred to rush in and wreak havoc. Spiritual presences were present within our educational systems for most of our nation's history. Many of our major colleges began as theological seminaries. This is a historical fact. What has happened to us as a nation? We have refused to honor God, and in so doing, we open the doors to hatred and violence. And when something as terrible as Columbine's tragedy occurs -- politicians immediately look for a scapegoat such as the NRA. They immediately seek to pass more restrictive laws that contribute to erode away our personal and private liberties. We do not need more restrictive laws. Eric and Dylan would not have been stopped by metal detectors. No amount of gun laws can stop someone who spends months planning this type of massacre. The real villain lies within our own hearts.

"As my son Craig lay under that table in the school library and saw his two friends murdered before his very eyes, he did not hesitate to pray in school. I defy any law or politician to deny him that right! I challenge every young person in America , and around the world, to realize that on April 20, 1999, at Columbine High School prayer was brought back to our schools. Do not let the many prayers offered by those students be in vain. Dare to move into the new millennium with a sacred disregard for legislation that violates your God-given right to communicate with Him. To those of you who would point your finger at the NRA -- I give to you a sincere challenge.. Dare to examine your own heart before casting the first stone!

My daughter's death will not be in vain! The young people of this country will not allow that to happen!"

• Darrell Scott

yes! that is the plain and simple truth of the matter, If they took away all the guns hate filled hearts would find alternative means such as poisons and explosives or even a simple house filled with gas fumes has proven to be a dangerous weapon, shall we now regulate how much gas you can use in your furnace.................there won't be enough laws to stop evil in the hearts of men

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  538
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Days Won:  2

the guns people have were never a legal right to own for the sole purpose of hunting and target shooting, they were a right to every citizen for the purpose that "we the people" are supposed to be in charge of the government, but in the case that the government got to big, or started attacking its citzens, the people had the means to take back their government, this is historical fact!

actually in the weapons we now see the military have, even the full autos would have a small effect