missmuffet

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

As I understand it everyone is written in the book of life.Only the believers are written in the Lamb's book of life.And the people who are written in the Lamb's book of life can never be blotted out of that book.

http://www.gotquestions.org/Lambs-book-of-life.html

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

I think they're the same. As I understand, this verse is simply assuring that the overcomer's name won't be blotted out; without an implication that it will if he doesn't overcome.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

They're are the same.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Revelation 20:15 tells us "And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire." This is at the Great White Throne Judgment. If everyone was written in the Book of Life, nobody would be cast into the lake of fire.

• Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Revelation 20:15 tells us "And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire." This is at the Great White Throne Judgment. If everyone was written in the Book of Life, nobody would be cast into the lake of fire.

Truth, so what are you saying.

Answering the OP. She said that she thought everyone was in the Book of Life. As for them being the same, there is no proof one way or the other. Scripture speaks of the Book of Life and the Lambs Book of Life, with no distinction of them being the same or different. We can only assume they are the same or different.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1957

I am of the opinion that they are the same book...because at the "Great White Throne" judgment I believe that it is Christ as God who is doing the judging.

John 5:21-22 says: For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will. For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, (emphasis mine)

Again: John 26-30: For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself, and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man. Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me.

Matthew 5: 31-32: “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1957

Answering the OP. She said that she thought everyone was in the Book of Life. As for them being the same, there is no proof one way or the other. Scripture speaks of the Book of Life and the Lambs Book of Life, with no distinction of them being the same or different. We can only assume they are the same or different.

Absolutely correct...I think that the only thing we can really be dogmatic about is rejoicing that our names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life!

As I said earlier, I personally think that they are the same book...but to be fair, drawing from Jewish belief it would seem that there are 2 separate books: The Book of Life, and the Lamb's Book of Life.

A broad overview is that the Jews held that The Book of Life contained the names of everyone ever born...and that persisting in sin against God could result in one's name being blotted out (removed) from the Book of Life.

In Psalm 69: 27b-28 the Psalmist writes: And let them not come into Your righteousness.Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, And not be written with the righteous. (Emphasis mine),

Psalm 9:6 says: You have rebuked the nations, You have destroyed the wicked; You have blotted out their name forever and ever.

And in Exodus 32:32-34 we see the Lord Himself declaring that He will blot out names from the book: Yet now, if You will forgive their sin—but if not, I pray, blot me out of Your book which You have written.”

And the Lord said to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book. Now therefore, go, lead the people to the place of which I have spoken to you. Behold, My Angel shall go before you. Nevertheless, in the day when I visit for punishment, I will visit punishment upon them for their sin.”

So...there may very well be two books...

I believe they are the same book.

Daniel 12

1. “At that time Michael shall stand up,

The great prince who stands watch over the sons of your people;

And there shall be a time of trouble,

Such as never was since there was a nation,

Even to that time.

And at that time your people shall be delivered,

Every one who is found written in the book.

Daniel and the other writers of the bible couldn't call it the Lamb's Book of Life because the Lamb hadn't been born yet.

Also, if a name is removed from the Book of Life, wouldn't it also be removed from the Lamb's Book of Life? What would be the purpose of having 2 books of life?

Something else to ponder.

If one's name cannot be blotted from the Book of Life, why is the term "blotted out" even mentioned?

The Lord makes it clear that He is able to blot/remove names from the Book of Life. Names that are blotted from the Book of Life are names that were once in the Book of Life. What that means is, our names can indeed be blotted from the Book of Life.

Absolutely correct...I think that the only thing we can really be dogmatic about is rejoicing that our names are written in the Lamb's Book of Life!

As I said earlier, I personally think that they are the same book...but to be fair, drawing from Jewish belief it would seem that there are 2 separate books: The Book of Life, and the Lamb's Book of Life.

A broad overview is that the Jews held that The Book of Life contained the names of everyone ever born...and that persisting in sin against God could result in one's name being blotted out (removed) from the Book of Life.

In Psalm 69: 27b-28 the Psalmist writes: And let them not come into Your righteousness.Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, And not be written with the righteous. (Emphasis mine),

Psalm 9:6 says: You have rebuked the nations, You have destroyed the wicked; You have blotted out their name forever and ever.

And in Exodus 32:32-34 we see the Lord Himself declaring that He will blot out names from the book: Yet now, if You will forgive their sin—but if not, I pray, blot me out of Your book which You have written.”

And the Lord said to Moses, “Whoever has sinned against Me, I will blot him out of My book. Now therefore, go, lead the people to the place of which I have spoken to you. Behold, My Angel shall go before you. Nevertheless, in the day when I visit for punishment, I will visit punishment upon them for their sin.”

So...there may very well be two books...

It seems that the verse below speaks of Jesus not blotting out the names of those who overcome. The reverse would mean that He will blot out the names of those who do not overcome. This is not found just in the OT.

Revelation 3:5

He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments, and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life; but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.