• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Of course you can, there are millions of rich believers.

Whats your point?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Well, it just occurs to me that there are also millions of malnourished, hungry, poverty struck people. So I'm wondering how you would square an excess of personal wealth with the Christian duty to succour the poor. It's a genuine question, not an attempt to get at anyone.

Edited by ecoTramp

Luk 12:16-21 KJV And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully: (17) And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits? (18) And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods. (19) And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. (20) But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided? (21) So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

You can be a rich Christian, but must not be greedy or ungenerous.

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Well, it just occurs to me that there are also millions of malnourished, hungry, poverty struck people. So I'm wondering how you would square an excess of personal wealth with the Christian duty to succour the poor. It's a genuine question, not an attempt to get at anyone.

It's a good question, and I guess the answer depends on your personal observation to a degree. I know many wealth Christians, some in my church, who distributive their wealth in a myriad of ways, from the orphanage we run here to helping the less wealthy in our own church, to sending people who need it on holiday, and paying for doctors bills. And a lot of other stff, some they probably don't talk about. God made Job, David, Solomon, Lydia, and a good few others rich. (not all good examples perhaps, but Davids story is amazing)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

It's a good question, and I guess the answer depends on your personal observation to a degree. I know many wealth Christians, some in my church, who distributive their wealth in a myriad of ways, from the orphanage we run here to helping the less wealthy in our own church, to sending people who need it on holiday, and paying for doctors bills. And a lot of other stff, some they probably don't talk about. God made Job, David, Solomon, Lydia, and a good few others rich. (not all good examples perhaps, but Davids story is amazing)

I agree Fez.

Being rich does not mean a strive for money. But hoarding it, can be a problem. As long as your eyes are set first on the Kingdom of God, and helping others I see no reason as to why it would be a problem.

A good example of this is the rich man in the parable Christ talks about. It was not that this man was rich that was the problem, it was his greed.

God bless you, Love to you in Him.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  44
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Hmmm. I agree with you both, that there are generous rich people. That is why I was careful to say I am not getting at anyone. But, in this context, what do you make of these quotes:

30 million people a year die of hunger. And 800 million suffer from chronic mulnutrition.

Food is not in short supply. In fact, food products have never been so abundant. There is enough available to provide each of the Earth's inhabitants with at least 2700 calories per day. But production alone is not enough.

The UN calculates that the whole of the world population's basic needs for food, drinking water, education and medical care could be covered by a levy of less than 4% on the accumulated wealth of the world's 225 largest fortunes. To satisfy all the world's sanitation and food requirements would would cost only $13bn, hardly as much as the people of the United States and European Union spend on perfume.

Ignacio Ramenez, 'The Politics of Hunger', Le Monde Diplomatique, November 1998.

Best wishes, eco.

Edited by ecoTramp

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

So yes, you said it Eco, and assuming those statistics are right, then I'm reminded of the statement Jesus said, about it being very hard for a rich man to enter Heaven. Either we need our wealthy Christians to be even more generous, or too many of the wealthy people aren't Christians at all, and that's why we have these statistics.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

... can you be both rich and Christian?

Why not? If one is a true Christian, they will follow His leading as to what to do with the money. I am a believer that I own nothing, but am given what I have to do His will with. If I do not do His will, am I justified to call myself a Christian? I guess it all comes down to whether or not a person is a true believer and follower of Christ Jesus or if they are following their own will, calling it the will of God.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Hmmm. I agree with you both, that there are generous rich people. That is why I was careful to say I am not getting at anyone. But, in this context, what do you make of these quotes:

30 million people a year die of hunger. And 800 million suffer from chronic mulnutrition.

Food is not in short supply. In fact, food products have never been so abundant. There is enough available to provide each of the Earth's inhabitants with at least 2700 calories per day. But production alone is not enough.

The UN calculates that the whole of the world population's basic needs for food, drinking water, education and medical care could be covered by a levy of less than 4% on the accumulated wealth of the world's 225 largest fortunes. To satisfy all the world's sanitation and food requirements would would cost only $13bn, hardly as much as the people of the United States and European Union spend on perfume.

Ignacio Ramenez, 'The Politics of Hunger', Le Monde Diplomatique, November 1998.

Best wishes, eco.

Ok, so how how would not being rich do anything for these needs?