• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

Men need to know how to shop, i.e.: how to find a bargain. Learn which generic item is as good as a brand name, which gasoline is best for their car, which mechanic will fix their properly for the best rate and so forth.

Men need to know when to step up for themselves (and others too) and not be afraid of proper confrontation, not necessarily fighting but just when to say "OK, ENOUGH!"

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

You are going into the bush or whatever y'all call it over there and Worthy is going to fall to pieces, how could you do this to us, Fez. :runforhills:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

Fez, I think you have hit on a great idea. Young men need to learn how to be self sufficient/resilient as possible.

It makes for realizing they have the capacity to be successful in this one area and if in this one, then in others as well.

I suspect that attitudes in Africa may be much different than those in the USA, however respect for others grows from

having self respect, so I believe this would be a good place to work on. We westerners could work on this as well.

Maybe you could have them do only chores that women normally do so that they can get a taste of the life of the woman in

their life. Walking a mile in her shoes so to speak. [This might also work the other way round!]

I assume that they are already being taught about Jesus and salvation, so other than this statement, I suppose this does not

need to be mentioned.

I pray that God bless your every effort in teaching His children!

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Okay, here comes my rant. :laugh:

I would suggest men be taught the husband is indeed the spiritual and physical head of the wife and family, but we are not inferior to you. We are your partners, not your property.

We want to be heard, and not just listened to. (Figure that out for yourselves)

Teach them that providing for and protecting their wives is important, but what we want and need the most is your love and affection. Don't stop wooing a woman after you marry her.

Keeping your promises is a MUST!

Teach men to stop being so indecisive. Make a decision and stick to it.

When you ask us for our advice, take it to heart. Don't ask if you really have no intention of following it.

Teach them that men and woman are indeed wired differently. We approach subjects from entirely different directions. And our conclusions may be polar opposite from yours. That doesn't mean either of us are wrong.

The little things/details are VERY important to us. We drink in small acts of affection (a rose, a hug, touch, or compliment) like WATER!

Teach them to be man enough to apologize when they realize they are wrong.

Don't assume we'll think less of you when you make a mistake.

Don't assume we love you any less when we're angry with you.

Teach them that acts of affection toward your wife in public doesn't make you less "manly."

Don't make us feel your buddies are more important to you than us.

How you treat the things/people we love goes a long way to show how much you love us.

We know that the "physical act of love" in marriage is important to you. Please realize the affection you show us afterward is just as important to us.

Don't neglect to appreciate the things your wife does (keeps a clean house, cooks dinner, manages the family budget, drives the children where they need to be, etc., etc.) even if you feel they are not as "important" as your job.

Cuddling with us on the couch while watching a movie is worth more to us than a diamond ring. (Well, almost as important! :laugh:)

Realize that showing/telling your wife you love her is as important to us and it is for us to show/tell you how much we respect you.

You are a man, ACT like a man. (Figure that one out for yourselves too!)

If we spend over an hour on our hair, makeup, and outfit to look nice for you, would it kill you to acknowledge that we look nice? :foot-stomp:

Some of these things I've mentioned may seem shallow, and actually might be, but it doesn't make them any less valid in our eyes.

We can look beyond/forgive your faults from the past - please look beyond/forgive ours.

More later - it depends on my mood!

:thumbsup: Also we are not a doormat to your abuse.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.49
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

I am opening this to the general boards because I also need, and value advice from our sisters about us being men.

A couple of young men at a church I know have started something that I am considering starting at our church.

They have put a list together of fun things men can do that will be informative and helpful in everyday life. I want to start something similar with the younger guys in our church. They have come up with some interesting stuff like metal welding, servicing a car (oil change, etc), basic electrical and plumbing, all things my father taught me and have stood me in good stead over the ears. (they do this over weekends and one of the older guys who knows stuff teaches them). They are even learning fighting (the good stuff, like simple karate and self control)

But there is more to being a man than fixing a leak (there is a great amount of satisfaction when you do however....). So to our sisters here, what would you want a young man (teenager), a believer, to learn that would make him a better man (not womanly pursuits, and we have the oil change covered).

In a more cerebral and less physical sense I guess.

Oh, and guys, any ideas wold be welcome as well (we have target shooting covered).

This is such an awesome idea. I've noticed in many congregaions there is a separation between the older and younger generations. This is an awesome way to bridge the gap.

Some idea's, Train the kids teaching the Word, evangelism, and leadership, construction, grill, hunting, fishing, gardening, etc. Any skill that can be passed down would be awesome.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Hey BFP,

You seem to know about plumbing. I didn't explain properly. Most of us had running water. I'm on the 2nd floor of a building. I added extra water to the bowel, and it still wouldn't go down. Why, any idea?

And now at the pharmacy across the street. When we flushed, it came up higher in the bowel. Even the plunger didn't help. But eventually it went down.

When you flush a bowel, and once the water gets to wear it's no longer in the building, where is it? I hope that makes sense.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Hey BFP,

You seem to know about plumbing. I didn't explain properly. Most of us had running water. I'm on the 2nd floor of a building. I added extra water to the bowel, and it still wouldn't go down. Why, any idea?

And now at the pharmacy across the street. When we flushed, it came up higher in the bowel. Even the plunger didn't help. But eventually it went down.

When you flush a bowel, and once the water gets to wear it's no longer in the building, where is it? I hope that makes sense.

Oh,oh extra water to the bowel is not a good thing :grin:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,822
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/16/1967

we started something similar in the small town i was living in fez were the older males in my church discussed how men can be more effective were they reach out to the younger males with in the church and with in the community

what we did was what these young guys are already doing but focused on the community close to our church

for example

mowing lawns

fixing fences

gardening setting up even a vegtable garden

offering to take an elderly person shopping

what we also did was reach out to the single fathers

some of the older guys passed on their skills

wood work metal work and even cooking as not many males know how to cook a lot of males depend on their mothers or partners or get take out

computer classes

fixing a computer running programs basic computer skills

home care

how to keep your home clean also personal care