• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

How on earth does one attack legalism? je ne comprends pas (French: Translation - I do not understand)

Jesus did.

Edited by GoldenEagle
<<< To add French translation to Sevenseas quote. >>>

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

How on earth does one attack legalism? je ne comprends pas (French: Translation - I do not understand)

Jesus did.

That is EXACTLY what I meant by my question. Someone posted in this thread that legalism was being attacked. How can you attack legalism? It's not a good

thing to begin with.

Anyway, a can of worms has been opened again and I really do not want to deal with the wiggly things.

Edited by GoldenEagle
<<< Quote French translation >>>

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Please let's stay on topic. This thread pertains to legalistic views of God and people as mentioned in the OP.

The definition of legalism is discussed on another thread here:

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Please let's stay on topic. This thread pertains to legalistic views of God and people as mentioned in the OP.

The definition of legalism is discussed on another thread here:

What is the point of the thread? I did go through and answered how I view those things, and so did Tinky on a few issues. Are you just trying to get us to acknowledge where we hold what are considered to be legalistic views, and if so, to what end? I can acknowledge it, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss legalistic ideas (using the definition I've given below previously in another thread) that may or may not be in Scripture. While you may not see anything wrong with it others may not hold to the same view that legalistic ideas (using the definition I've given below previously in another thread) are good brother.

For the sake of this discussion and the intent of the OP this is the definition being used for the term "legalism". Made a note and edited the OP for clarification.

The working definition for legalism on this thread is taken from here:

What is legalism?

http://dictionary.re...se/legalism?s=t

noun

1. strict adherence, or the principle of strict adherence, to law or prescription, especially to the letter rather than the spirit.

2. Theology .

a. the doctrine that salvation is gained through good works.

b. the judging of conduct in terms of adherence to precise laws.

I'm not sure how many others would agree to the definition as you presented Butero in the webster's dictionary ": strict, literal, or excessive conformity to the law or to a religious or moral code <the institutionalized legalism that restricts free choice>". But again the definition of legalism is discussed and debated on another thread here: Feel free to debate whether legalism is good there. :)

How on earth does one attack legalism? je ne comprends pas

Jesus did.

Jesus did not attack legalism. He attacked hypocrisy and the way the religious crowd created loopholes around keeping the law. ...

Do you fear breaking the Law, Butero? Or rather do you fear breaking God's heart?

Do you wrap your identity around keeping the Law? Or do you wrap your identity around the person of Jesus?

Do you center your life around the Law? Or do you center you life around God's love?

The "rich young ruler" kept the Law in his heart. Yet Jesus was after something more. Could the Law define that something more?

I believe that if you really love Jesus, you will keep his laws. If you don't, it is a sign you aren't really one of his. In post 26, I gave scriptures from 1 John that basically say that. If you break God's laws, you break his heart.

:emot-crying:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I believe that if you really love Jesus, you will keep his laws. If you don't, it is a sign you aren't really one of his. In post 26, I gave scriptures from 1 John that basically say that. If you break God's laws, you break his heart.

Yet you can keep every law seven ways from Sunday and from sunrise to sunset and it still will not make you righteous before God.

Only the righteousness of Jesus makes us righteous.

We have imputed righteousness. The law simply revealed sin. The law condemns everyone who tries to keep it and the law judges those who judge others by the law.

1It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

2Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. Gal 5

Circumcise your heart...not your flesh...the only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

Jesus said "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean.

Matt 23:27

Someone will say that a woman wearing slacks is an abomination

If you are a man, do you cut your sideburns? Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard. Lev.19:27

Do you wear clothing made from two kinds of material? That is breaking the law too “‘Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. Lev 19:1

If you keep the law, do you offer animal sacrifice so that your sins will be atoned for? “‘When you sacrifice a fellowship offeringa to the Lord, sacrifice it in such a way that it will be accepted on your behalf. 6It shall be eaten on the day you sacrifice it or on the next day; anything left over until the third day must be burned up. 7If any of it is eaten on the third day, it is impure and will not be accepted. 8Whoever eats it will be held responsible because he has desecrated what is holy to the Lord; that person must be cut off from his people. Lev 19

And we have barely begun to all there is to observe

If anyone is going to observe the law and tell others to do the same, you must obey all the law. If you pick and choose what is convenient, then are you not just like the white washed tombs?

Where is your righteousness? Who is your priest that you must observe the law?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,185
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  02/19/1971

Legalism is probably the greatest tool of satan to keep Christians from living victorious lives in Christ. All of us have been tainted by legalism. It left some very great wounds on my own Christian life and experience. I've been saved for over 20 years and some things I'm still recovering from.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

Butero,

I think I agree with you. I have been reading my Bible and really studying it for the last oh...6 hours now. The Bible talks about Grace, but it also talks about us striving for holiness. Jesus said that the ones who keep His commandments are His friends. But, He knows we are not perfect, and keeping the law itself will only lead to failure with out Jesus, that is where grace comes in.

I decided I had to read the Bible and seek God about this today instead of listening to other people. I think the Devil likes to use the "free pass to sin" card to deceive Christians and drag them to hell, or at least preach it to other people so they get dragged to hell.

To profess Jesus as Lord and Savior with our mouths and mind is one thing....but to actually follow Him and OBEY Him as sheep is to love Him and know Him with our hearts.

There is scripture that says "Forgive others, so the Father will fogive you." Sounds pretty cut and dry to me. I don't doubt there will be thousands of "Christians" going to hell. If you are not born again and do not truley love the Lord with your heart, mind, and soul, you will not strive for holiness, you will think of your salvation as a free ticket to sin.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  602
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  0

I think what Butero is saying, which I agree with, is that we need to keep God's moral laws which are written on our hearts...on everyones hearts even non-believers.

The other stuff that was from the old covenant about sacrifices and what foods to eat/not eat, are all legalism and do not matter anymore.

A true Christian who has the Holy Spirit in them will strive to keep the moral laws God gives us, we will strive for holiness. But repentance is still important, so is prayer, and humbling yourself with fasting. These are acts of worship.