GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not the OP. Here’s all 7 threads relating to Legalism I’ve started…

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the OP and subject/topic of this thread.

Has anyone seen the new Les Miserables? With Anne Hathaway winning an Oscar I was reminded of this story.

I have long loved the story of Jean Valjean’s redemption. I grew up watching a little-known movie version of the story, and read the book when I was 12 or 13. The fact that Valjean served 19 years hard labor for stealing a single loaf of bread, became bitter and cynical, and then found redemption through the kindness of a priest, has always intrigued me. But when I went to see the movie two days after Christmas, I saw something I had never seen before, in spite of my multiple viewings of the many movie versions, my reading of the book, my countless times listening to the musical soundtrack, and my previous stage viewing. About ten minutes in, I realized something:

Les Miserables is the story of two men, Jean Valjean, and Inspector Javert, and these two men embody the constant struggle between grace and legalism.

See: Les Miserables: The Struggle between Legalism and Grace – Part 1

So what do you think? Did you watch it?

God bless,

GE

Edit: For clarification the working definition for legalism on this thread is taken from page__st__20#entry1877865. This is not a discussion on the definition of legalism.

What is legalism?

http://dictionary.re...se/legalism?s=t

noun

1. strict adherence, or the principle of strict adherence, to law or prescription, especially to the letter rather than the spirit.

2. Theology .

a. the doctrine that salvation is gained through good works.

b. the judging of conduct in terms of adherence to precise laws.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Good point!

(I've only seen the previous, non-musical, movie.)

The act of the priest made a huge impact on me, how he can be so daring in his faith that his sacrifice would bear fruit, and that he gave away these things so willingly to save a soul.