• Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.28
  • Days Won:  19

Grace to you,

I have a sincere question.

Let me preface it;

It is said, in the Romish Church and Doctrine, that once a Roman Catholic Pope is confirmed a Pope that he becomes Infallible.

There's a alot of headlines concerning Pope Benedict retiring which hasn't happened in ages. With it comes alot of questions and concerns. Two Popes in St. Peter's, What does a retired Pope do, etc. etc. etc.?

My question is this concerning the Romish Doctrine of Infallibilty.

It's stated in a headline I just read that the Pope is no longer infallible because he now defers to the new infallible Pope.

How can one lose Infallibility once it's inferred? Is it an office thing?

Peace,

Dave

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  106
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  05/20/1988

I'd say that's a very good question. I would presume that this has a lot to do with the idea that God's grace is upon the Pope more than a "mere human." The basic idea that God's Spirit resides in him, more fully than it apparently did before that. But in the long run it has a great deal to do with credibility. Le's say the Pope says something crazy, like saying gay marriage is okay, then theoretically speaking he would be "infallible" as he is the one who is charged by God to oversee the church. What he says must be of God. After the office is removed, God would no longer be speaking through him, therefore fallible.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4

I'd say that's a very good question. I would presume that this has a lot to do with the idea that God's grace is upon the Pope more than a "mere human." The basic idea that God's Spirit resides in him, more fully than it apparently did before that. But in the long run it has a great deal to do with credibility. Le's say the Pope says something crazy, like saying gay marriage is okay, then theoretically speaking he would be "infallible" as he is the one who is charged by God to oversee the church. What he says must be of God. After the office is removed, God would no longer be speaking through him, therefore fallible.

Good answer.

Can you flesh that out with scriptural backing?

I'd say that's a very good question. I would presume that this has a lot to do with the idea that God's grace is upon the Pope more than a "mere human." The basic idea that God's Spirit resides in him, more fully than it apparently did before that. But in the long run it has a great deal to do with credibility. Le's say the Pope says something crazy, like saying gay marriage is okay, then theoretically speaking he would be "infallible" as he is the one who is charged by God to oversee the church. What he says must be of God. After the office is removed, God would no longer be speaking through him, therefore fallible....

Good answer.

Can you flesh that out with scriptural backing?

For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance. Romans 11:29

It is said, in the Romish Church and Doctrine, that once a Roman Catholic Pope is confirmed a Pope that he becomes Infallible.

1 John 1

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

Can I back that up with Scripture? Nope lol The Bible clearly says that God is not a respector of persons, and that His Spirit does not depart. You can swing your theology in many ways but the truth of the matter is, the authorities in Scripture were held to a standard of accountability too. And if Peter was the first Pope, look how much he screwed up.

Joe gave a good one for that actually, didn't think of that one. However it is nonetheless unbiblical that any man could ever be infallible. Jeremiah 17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all thing, and desperately wicked; who can know it?" The Pope's heart is deceitful "infallible" or not.

• Followers:  4

Can I back that up with Scripture? Nope lol The Bible clearly says that God is not a respector of persons, and that His Spirit does not depart. You can swing your theology in many ways but the truth of the matter is, the authorities in Scripture were held to a standard of accountability too. And if Peter was the first Pope, look how much he screwed up.

Awesome!

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

"Infallible" Popes have been correcting the doctrines of other "infallible" Popes since the beginning of the so-called "office."