• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2

love to you all.

my intent in creating this topic is to :

a) discuss the differences between the 5 Crowns mentioned in the Scriptures.

b) discuss which Crown(s) you are striving for daily, and which you believe Jesus Christ will place on your head on the day of recognition. :clap:

---------------

1) The Incorruptible Crown!

(emphasis: mine)

1Co 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

1Co 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.

1Co 9:26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

1Co 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

John Wesley

1 Corinthians 9:25

"And every one that there contendeth is temperate in all things - To an almost incredible degree; using the most rigorous self denial in food, sleep, and every other sensual indulgence. A corruptible crown - A garland of leaves, which must soon wither. The moderns only have discovered that it is "legal" to do all this and more for an eternal crown than they did for a corruptible!"

this Crown is awarded to those of us who like Paul, faithfully run the race! those of us who with the help of the Holy Spirit, strive to crucify EVERY fleshly and selfish desire in submission to Christ.

and in doing so, continually point mankind to our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. Hallelujah!

the Crown that can never perish.. the imperishable Crown. what types of Crowns can we speculate are referred to here as perishable(corruptible) then?

2) The Crown of Rejoicing!

1Th 2:19 For what is our hope, or joy, or crown of rejoicing? Are not even ye in the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ at his coming?

1Th 2:20 For ye are our glory and joy.

Adam Clarke

1 Thessalonians 2:19

For what is our hope - I can have no prospects from earth; I have forsaken all for the Gospel; and esteem every thing it can afford as dross and dung, that I may gain Christ. Why then should I continually labor at the risk of my life, preaching the Gospel? Is it not to get your souls saved, that ye may be my crown of rejoicing in the day of Christ? For this I labor; and, having planted the Gospel among you, I wish to take every opportunity of watering it, that it may grow up unto eternal life.

it appears this Crown is a soul winner's Crown! awarded to those of us who faithfully witness God's saving Grace through the blood of Jesus Christ, and lead others to the foot of the Cross!

those who are anointed in bringing the lost to become found as new creatures in Christ will shine like the STARS in the heavens for eternity in glory to the Father! Hallelujah!

Dan 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.

Geneva Bible Notes

Daniel 12:3

And they that be © wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that (d) turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever.

© Who have kept the true fear of God and his religion.

(d) He chiefly means the ministers of God's word, and next all the faithful who instruct the ignorant, and bring them to the true knowledge of God.

3) The Crown of Life

Jas 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.

Matthew Henry

James 1:12

A blessing is pronounced on those who endure their exercises and trials, as here directed: Blessed is the man that endureth temptation, Jam_1:12.

Observe,

1. It is not the man who suffers only that is blessed, but he who endures, who with patience and constancy goes through all difficulties in the way of his duty.

2. Afflictions cannot make us miserable, if it be not our own fault. A blessing may arise from them, and we may be blessed in them. They are so far from taking away a good man's felicity that they really increase it.

3. Sufferings and temptations are the way to eternal blessedness: When he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, dokimos genomenos - when he is approved, when his graces are found to be true and of the highest worth (so metals are tried as to their excellency by the fire), and when his integrity is manifested, and all is approved of the great Judge. Note hence, To be approved of God is the great aim of a Christian in all his trials; and it will be his blessedness at last, when he shall receive the crown of life. The tried Christian shall be a crowned one: and the crown he shall wear will be a crown of life. It will be life and bliss to him, and will last for ever. We only bear the cross for a while, but we shall wear the crown to eternity.

4. This blessedness, involved in a crown of life, is a promised thing to the righteous sufferer. It is therefore what we may most surely depend upon: for, when heaven and earth shall pass away, this word of God shall not fail of being fulfilled. But withal let us take notice that our future reward comes, not as a debt, but by a gracious promise.

5. Our enduring temptations must be from a principle of love to God and to our Lord Jesus Christ, otherwise we are not interested in this promise: The Lord hath promised to those that love him. Paul supposes that a man may for some point of religion even give his body to be burnt, and yet not be pleasing to God, nor regarded by him, because of his want of charity, or a prevailing sincere love to God and man, 1Co_13:3.

6. The crown of life is promised not only to great and eminent saints, but to all those who have the love of God reigning in their hearts. Every soul that truly loves God shall have its trials in this world fully recompensed in that world above where love is made perfect.

whew praise Jesus for Matthew Henry! :biggrin2:

trials, tribulations, sufferings, and even unto death! the martyr's Crown! Oh what a love so grand Christ has placed in the hearts of His children! And they will be rewarded accordingly! Hallelujah!

Rev 2:8 And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;

Rev 2:9 I know thy works, and tribulation, and poverty, (but thou art rich) and I know the blasphemy of them which say they are Jews, and are not, but are the synagogue of Satan.

Rev 2:10 Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.

Rev 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

whew...thank you Jesus!

4)The Crown of Righteousness!

2Ti 4:6 For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.

2Ti 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course,I have kept the faith:

2Ti 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

Adam Clarke

2 Timothy 4:8

Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown - This I can claim as my due; but the crown I expect is not one of fading leaves, but a crown of righteousness; the reward which God, in his kindness, has promised to them who are faithful to the grace he has bestowed upon them.

The Lord, the righteous Judge - He alludes here to the brabeus, or umpire in the Grecian games, whose office it was to declare the victor, and to give the crown.

At that day - The day of judgment; the morning of the resurrection from the dead.

Unto all them also that love his appearing - All who live in expectation of the coming of Christ, who anticipate it with joyfulness, having buried the world and laid up all their hopes above. Here is a reward, but it is a reward not of debt but of grace; for it is by the grace of God that even an apostle is fitted for glory. And this reward is common to the faithful; it is given, not only to apostles, but to all them that love his appearing. This crown is laid up - it is in view, but not in possession. We must die first.

Come Lord Jesus come! all who anxiously await His return in all His glory for His saints! all those who have fought the good fight of faith will wear this Crown of Righteousness! Hallelujah!

5) The Crown of Glory!

1Pe 5:1 The elders which are among you I exhort, who am also an elder, and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, andalso a partaker of the glory that shall be revealed:

1Pe 5:2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;

1Pe 5:3 Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock.

1Pe 5:4 And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

Geneva Bible Notes

1 Peter 5:4

(7) And when the chief Shepherd shall appear, ye shall receive a crown of glory that fadeth not away.

(7) That the shepherds' minds are not overcome either with the wickedness of men, or their cruelty, he warns them to continually look at the chief shepherd, and the crown which is laid up for them in heaven.

a Crown of Glory awaits those appointed leaders in the Body of Christ who tend to the sheep of God FAITHFULLY!

Oh LORD, bless our ministers of faith, and guide your shepherds that they may rejoice in truthfully feeding the flock of God! Hallelujah!

--------------

I am striving for them ALL!

How about you?! :happyhappy:

may the LORD Jesus Christ continue blessing you all, and hopefully we won't look too funny at the wedding supper with all those Crowns! :laughing:

love to you all and God bless. :heart: :heart: :heart:

• Group:  Senior Member

Jesus Christ, LORD of Lords, and KING of Kings..

left His place of glory, to become a man, and sacrificed Himself for all.

they placed on Him a crown of thorns, and yet He will place on us Crowns of Incorruptibility, Rejoicing, Life, Righteousness, and Glory!

Hallelujah!

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

I strive for no crown, just to do the will of the Lord. If He, when He tests my works, finds me worthy of a crown, than I will be blessed.

I strive for no crown, just to do the will of the Lord. If He, when He tests my works, finds me worthy of a crown, than I will be blessed.

a most humble perspective brother OneLight, and i am blessed by it. thank you.

may the Holy Spirit continue to guide all your actions as you strive to do everything He wills in faith, and i pray He finds you worthy of All crowns on that day of recognition.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

An interesting thought came concerning the crown of thorns. Jesus had one place upon his head and it represented all those who 'were' above him before his glorification took place and he his rightful place at the right hand of God the Father.

Not to strive for excellence and be deemed worthy of Jesus himself crowning you on that day is not a sign of humility. Paul, who strove above all, was truly a humble man. He declared unto us that we ought to be followers of him as he was of Christ. I strive with all my might that I might receive of him who gives because I first believe that he is and that he is the rewarder of those who diligently seek him. Humility is a tool that helps achieve the crowns spoken of. We strive to be right sized as it is easy to think more of ourselves than we ought but to know that we are merely unprofitable servants who must stay connected to the vine to produce fruit is golden.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

I am not striving for a Crown.I feel like I will be Blessed to just be in Heaven and see Jesus.Not everyone will receive a Crown.Those who have asked God into their lives will go to Heaven but some will have awards taken away and some will receive many rewards.We will not get to keep our Crowns.They will be layed at the feet of Jesus.Rightfully so.

amen brother and sister.

the humility on display here is sobering.

i pray i was not misunderstood, as if i meant striving for Crowns in the pursuit of glory or something foolish like that. :37:

everything we do or say in faith and love in the name of Jesus Christ will be rewarded by His righteous standard of judgement.

looking forward to the rewards our Lord has promised us is not enterprising ambition.

it is our Father's good pleasure to give us these things.

i run my race faithfully expecting a Crown because it has been promised to me, knowing that all i am or can possibly be and achieve through Jesus Christ is because of His grace bestowed upon me.

love to you all. :heart:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,242
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I also am just content having my name writtin in the Lamb's book of life. Any good done by me will be accomplished by the Holy Spirit in spite of me. God drew me to Himself and saved me. It is by His grace, He granted me repentance and faith. I can't imagine taking a reward for what Someone else has done.

I also am just content having my name writtin in the Lamb's book of life. Any good done by me will be accomplished by the Holy Spirit in spite of me. God drew me to Himself and saved me. It is by His grace, He granted me repentance and faith. I can't imagine taking a reward for what Someone else has done.

bless you Willamina. i agree.

beyond our justification and sanctification, we are continually renewed and regenerated if we continue to walk in Christ.

i don't believe it will be a reward in the sense that i have done anything outside of fleeing from sin and seeking righteousness as the Holy Spirit works to complete that good work in me.

the surrendering of our wills to the leading of the Holy Spirit allows us to accomplish all things in Christ.

i of course can take no credit for that, but i am encouraged to strive for perfection in accordance with the grace i am given(as Danielzk has kindly reminded us).

so you believe that if you receive a crown, it will be a gift and not something earned.

so do i. :grin: and i know the Lord will judge me based upon my heart's intentions.

:heart:

love to you.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

I see these crowns in their fullness being fulfilled in the believers at the end of this age going into the eternal age. They are made possible by being placed in Christ, and they are fulfilled by His imputed righteousness in their fullness for this reason. Then we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 1John5:2 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.

1. The Incorruptible Crown 1 Cor 9:25 the glorified body

2. The Crown of Rejoicing 1 Thess 2:19 being in the presence of the Lord with all the saints

3. The Crown of Life James 1:12 Eternal life with the Lord in glory

4. The Crown of Righteousness 2 Tim 4:7 Perfected in Righteousness, completely holy in our every action, no more sin ability

5. The Crown of Glory 1 Pet 5:4 Glorification, we shall be like Him and share in His glory John 17:24