1peterlight

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

Isaiah 50:1 "Thus saith the LORD, Where is the bill of your mother's divorcement, whom I have put away? or which of my creditors is it to whom I have sold you? Behold, for your iniquities have ye sold yourselves, and for your transgressions is your mother put away."

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

The answer to this is hyper-dimensional. It is a conversation between two individuals who are divine in nature. It is unlike any conversation two individuals who are human by nature would have. For example, engineer Smith says to engineer Jones how can we make school desk chairs out of wood but in such a way that kids can sit in them for 8 hours a day? Let us make them in the image of our tuchus so that by being in the shape of the human tuchus, even though made of hard wood, a child could sit on it for an extended period of time. And the two have the human form to go by in designing the chair seats.

This is unlike that:

Genesis 1:26 (NKJV)

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

For one thing, there was no human form to go by. God is Spirit (John 4:24) and has no form that we can discern... except...

Colossians 1:13-15 (NKJV)

13 He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love,

14 in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins.

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation.

Let us make man in our image... the image of Christ Jesus who is the image of the invisible God.

As I said this is hyper-dimensional.

Now for the mind-blower...

Jesus (preincarnate, that is God the Word) is the lone Creator in the beginning (John 1:3 / Colossians 1:16 / Isaiah 44:24). So the "us" he is using in Genesis 1:26 is he the creator of man, and the Father the creator of his body (Hebrews 10:5 / John 1:14)... in a conversation in the beginning between two omniscient minds who see the creation of the body of Jesus as vividly as the creation of the body of Adam.

Put another way, the preincarnate Jesus addresses the Father "I will make make Adam in the image you will make for me in the incarnation." Adam was fashioned after the Last Adam.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

The answer to this is hyper-dimensional. It is a conversation between two individuals who are divine in nature. It is unlike any conversation two individuals who are human by nature would have. For example, engineer Smith says to engineer Jones how can we make school desk chairs out of wood but in such a way that kids can sit in them for 8 hours a day? Let us make them in the image of our tuchus so that by being in the shape of the human tuchus, even though made of hard wood, a child could sit on it for an extended period of time. And the two have the human form to go by in designing the chair seats.

This is unlike that:

26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

For one thing, there was no human form to go by. God is Spirit (John 4:24) and has no form that we can discern... except...

13 He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love,

Let us make man in our image... the image of Christ Jesus who is the image of the invisible God.

Jesus (preincarnate, that is God the Word) is the lone Creator in the beginning (John 1:3 / Colossians 1:16 / Isaiah 44:24). So the "us" he is using in Genesis 1:26 is he the creator of man, and the Father the creator of his body (Hebrews 10:5 / John 1:14)... in a conversation in the beginning between two omniscient minds who see the creation of the body of Jesus as vividly as the creation of the body of Adam.

Put another way, the preincarnate Jesus addresses the Father "I will make make Adam in the image you will make for me in the incarnation." Adam was fashioned after the Last Adam.

Okay that was awesome, and actually made perfect sense to me. Wowa, that does make me see it in a new light!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  116
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Male and female: image and likeness. Its not so complicated. It doesnt even say let us make man in our image after our likeness in hebrew for Gensis 1:26.

Elohiym amar asah adam tselem dmuwth

God said make man image likeness

Check this out. Genesis 1:26 is not the only scripture that says we are made in God’s likeness. These scriptures confirm that that is what Genesis 1:26 says.

NIV 1984 1 Corinthians 11:7 A man ought not to cover his head, since he is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man.

NIV 1984 James 3:9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness.

NIV 1984 Genesis 5:1 This is the written account of Adam's line. When God created man, he made him in the likeness of God.

NIV 1984 Genesis 9:6 "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made man.

hey thanks for those! Love that James 3!! all verses that would be eeasy to read and pass over without noticing the nuggets in them, praise God :grin:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  365
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  6

@Truth Revealed

Genesis 5:2 "Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created."

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

In order to have a fuller understanding of this issue, I was led to understand that Genesis 1 speaks of the completed days of creation while Genesis two and three are an exploded view of day six. In order to understand the statement made in Gen 1:26 we need to incorporate all that happened in two and three. If you do not hold to this position you will not agree and that is fine, please agree to disagree and move on or if you feel the need lay out a correction for those who you want to save from the perceived error I am making.

Upon understanding that day six ends with the exile from the garden of Eden, one must accept that they were not completely made in the likeness of God until after their sin and they became 'like' God in this last way. The truly beautiful work of God is seen in his work of taking man who was created in his image and transforming him over a few thousand years into his very likeness complete with full enlightenment that he might live as one of the children of God upon the earth.

Problems with accepting this view are rooted in the perceived conflict between it and the trinity view. The main problem here that creates the conflicting opinions is that it must be one or the other and cannot be both. I have accepted that both are perfectly true and to be accepted. My understanding is rooted in the omnipresence of God and the difficulty of defining such a huge attribute. God is present with his whole being everywhere at all times, therefore God can be represented in three persons while being one as he has chosen to reveal himself. It is a hard concept and I would appreciate it if I were not attacked for presenting it. Questions are OK of course but yelling heretic and tying me to a stake isn't necessary. I once persecuted because of that which I did not understand, so I understand.

There is a thread in which I presented an explanation of my view of what it means that we are created in the likeness and image of God Please understand that it was written a year ago and my views have been clarified further where I understand now how both can be true but was struggling myself with finding common ground then. While most believe that we are soul, spirit and body as tripart beings, I hold to a position that we are soul, spirit and word as tripart beings housed in a body. We are merely different because we are housed in a body whereas God is not.

There are various points of contention associated with having such a view and my hope is that we can simply stay on topic without diverting into the doctrinal beliefs that would seemingly be brought into question if this view were accepted as truth as the seeming contradicts may or may not be valid but would only serve to derail the thread.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

This is unlike that:

Okay that was awesome, and actually made perfect sense to me. Wowa, that does make me see it in a new light!

Grand!