• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I've been wondering something a long time. Once I decide to follow a thread, every time someone makes a post I receive a separate email. Since I've belonged to many boards in the last 10 years I know there's a better way to do this, but I don't know how.

So in the other way, if I'm following a thread I will receive an email when a response is posted. Typically it will say something like this:

The question you subscribed to "To the Creators of This Board" has been replied to. It may then give me a copy of the response and the name of who responded. We already do that. But it then says, There may be other responses too. But until you click this link and visit the board, you won't receive anymore emails on this particular question. Usually I then see the link that will take me to the question.

I think this is a much better way of notifying members when a response was made to a thread they are following. By doing this we won't go to our email inbox and find 5, 10, 20 or more notifications all to maybe 2 or 3 threads, depending on how Hot that topic is.

I recall one of you mod's, OneLight if memory doesn't fail me, once saying your email inbox is often swamped with response notifications. So I know I'm not the only one who would rather see WCF's do this the other way. But how to do it, I haven't a clue. I imagine it means re writing some of the software and the board will probably have to be down for 1 or more days.

So what say ye all? I know I'll be happy to wait for the board to be up again, and I will be back. (just in case you're worried about losing members). I think many of us like this board enough to wait for it.

So again, what say ye all?

Click on your name at the top of your page, select "My settings" than "Notification Options." There you can select what type of notifications you want.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Birthday:  10/17/1971

Thanks for the tips folks Reds learning so much on here again thank you and Gbu

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  37
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  09/11/1969

hmm didn't know that

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

Good question, and good answers. I have been wondering about this. . .lol, but at least my mail box isn't empty :P hehe

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

Yes, under notifications, you can tweak how you want to be notified, or even if you choose not to be notified.

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

Yeah, I know about the Instant, daily, or weekly. But that's not what I'm talking about.

For example. I made a response on the question, God's Astronomy Lesson. I haven't been back to that question yet, and I have 5 notices in my inbox indicating 5 responses have been made since I made my response. But with the software I'm talking about there would only be one notice. It would probably give that one notice in full text. But then it would say, "there may be more responses to this question, but you won't receive anymore notices until you go back to that question". Or something like that. Now if I do go back and read what was written, whether I respond again or not, the next time someone responds I'll be notified. But until I go back to the board and read that notice, I won't receive anymore notices. I think It's better this way. But maybe all of you don't. Maybe you prefer it the way it is.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

The reports we receive are what is known as "canned" reports, reports that are built into the software. Only George knows if there are any switches for other options, which there may or may not be available. If they are no switches, in order to change the wording of the reports, one would have to rewrite the code.