IGNORED

What does Ezekiel 18 say to modern parents?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

So I've been studying Ezekiel this week and came across chapter 18. See Ezekiel 18.

So first, what does Ezekiel 18 say to modern parents?

Second, what do you think of the following thoughts and passage below?

It is not the responsibility of parents’ for the actions of their children. Children by the same token are not responsible for the actions of their parents either. Each must give an account to God for his or her actions.

Ezekiel 18:19-20

19 “Yet you say, ‘Why should the son not bear the guilt of the father?’ Because the son has done what is lawful and right, and has kept all My statutes and observed them, he shall surely live. 20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I believe that a parent should be a Godly example for their children.Children will choose to repeat the sins of their fathers.

I do think that each and every person should be accountable to their own actions and sins.Yes,we can blame someone else but that is not being accountable for yourself.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

So I've been studying Ezekiel this week and came across chapter 18. See Ezekiel 18.

So first, what does Ezekiel 18 say to modern parents?

Second, what do you think of the following thoughts and passage below?

It is not the responsibility of parents’ for the actions of their children. Children by the same token are not responsible for the actions of their parents either. Each must give an account to God for his or her actions.

Ezekiel 18:19-20

19 “Yet you say, ‘Why should the son not bear the guilt of the father?’ Because the son has done what is lawful and right, and has kept all My statutes and observed them, he shall surely live. 20 The soul who sins shall die. The son shall not bear the guilt of the father, nor the father bear the guilt of the son. The righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself.

God bless,

GE

Nice thread GE! :thumbsup:

Of course this comes down to ultimate choice- choosing to be different or "follow in the footsteps of your parents," but what are your thought on this proverb verse?

Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it."

Of course each to his own- but we also must consider the role of a parent to correct and train the child in righteousness in sight of the Lord.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.90
  • Days Won:  33

I think, and this might be more important in the context of mothers groups that can be quite judgmental, that we ought not judge a parent by their children, and vice versa. But it seems to be a perverse part of mothers groups that drive me batty! As much as I teach my children not to be selfish, when they are selfish in public, that was their free choice. I think also, we ought not judge ourselves by our children.

Now in general if you know you are dropping the ball when it comes to parenting, you might see that flow though effect in your children, and that isn't what I mean. My own standing before God has nothing to do with how my children act and vice versa. At judgment day, no one can point their finger at their parents or their children in blame.

My parents treated us all the same and four very different adults came out the other end. A sister who is in a world of legal trouble and whose life is a mess, and then three pretty balanced others.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

My mother was a Presbyterian Sunday school teacher, my father was an atheist.

My brother, my sister and myself are all believers who love Jesus. We cannot ever remember my parents fighting in front of us (we cannot ever remember them fighting). The three of us have never had a sibling fight. Ever. My mother attested to that until the day she died. My brother is still my best friend and fellow adventurer. I went to Sunday school because I was made to. The moment I had the choice I stopped going to church until I was saved much, much later.

But bring a child up in the ways of the Lord, and even if he falls away, he is much more likely to return. If my father had his way, I have no idea what I would have been today. But the Lord had other plans for us, and he blessed my mother with grace enough for three children and an atheist husband who loved us with every fiber of his being. And we loved them.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

We give our children a good foundation when they are little of morals,integrity,good character,manners and then when they are grown they are on their own.They do need that instruction when they are growing up or they will not have a good foundation how to treat others or treat a spouse or raise their own children.