IGNORED

Can a Christian be possessed by evil spirits?

janiebeth

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

In the book "War on the Saints" by Jessie Penn-Lewis and Evan Roberts (1911), I found this passage: THE MEANING OF "POSSESSION" DEFINED

Such cases as these are known to-day, amongst even true believers in Europe, as well as in heathen China, but "possession" is much more wide-spread than is supposed, if the word "possession" is taken to mean just what it is, i.e., a hold of evil spirits on a man in any shade of degree; for an evil spirit "possesses" whatever spot he holds, even though it be in an infinitesimal degree, and from that one spot, as a spider finds his base ere he weaves his web, the intruder works to obtain further hold of the whole being.

Christians are as open to possession by evil spirits as other men, and become possessed because they have, in most cases, unwittingly fulfilled the conditions upon which evil spirits work, and, apart from the cause of willful sin, given ground to deceiving spirits, through (1) accepting their counterfeits of the Divine workings, and (2) cultivating passivity, and non-use of the faculties; and this through misconception of the spiritual laws which govern Christian life.

It is this matter of ground given which is the crucial point of all. All believers acknowledge known sin to be ground given to the enemy, and even unknown sin in the life, but they do not realize that every thought suggested to the mind by wicked spirits, and accepted, is ground given to them; and every faculty unused invites their attempted use of it.

The primary cause of deception and possession in surrendered believers may be condensed into one word, passivity; that is, a cessation of the active exercise of the will in control over spirit, soul and body, or either, as may be the case. It is, practically, a counterfeit of "surrender to God." The believer who "surrenders" his "members"--or faculties--to God, and ceases to use them himself, thereby falls into "passivity" which enables evil spirits to deceive, and possess any part of his being which has become passive.

The deception over passive surrender may be exampled thus: a believer surrenders his "arm" to God. He permits it to hang passive, waiting for "God to use it." He is asked, "why do you not use your arm?" and he replies "I have surrendered it to God. I must not use it now; God must use it." But will God lift the arm for the man? Nay, the man himself must lift it,

note 1 and use it, seeking to understand intelligently God's mind in doing so.

End of quote.

As I am seeking to understand why I do what I do not will to do--in fact, I do things against my free-will, just as Paul did crying out in his guilt concerning this earthly body--I began reading this book. This section, chapter 4, rings true. I finally have an answer besides, “Call on the name of Christ,” or “The battle is in your mind,” or “Put on the armor of God,” or “You must not be saved if you are experiencing demonic control in your life.” I have also been told, repeatedly, that people give Satan way too much attention as he is conquered. He has no power over a Christian.” However, after experiencing spiritual warfare for years myself, these words became empty platitudes. I am not saying that the verses referenced are empty; I am saying that those of us who have unwittingly fallen into surrendering a small section of their members to the control of darkness need something more. The book continues with this quote:

THE WORD "PASSIVITY" DESCRIBES OPPOSITE CONDITION TO ACTIVITY

The word "passivity" simply describes the opposite condition to activity; and in the experience of the believer it means, briefly, (1) loss of self-control--in the sense of the person himself controlling each, or all of the departments of his personal being; and (2) loss of freewill--in the sense of the person himself exercising his will as the guiding principle of personal control, in harmony with the will of God.

All the danger of "passivity" in the surrendered believer, lies in the advantage taken of the passive condition by the powers of darkness. Apart from these evil forces, and their workings through the passive person, "passivity" is merely inactivity, or idleness. In normal inactivity, that is, when the evil spirits have not taken hold, the inactive person is always holding himself ready for activity; whereas in "passivity" which has given place to the powers of darkness, the passive person is unable to act by his own volition.

The chief condition, therefore, for the working of evil spirits in a human being, apart from sin, is passivity, in exact opposition to the condition which God requires from His children for His working in them. Granted the surrender of the will to God, with active choice to do His will as it may be revealed to him, God requires co-operation with His Spirit, and the full use of every faculty of the whole man. In brief, the powers of darkness aim at obtaining a passive slave, or captive to their will; whilst God desires a regenerated man, intelligently and actively willing, and choosing, and doing His will in liberation of spirit, soul and body from slavery.

The powers of darkness would make a man a machine, a tool, an automaton; the God of holiness and love desires to make him a free, intelligent sovereign in his own sphere--a thinking, rational, renewed creation created after His own image (Eph. 4: 24). Therefore God never says to any faculty of man, "Be thou idle."

God does not need, nor demand non-activity in the believer, for His working in, and through him; but evil spirits demand the utmost non-activity and passivity.”

End quote.

I am posting this here for those who may want to debate these ideas, those who find themselves in this predicament also, and those who may find themselves ministering to those trapped by repeated sin. I welcome your responses and opinions.

In the book "War on the Saints" by Jessie Penn-Lewis and Evan Roberts (1911), I found this passage: THE MEANING OF "POSSESSION" DEFINED

.... God does not need, nor demand non-activity in the believer, for His working in, and through him; but evil spirits demand the utmost non-activity and passivity.”

End quote.

I am posting this here for those who may want to debate these ideas, those who find themselves in this predicament also, and those who may find themselves ministering to those trapped by repeated sin. I welcome your responses and opinions.

Amen~!

I love the LORD, because he hath heard my voice and my supplications. Because he hath inclined his ear unto me, therefore will I call upon him as long as I live.

The sorrows of death compassed me, and the pains of hell gat hold upon me: I found trouble and sorrow. Then called I upon the name of the LORD; O LORD, I beseech thee, deliver my soul.

Gracious is the LORD, and righteous; yea, our God is merciful. The LORD preserveth the simple: I was brought low, and he helped me.

Return unto thy rest, O my soul; for the LORD hath dealt bountifully with thee. For thou hast delivered my soul from death, mine eyes from tears, and my feet from falling.

I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living. I believed, therefore have I spoken: I was greatly afflicted: Psalms 116:1-10

Amen~!

Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. Psalms 46:10

And Amen~!

And the God of peace shall bruise Satan under your feet shortly. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen. Romans 16:20

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

No a Christian can not be possessed by evil spirits.They have the Holy Spirit in them and the two do not mix.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

I like the old saying about when a demon comes knocking on the door of a Christian's heart, the Holy Spirit answers and says, "GET LOST!"

:)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

That's an excellent book. However, just one thing, it is my understanding that the actual translation should be the person possesses the demon and not the demon the person.

Yes, Christians can be and are bothered by demons....but we are not possessed by them...that would denote ownership. I do believe they are indwelling though and I realize that is a

very controversial subject. I take a conservative approach to this...I don't give credence to many of the books written on this subject. I have seen Christians delivered from their demons

and I know it is real. It is not a joke and the most subtle ones, IMO, would be the seducing teaching spirits who fill believers with pride and self righteousness.

There is a vast array of false teachings and these can be credited to teaching spirits who have wormed their way into congregations and individuals. A person must accept the

false teaching though in order for it to take 'root' which is why it is so important to know the word and to question what we see, hear and read....the worst thing a person can do,

I believe, is to accept the word of someone who says they have heard from God or have had a dream or a vision. The Bible tells us to examine these things, yet so many people

today purporting to be prophets or what have you, dare you to question anything while referring to themselves as the Lord's annointed. They warn you that God will punish you

if you dare to question their authority. It is sad and very dangerous.

The devil is a deceiver and comes as an angel of light. We re living in times when the armor applies ...I think alot of Christians have either never put on their armor, or it is rusting

and in very bad need of repairs.

ps...the Holy Spirit does not say to demons to get lost. Unfortuneately, we are in charge of our own residences....put on the armor...we are supposed to be vigilant and aware...nothing

is automatic...the devil prowls around looking for someone to devour. Christians are warned many times of the possibility of deception in scripture. Who deceives? The devil, however, we

are led astray by our own lusts and desires and cannot blame God. Ignorance is not protection...that is simply a playground for the devil and his intentions against believers.

All the danger of "passivity" in the surrendered believer, lies in the advantage taken of the passive condition by the powers of darkness. Apart from these evil forces, and their workings through the passive person, "passivity" is merely inactivity, or idleness. In normal inactivity, that is, when the evil spirits have not taken hold, the inactive person is always holding himself ready for activity; whereas in "passivity" which has given place to the powers of darkness, the passive person is unable to act by his own volition.

Passivity is the state in which deception occurs. We are to use our minds and question things. The sin is in accepting every spiritual occurrence as though all of it was from God.

I've literally known a few people who became lost in their passive state and started believing things that the 'normal' person finds ridiculous. And it is extremely hard to get these

people to admit to their condition and see the ruins of their life around them...the truth is the only weapon against deception.

The deceived believer believes themself to be the recipient of messages from God that no one else knows or else believes they have received special instructions that are

detrimental in reality....it is both sad and very alarming to see such things.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Sevenseas, thanks for your openness in your reply.

I agree with your assessment, and I have witnessed on many occasion believers being irrational in respect to spiritual messages, feelings, dreams, and other such gnostic occurrences. Your comment reminded me of this quote from the text.

Quote: War on the Saints (Penn-Lewis, Evans, 1911) “ Passivity must not be confused with quietness, or the meek and quiet spirit," which, in the sight of God, is of great price. Quietness of spirit, of heart, of mind, of manner, voice and expression, may be co-existent with the most effective activity in the will of God (1 Thess. 4: 11, Gr. "Ambitious to be quiet.").

THE CLASS OF BELIEVERS WHO ARE OPEN TO PASSIVITY

The persons open to "passivity," of whom the evil spirits take advantage as ground for their activity, are those who become fully surrendered to God, and are brought into direct contact with the supernatural world by receiving the Baptism of the Holy Ghost. There are some who use the word "surrender," and think they are surrendered fully to carry out the will of God, but are only so in sentiment and purpose, for actually they walk by the reason and judgment of the natural man; although they submit all their plans to God, and because of this submittal sincerely believe they are carrying out His will. But those who are really "surrendered," give themselves up to implicitly obey, and carry out at all costs, what is revealed to them supernaturally as from God, and not what they themselves plan and reason out to be the will of God.

Believers who surrender their wills, and all they have and are to God, yet who WALK BY THE USE OF THEIR NATURAL MINDS, are not the ones who are open to the "passivity" which gives ground to evil spirits, although they may, and do, give ground to them in other ways. These we may call Class No. 1, as shown in the following table.

THREE CLASSES AMONG BELIEVERS

I. Unsurrendered.

These use the word "surrender," but do not really know it, and act it out in practice.

Believers in this stage are more reasonable than those in No. 2, because their faculties have not been yielded into passivity.

These believers call those in the next class "cranks," "faddists," ..extremists," etc.

II. Surrendered, Deceived, Possessed.

These seem more "foolish" than those in Class 1, but in reality are more advanced.

In order to understand the actions of No. 2, it is needful to read them from their inner standpoint, for to them all that they do seems right.

These are open to both Divine and Satanic power.

Are liable to be "puffed up."

III. Surrendered but Undeceived, Dispossessed and Victorious.

The mind is liberated, and all the faculties are operating.

These are open to light and all that is Divine, but they seek watchfully to close themselves to all that is Satanic.

Class No. 1 are "surrendered" in will, but not surrendered in fact, in the sense of being ready to carry out "obedience to the Holy Ghost" at all costs. They consequently know little of conflict, and nothing of the devil, excepting as a tempter or accuser. They do not understand those who speak of the "onslaughts of Satan," for, they say, they are not "attacked" in this way. But the devil does not always attack when he can. He reserves his attack until it suits him. If the devil does not attack a man, it does not prove that he could not. Another class among believers--Class No. 2--are those who are surrendered in such a measure of abandonment that they are ready to obey the Spirit of God at all costs, with the result that they become open to a passivity which gives ground for the deception and possession of evil spirits.

These surrendered believers (Class No. 2) fall into passivity after the Baptism of the Holy Ghost, (1) because of their determination to carry out their "surrender" at all costs; (2) their relationship with the spiritual world, which opens to them supernatural communications, which they believe to be all of God; (3) their "surrender" leading them to submit, subdue and make all things subservient to this supernatural plane.

The origin of the evil passivity which gives the evil spirits opportunity to deceive, and then possess, is generally a wrong interpretation of Scripture, or wrong thoughts or beliefs about Divine things. Some of these interpretations of Scripture, or wrong conceptions, which cause the believer to give way to the passive condition, we have already referred to in a previous chapter.

The passivity may affect the whole man, in spirit, soul and body, when it has become very deep, and is of many years' standing. The progress is generally very gradual, and insidious in growth, and consequently the release from it is gradual and slow.” End Quote

I ha ve not read the entire book as of yet; however, I am struck by the lack of conversations concerning the workings of Satan within the life and mind of believers. Your comment concerning those who are deceived by evil spirits struck me.

MISCONCEPTION OF TRUTH PART OF "TEACHINGS" OF DECEIVING SPIRITS

As this conception of self-effacement, and loss of self-consciousness is contrary to the believer's full use of the faculties, which the Spirit of God requires for co-operation with Him, evil spirits gain ground on the basis of this deception about "death." The misconception of what death means in practice, was really part of their "teachings," subtly suggested, and received by the man who was ignorant of the possibility of deception, over, what looked like, devoted, whole-hearted surrender to God. The "teachings of demons" can, therefore, be based on truth, under the guise of misconception, or misinterpretation of the truth, whilst the believer is honestly holding the truth itself.

The effect of the deception on the believer is, in due time, an "unconsciousness" produced by evil spirits, which is hard to break. In his state of unconsciousness, he has no ability to discern, recognize, feel or know things around him, or in himself. He is "unconscious"note 18 of his actions, ways and manners, together with a hyper-self-consciousness which he is unconscious of, and which makes him easily hurt, but "unconscious" of his own hurting of others. He has practically become stoical, and unable to see the effect of his actions in putting others into suffering. He acts "unconsciously," without volitional thinking, reasoning, imagining, deciding, what be says and does. His actions are consequently mechanical and automatic. He is "unconscious" of sometimes being a channel for the transmission of words, thoughts, feelings which pass through him apart from the action of his will and his knowledge of the source.

"Unconsciousness" as the effect of demon-possession, becomes a formidable stumbling block in the way of deliverance, for the evil spirits may hold, hinder, attack, divert, suggest, impress, draw, or do any other equally offensive, and injurious thing, in or through the person, whilst he is "unconscious" of their workings.” End quote

Thanks for your reply. Have you read this book? If not, I would highly suggest it for anyone ministering to the body of Christ as I have found little understanding of this important subject: How to protect oneself from evil, which is very real and often very ignored within the Church.

Edited by janiebeth

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2

interesting read..i'll make sure to check out the unabridged version of this book.

thank you janiebeth.

• 2 months later...

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

Thank you for posting about this very informative book.  I am a Christian and have experienced demonic harrasment and have found very little has been written about this matter.

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  448
  • Content Per Day:  0.10

Such cases as these are known to-day, amongst even true believers in Europe, as well as in heathen China, but "possession" is much more wide-spread than is supposed, if the word "possession" is taken to mean just what it is, i.e., a hold of evil spirits on a man in any shade of degree; for an evil spirit "possesses" whatever spot he holds, even though it be in an infinitesimal degree, and from that one spot, as a spider finds his base ere he weaves his web, the intruder works to obtain further hold of the whole being.

Christians are as open to possession by evil spirits as other men, and become possessed because they have, in most cases, unwittingly fulfilled the conditions upon which evil spirits work, and, apart from the cause of willful sin, given ground to deceiving spirits, through (1) accepting their counterfeits of the Divine workings, and (2) cultivating passivity, and non-use of the faculties; and this through misconception of the spiritual laws which govern Christian life.

It is this matter of ground given which is the crucial point of all. All believers acknowledge known sin to be ground given to the enemy, and even unknown sin in the life, but they do not realize that every thought suggested to the mind by wicked spirits, and accepted, is ground given to them; and every faculty unused invites their attempted use of it.

The primary cause of deception and possession in surrendered believers may be condensed into one word, passivity; that is, a cessation of the active exercise of the will in control over spirit, soul and body, or either, as may be the case. It is, practically, a counterfeit of "surrender to God." The believer who "surrenders" his "members"--or faculties--to God, and ceases to use them himself, thereby falls into "passivity" which enables evil spirits to deceive, and possess any part of his being which has become passive.

The deception over passive surrender may be exampled thus: a believer surrenders his "arm" to God. He permits it to hang passive, waiting for "God to use it." He is asked, "why do you not use your arm?" and he replies "I have surrendered it to God. I must not use it now; God must use it." But will God lift the arm for the man? Nay, the man himself must lift it,note 1 and use it, seeking to understand intelligently God's mind in doing so.

End of quote.

As I am seeking to understand why I do what I do not will to do--in fact, I do things against my free-will, just as Paul did crying out in his guilt concerning this earthly body--I began reading this book. This section, chapter 4, rings true. I finally have an answer besides, “Call on the name of Christ,” or “The battle is in your mind,” or “Put on the armor of God,” or “You must not be saved if you are experiencing demonic control in your life.” I have also been told, repeatedly, that people give Satan way too much attention as he is conquered. He has no power over a Christian.” However, after experiencing spiritual warfare for years myself, these words became empty platitudes. I am not saying that the verses referenced are empty; I am saying that those of us who have unwittingly fallen into surrendering a small section of their members to the control of darkness need something more. The book continues with this quote:

THE WORD "PASSIVITY" DESCRIBES OPPOSITE CONDITION TO ACTIVITY

The word "passivity" simply describes the opposite condition to activity; and in the experience of the believer it means, briefly, (1) loss of self-control--in the sense of the person himself controlling each, or all of the departments of his personal being; and (2) loss of freewill--in the sense of the person himself exercising his will as the guiding principle of personal control, in harmony with the will of God.

The chief condition, therefore, for the working of evil spirits in a human being, apart from sin, is passivity, in exact opposition to the condition which God requires from His children for His working in them. Granted the surrender of the will to God, with active choice to do His will as it may be revealed to him, God requires co-operation with His Spirit, and the full use of every faculty of the whole man. In brief, the powers of darkness aim at obtaining a passive slave, or captive to their will; whilst God desires a regenerated man, intelligently and actively willing, and choosing, and doing His will in liberation of spirit, soul and body from slavery.

The powers of darkness would make a man a machine, a tool, an automaton; the God of holiness and love desires to make him a free, intelligent sovereign in his own sphere--a thinking, rational, renewed creation created after His own image (Eph. 4: 24). Therefore God never says to any faculty of man, "Be thou idle."

God does not need, nor demand non-activity in the believer, for His working in, and through him; but evil spirits demand the utmost non-activity and passivity.”

End quote.

"Apart from the cause of willful sin" this post declares.    According to the Bible, spiritual domination by evil spirits is caused by sin.   Yes, it is even the root of sin that is behind and in operation throughout.

"For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to her husband,who was with her, and he ate it."

- Genesis 3:5-6

This portion of Holy Writ is the authoritative source for the explanation of where the influence of sin comes from.   The woman and the man did give the authority of their bodies and their wills to the enemy and as a result were condemned by God's righteous judgment.   

The wages of sin is death and the death account in Genesis begins with a breaking of fellowship with God.  The redemption afforded by the second birth enabled by the death of Christ upon the cross renews this relationship.   Nothing else can do so.

There is no middle ground.   All humanity is condemned to possession and influence and operation by evil spirits because of the fall recorded in Genesis 3:5&6.   The hypnosis effect suggested by the author of the above post is only the ultimate form of such an action.  All men are nudged and steered by the influence of satan and its minions.  Until the influence has grown to powerful effect it is relatively unknown to the human.    The Bible calls this situation slavery.  

We are, all of us, subject to the slavery of sin until the Son of Righteousness is revealed to us and the opportunity to join with Him is presented.

But grace and peace and liberty are granted by God through the blood shed by Christ upon the cross in that all who are partakers of the second birth are no longer slaves to sin. Indeed they are now slaves of righteousness.   Shall the members of the slave of righteousness be given over to sin?   St. Paul forbids it.  Neither hypnosis, nor willful sin, nor flirting with sin shall be tolerated by our Holy Master.   He or she who is in Christ and who flirts with sin (and the hypnotic effect of yielding to spirits) shall suffer immediate and painful punishment from Our Lord.  

Sin does not have power over the slave of righteousness, yet many of them have flirted with it and suffered the pains of playing with spiritual fire. 

We are called to bear our cross, whether it be some affliction, destructive habit or temptation to sin.   Christ shall give us grace to bear our cross until He comes to remove the burden Himself.   Those who are second born have a great promise and hope - that of final and total reunion with Christ.   Until then, we are graciously given times and places when He walks with us and shows us His love.    It is not for the slaves of righteousness to abandon their calling, but to bear their cross with all the grace and courage we have been given.

and that's just me, hollering from the choir loft...

Edited by rjp34652

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

Salvation is of the soul, spirit is life. Temptations and afflictions are in the spirit and natural realm.

When we desire to and give our lives to Christ we are not exempt from temptation.

If we do not feed at the right place (God's Word) we suffer the consequences and become weak and fall more subject the wrong influences, even to the point where we can't seem to stand against them.

But because we seem not able to withstand (being a weaker bother or sister) does not mean we have lost our salvation.

Evil spirits having dominion over your body in sickness does not mean you have lost your salvation neither in the spirit realm.

If you are a son or daughter you remain that though it may be a poor one. God does not save someone just to lose them down the road, He would be working against Himself.

A classic example is King Saul. Samuel told him that shortly he would also be with him.