• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

38 minutes ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, missmuffet.

People go to heaven all the time. Anyone with an airline ticket and boards a jet goes to heaven. Luckily, they find there way back down to terra firma safely!

I do not understand your answer.Only when a born again believer dies do they go to "heaven".  There are not different levels of Heaven.

Paul is not saying that there are three heavens or even three levels of heaven. In many ancient cultures, people used the term heaven to describe three different “realms”—the sky, outer space, and then a spiritual heaven. Paul was saying that God took him to the “spiritual” heaven—the realm beyond the physical universe where God dwells. The concept of different levels of heaven may have come in part from Dante’s The Divine Comedy in which the poet describes both heaven and hell as having nine different levels. The Divine Comedy, however, is a fictional work. The idea of different levels of heaven is foreign to Scripture.

https://www.gotquestions.org/levels-heaven.html

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

11 hours ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, RustyAngeL.

OR, that the streets are pure gold, gold so pure you can see perfect reflections in it! A "glass" to the ancient world was a "mirror," and there's a fine line between refraction and reflection. Gold doesn't have a state or a crystalline structure to allow visible light to pass through it.

Read Revelation 21 and 22.  This is Heaven, everything is better and things that seem impossible here are possible there. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  11
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  6,829
  • Content Per Day:  0.85
  • Days Won:  1

Rev. 15:2, And I saw as it were a sea of glass mingled with fire; and them that come off victorious from the beast, and from his image, and from the number of his name, standing by the sea of glass, having harps of God.

The idea here seems to be of the floor of the great throne room of the heavenly temple being made of transparent glass with the appearance of fire or prismatic colors produced by the glory of God.

Out of the throne proceed lightnings which would make prismatic colors flash upon the sea of glass like the aurora borealis (northern lights). The glory of God emanating from the light in which He dwells will light the whole city and cause the glittering on the sea of glass (Rev. 21:23; 1 Tim. 6:16).

Revelation 15:2  And I saw something like a sea of glass mingled with fire, and those who have the victory over the beast, over his image and over his mark[a] and over the number of his name, standing on the sea of glass, having harps of God.

The "sea of glass" seems to be an allusion to the same situation as in Revelation 4:6 where "a sea of glass, like crystal" is seen in front of the throne in heaven. The sea is designed to reflect the glory of God,and in chapter 4 its description "like crystal" speaks of His holiness. Unlike the previous occurrence, here is the sea is mixed with fire, which speaks of divine judgment proceeding from God's holiness. John sees a company of people standing on the sea. They are specifically said to have overcome the beast of Revelation 13: 1-10 and his image, which means they are the martyred dead, destroyed by the beast. These saints have "harps of God". The harps have a privileged position and are not given to all the martyred dead, they belong to the saints martyred during the time of the great tribulation.  

• Followers:  9
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,539
  • Content Per Day:  1.07
  • Birthday:  10/28/1957

20 hours ago, missmuffet said:

I do not understand your answer.Only when a born again believer dies do they go to "heaven".  There are not different levels of Heaven.

Paul is not saying that there are three heavens or even three levels of heaven. In many ancient cultures, people used the term heaven to describe three different “realms”—the sky, outer space, and then a spiritual heaven. Paul was saying that God took him to the “spiritual” heaven—the realm beyond the physical universe where God dwells. The concept of different levels of heaven may have come in part from Dante’s The Divine Comedy in which the poet describes both heaven and hell as having nine different levels. The Divine Comedy, however, is a fictional work. The idea of different levels of heaven is foreign to Scripture.

https://www.gotquestions.org/levels-heaven.html

Shalom, missmuffet.

You're right that there aren't different levels of "heaven." I've been saying that for years! However, a believer doesn't go TO "heaven" when he dies. He goes to the grave and awaits the Resurrection. However, let's table that for the moment while I give you some verses with proper definitions in place:

Acts 1:1-12
1 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
2 Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:
3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but
wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
7 And he said unto them,
It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven (Greek: ouranos = "the sky") as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven (Greek: ouranos = "the sky")? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven (Greek: ouranos = "the sky"), shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven (Greek: ouranos = "the sky").
12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.
KJV

So, putting it all together, we should read (or at least, understand) ...

When He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up; and a cloud received Him out of their sight. (I.e., He disappeared behind a cloud, or He was hidden by a cloud.)

While they gazed intently into the sky as He ascended, look! Two men stood by them in white clothes; who also said, "You men from the Galiyl, why are you standing there gazing into the sky? This same Yeshua` (Jesus), who is taken up from you into the sky, shall come in the same way as you have seen Him go into the sky!"

Now, look at Matthew 16:1-4:

Matthew 16:1-4
1 The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired him that he would shew them a sign from heaven (Greek: ouranos = "the sky").
2 He answered and said unto them,
When it is evening, ye say, It will be fair weather: for the sky (Greek: ouranos) is red.
3 And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky (Greek: ouranos) is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky (Greek: ouranos); but can ye not discern the signs of the times?
4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas.
And he left them, and departed.
KJV

So, again, we should be reading (or at least, understanding) ...

The P'rushiym [the "Separatists"] and the Ts'dukiym [the "Righteous Ones"] came and testing, wanted Him to show them a sign from the sky. He answered them by saying,

"When it is evening, you say, 'It will be fair weather: for the sky is red.' ("Red sky at night is a sailor's delight.") And, in the morning, 'It will be foul weather today: for the sky is red and [the clouds] are descending.' ("Red sky at morning, sailors take warning.") O you hypocrites, you can figure out the surface of the sky, but you can't figure out the signs of the times? A wicked and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but there shall not be a sign given to it except the sign of the prophet Yonah."

And He left them and went away.

So, when Paul said,

2 Corinthians 12:1-4
1 It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.
2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up (Greek: harpagenta = "snatched away") to (Greek: heoos = "until") the third heaven (Greek: ouranos = "a sky").
3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
4 How that he was caught up (Greek: heerpagee = "he was snatched away") into paradise (Greek: paradeisos = "a park; an orchard"; from Hebrew: pardeec = "a park; an orchard"), and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
KJV

He was saying,

It's certainly not conducive to boast, but I will go into visions and revelations from the Lord:

I saw a man in the Messiah prior to the last 14 years (if also in a body, I couldn't see, or if out of a body, I couldn't see; God sees); truly this one was snatched away until a third sky. And, I saw that man (if also in a body, I couldn't see, or if out of a body, I couldn't see; God sees) how he was snatched away into a park and heard words not [yet] said, which were not [yet] publicly uttered by a man.

And, this is the same "third sky" that Peter saw:

2 Peter 3:3-13
3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the [FIRST] heavens (Greek: ouranoi = "[the] skies") were of old, and the earth standing out of the water [below the skies] and in the water [above the skies]:
6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: [the FLOOD]
7 But the [SECOND] heavens (Greek: hoi ouranoi = "the skies") and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. [the FIRE]
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the [SECOND] heavens (Greek: hoi ouranoi = "the skies") shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the [SECOND] heavens (Greek: hoi ouranoi = "the skies") being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new [THIRD] heavens (Greek: hoi ouranoi = "the skies") and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
KJV

Just as the first "heavens (skies) and earth" were before the Flood of Noach's day and the second "heavens (skies) and earth" are now, there will come a THIRD "heavens (skies) and earth" yet in the future after the Fire on the Day of God, the day of Judgment (the GWTJ) and punishment of ungodly people (the Lake of Fire)! This is the same New Skies and New Earth that John saw in Revelation 21:1!

Paul was describing A VISION OF THE FUTURE THAT A PROPHET OF GOD WOULD SEE!

So, the goal is not to "go to heaven"; it's to have our bodies re-created, participating in the Resurrection, and to see the earth and its skies made anew.

Then, we read,

Revelation 21:2-4
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven (Greek: ek tou ouranou = "out of-the sky"), prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven (Greek: ek tou thronou = "out of-the throne") saying, Behold, the tabernacle (Greek: hee skeenee = "the tent") of God is with men, and he will dwell (Greek: skeenoosei = "he-will-tent") with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
KJV

This city, the new, holy Jerusalem, comes down out of the sky and this tent of God is with men. This city LANDS on the new earth!

All the descriptions you've ever heard about "heaven" are really the descriptions of this new, holy Jerusalem! (Rev. 21-22)

12 hours ago, RustyAngeL said:

Read Revelation 21 and 22.  This is Heaven, everything is better and things that seem impossible here are possible there. 

Shalom, RustyAngeL.

Read the above to missmuffet. Everything in the New Earth and the New Sky SHALL be better, but they will still operate within the laws of nature, physics, and chemistry that God Himself established in the Creation. "Heaven" really is a misnomer. What we are to be anticipating is the Resurrection. When God re-creates our bodies and then later re-creates the earth and its skies, THEN the New Jerusalem descends and God dwells (tents) with US! We don't go "to Heaven." The New Jerusalem descends HERE to a re-made earth! To a re-made "sky" ("heaven")!

43 minutes ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, missmuffet.

You're right that there aren't different levels of "heaven." I've been saying that for years! However, a believer doesn't go TO "heaven" when he dies. He goes to the grave and awaits the Resurrection. However, let's table that for the moment while I give you some verses with proper definitions in place:

Acts 1:1-12
1 The former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach,
2 Until the day in which he was taken up, after that he through the Holy Ghost had given commandments unto the apostles whom he had chosen:
3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:
4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but
wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.
6 When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?
7 And he said unto them,
It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven (Greek: ouranos = "the sky") as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven (Greek: ouranos = "the sky")? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven (Greek: ouranos = "the sky"), shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven (Greek: ouranos = "the sky").
12 Then returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.
KJV

So, putting it all together, we should read (or at least, understand) ...

When He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up; and a cloud received Him out of their sight. (I.e., He disappeared behind a cloud, or He was hidden by a cloud.)

While they gazed intently into the sky as He ascended, look! Two men stood by them in white clothes; who also said, "You men from the Galiyl, why are you standing there gazing into the sky? This same Yeshua` (Jesus), who is taken up from you into the sky, shall come in the same way as you have seen Him go into the sky!"

Now, look at Matthew 16:1-4:

Matthew 16:1-4
1 The Pharisees also with the Sadducees came, and tempting desired him that he would shew them a sign from heaven (Greek: ouranos = "the sky").
2 He answered and said unto them,
When it is evening, ye say, It will be fair weather: for the sky (Greek: ouranos) is red.
3 And in the morning, It will be foul weather to day: for the sky (Greek: ouranos) is red and lowring. O ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky (Greek: ouranos); but can ye not discern the signs of the times?
4 A wicked and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas.
And he left them, and departed.
KJV

So, again, we should be reading (or at least, understanding) ...

The P'rushiym [the "Separatists"] and the Ts'dukiym [the "Righteous Ones"] came and testing, wanted Him to show them a sign from the sky. He answered them by saying,

"When it is evening, you say, 'It will be fair weather: for the sky is red.' ("Red sky at night is a sailor's delight.") And, in the morning, 'It will be foul weather today: for the sky is red and [the clouds] are descending.' ("Red sky at morning, sailors take warning.") O you hypocrites, you can figure out the surface of the sky, but you can't figure out the signs of the times? A wicked and adulterous generation seeks for a sign, but there shall not be a sign given to it except the sign of the prophet Yonah."

And He left them and went away.

So, when Paul said,

2 Corinthians 12:1-4
1 It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.
2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up (Greek: harpagenta = "snatched away") to (Greek: heoos = "until") the third heaven (Greek: ouranos = "a sky").
3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;)
4 How that he was caught up (Greek: heerpagee = "he was snatched away") into paradise (Greek: paradeisos = "a park; an orchard"; from Hebrew: pardeec = "a park; an orchard"), and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
KJV

He was saying,

It's certainly not conducive to boast, but I will go into visions and revelations from the Lord:

I saw a man in the Messiah prior to the last 14 years (if also in a body, I couldn't see, or if out of a body, I couldn't see; God sees); truly this one was snatched away until a third sky. And, I saw that man (if also in a body, I couldn't see, or if out of a body, I couldn't see; God sees) how he was snatched away into a park and heard words not [yet] said, which were not [yet] publicly uttered by a man.

And, this is the same "third sky" that Peter saw:

2 Peter 3:3-13
3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the [FIRST] heavens (Greek: ouranoi = "[the] skies") were of old, and the earth standing out of the water [below the skies] and in the water [above the skies]:
6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: [the FLOOD]
7 But the [SECOND] heavens (Greek: hoi ouranoi = "the skies") and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. [the FIRE]
8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the [SECOND] heavens (Greek: hoi ouranoi = "the skies") shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the [SECOND] heavens (Greek: hoi ouranoi = "the skies") being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new [THIRD] heavens (Greek: hoi ouranoi = "the skies") and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
KJV

Just as the first "heavens (skies) and earth" were before the Flood of Noach's day and the second "heavens (skies) and earth" are now, there will come a THIRD "heavens (skies) and earth" yet in the future after the Fire on the Day of God, the day of Judgment (the GWTJ) and punishment of ungodly people (the Lake of Fire)! This is the same New Skies and New Earth that John saw in Revelation 21:1!

Paul was describing A VISION OF THE FUTURE THAT A PROPHET OF GOD WOULD SEE!

So, the goal is not to "go to heaven"; it's to have our bodies re-created, participating in the Resurrection, and to see the earth and its skies made anew.

Then, we read,

Revelation 21:2-4
2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven (Greek: ek tou ouranou = "out of-the sky"), prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven (Greek: ek tou thronou = "out of-the throne") saying, Behold, the tabernacle (Greek: hee skeenee = "the tent") of God is with men, and he will dwell (Greek: skeenoosei = "he-will-tent") with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
KJV

This city, the new, holy Jerusalem, comes down out of the sky and this tent of God is with men. This city LANDS on the new earth!

All the descriptions you've ever heard about "heaven" are really the descriptions of this new, holy Jerusalem! (Rev. 21-22)

You are speaking of soul sleep that the soul and the body stay in the grave?

35 minutes ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, RustyAngeL.

Read the above to missmuffet. Everything in the New Earth and the New Sky SHALL be better, but they will still operate within the laws of nature, physics, and chemistry that God Himself established in the Creation. "Heaven" really is a misnomer. What we are to be anticipating is the Resurrection. When God re-creates our bodies and then later re-creates the earth and its skies, THEN the New Jerusalem descends and God dwells (tents) with US! We don't go "to Heaven." The New Jerusalem descends HERE to a re-made earth! To a re-made "sky" ("heaven")!

Do you not believe in heaven?

16 hours ago, missmuffet said:

You are speaking of soul sleep that the soul and the body stay in the grave?

Shalom, missmuffet.

Well, in a sense, yes, but with qualifications. See, the first thing that's important to understand is the definitions of "soul" and "spirit":

The Hebrew word for "soul" is "nefesh" (often written "nephesh"). The Hebrew word for "spirit" is "ruwach" (sometimes written more simply as "ruach"). Here's how Strong's lists them in the Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary:

OT:5315 nephesh (neh'-fesh); from OT:5314; properly, a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental):
KJV - any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature,  dead (-ly), desire,  [dis-] contented,  fish, ghost,  greedy, he, heart (-y), (hath,  jeopardy of) life (X in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortally, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thyself-), them (your)- selves,  slay, soul,  tablet, they, thing, (X she) will,  would have it.

OT:7307 ruwach (roo'-akh); from OT:7306; wind; by resemblance breath, i.e. a sensible (or even violent) exhalation; figuratively, life, anger, unsubstantiality; by extension, a region of the sky; by resemblance spirit, but only of a rational being (including its expression and functions):
KJV - air, anger, blast, breath,  cool, courage, mind,  quarter,  side, spirit ([-ual]), tempest,  vain, ([whirl-]) wind (-y).

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

Notice that OT:5315 is said to come "from OT:5314":

OT:5314 naaphash (naw-fash'); a primitive root; to breathe; passively, to be breathed upon, i.e. (figuratively) refreshed (as if by a current of air):
KJV - (be) refresh selves (-ed).

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

"Nefesh" is the noun form; "naafash" ("naaphash") is the verb form. With these definitions in mind, look carefully at Gen. 2:7:

Genesis 2:7
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
KJV

The Hebrew of this verse is this:

B'reeshiyt 2:7
7 Vayiytser YHWH Elohiym et haa'aadaam `aafaar min haa'adaamaah vayipach b'apaayow nishmat chayiym vayhiy haa'aadaam l-nefesh chayaah:
JPS Hebrew-English TANAKH

7 Vayiytser = 7 And-formed
YHWH = YHWH; the LORD
Elohiym = God
et = (next word is the direct object)
haa'aadaam = the-red-(man)
`aafaar = of-dust
min = from
haa'adaamaah = the-red-(ground)
vayipach = and-breathed
b'apaayow = in-his-nostrils
nishmat = a-puff
chayiym = of-life
vayhiy = and-became
l-nefesh = to/into-an-air-breather
chayaah: = living:

String it all together in English word order and one gets:

And YHWH God formed the red (man) of dust from the red (ground) and breathed into his nostrils a puff of life, and the red (man) became into a living air breather.

Notice a few things:

First, "the red (man)," even before he came to life, was "formed from the dust of the red (ground)." Therefore, "the red (man)" IS the body!
Second, "the red (man)" with the "puff of life" BECAME a "living air breather," a "living soul!" When he was able to breathe air on his own, "the red (man)," the body, BECAME a "living soul."
Third, the reason that "the red (man)" was called "Adam" is BECAUSE he was "the red (man)." That's what his name meant!

Now, add to this the first instances of "nefesh":

Genesis 1:20-21
20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature (Hebrew: nefesh) that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
21 And God created great whales, and every living creature (Hebrew: nefesh) that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
KJV

Genesis 1:24
24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature (Hebrew: nefesh) after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
KJV

Genesis 1:30
30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life (Hebrew: nefesh), I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
KJV

And, we learn that animals, both those in the water and those on land, are "air-breathers" as well, "SOULS!"

Now, look at the Flood: We read,...

Genesis 7:17-23
17 And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth.
18 And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters.
19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.
21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:
22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.
23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.
KJV

The Hebrew of verses 22 and 23 is...

B'reeshiyt 7:22-23
22 Kol asher nishmat ruwach chayiym b'apaayow mikol asher bechaaraaVaah meetuw:
23 Vayimach et kaal hayquwm asher `al pneey haa'adaamaah mee'aadaam `ad bheemaah `ad remes v`ad `owf hashaamayim vayimaachuw min haa'aarets vayishaa'er akh Noach va'asher itow bateeVaah:

22 Kol = 22 All
asher = whose
nishmat = a-puff
ruwach = of-wind/breath
chayiym = of-life
b'apaayow = in-his/its-nostrils
mikol = from-all
asher = that
bechaaraaVaah = in-[the]-dry-[land]
meetuw: = died:
23 Vayimach = And-was-destroyed
kaal = every
hayquwm = living-thing
asher = that
`al = upon
pneey = [the]-face
haa'adaamaah = of-the-red (ground)
mee'aadaam = from-[the]-red (man)
`ad = to/toward
bheemaah = cattle/herd-beast
`ad = to/toward
remes = creeping-thing
v`ad = and-to/toward
`owf = bird/fowl
hashaamayim = of-the-skies
vayimaachuw = and-they-were-destroyed
min = from
haa'aarets = the-earth/land
vayishaa'er = and-remained
akh = only
Noach = Noah
va'asher = and-those
itow = with-him
bateeVaah: = in-[the]-box/ark:

(Notice that the fish of the seas were omitted.) Therefore, ALL of these creatures that had breath had this "nishmat ruwach chayiym," this "puff of wind/breath of life." So, animals had "spirit" as well! They all had "breath!"

Look at the Curse in Genesis 3: Adam is told, ...

Genesis 3:19
19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
KJV

At the time he was cursed, Adam IS the dust! And, God said that when Adam died, "You shall return unto dust." He did NOT say that his BODY would return to dust!

The "formula" is, then, "body (person) + breath = air-breather (living person)." Using the words that are usually used for translation,...

"body (person) + spirit (breath) = soul (living person)."

When one puts all this together, one comes to realize why there's so much importance put on the RESURRECTION of our bodies, or rather, the resurrection of US!

This means when one "gives up the ghost (spirit)," one ceases to be a soul (living, air-breathing person) and is just the body (person) who is laid in the ground and decays - goes back to dust.

HOWEVER, we are REMEMBERED by a God who NEVER FORGETS! David said,

Psalm 139:1-18
1 O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.
2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.
5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
8 If I ascend up into heaven (the skies), thou art there: if I make my bed in hell (the grave), behold, thou art there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
KJV

Iyov (Job) said,

Job 14:12-14
12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.
13 O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!
14 If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.
KJV

Iyov believed in a Resurrection!

The good part is, once a person has died, the next thing he or she knows will be waking up again in the Resurrection!

25 minutes ago, Retrobyter said:

Shalom, missmuffet.

Well, in a sense, yes, but with qualifications. See, the first thing that's important to understand is the definitions of "soul" and "spirit":

The Hebrew word for "soul" is "nefesh" (often written "nephesh"). The Hebrew word for "spirit" is "ruwach" (sometimes written more simply as "ruach"). Here's how Strong's lists them in the Hebrew and Chaldee Dictionary:

OT:5315 nephesh (neh'-fesh); from OT:5314; properly, a breathing creature, i.e. animal of (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental):
KJV - any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature,  dead (-ly), desire,  [dis-] contented,  fish, ghost,  greedy, he, heart (-y), (hath,  jeopardy of) life (X in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortally, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thyself-), them (your)- selves,  slay, soul,  tablet, they, thing, (X she) will,  would have it.

OT:7307 ruwach (roo'-akh); from OT:7306; wind; by resemblance breath, i.e. a sensible (or even violent) exhalation; figuratively, life, anger, unsubstantiality; by extension, a region of the sky; by resemblance spirit, but only of a rational being (including its expression and functions):
KJV - air, anger, blast, breath,  cool, courage, mind,  quarter,  side, spirit ([-ual]), tempest,  vain, ([whirl-]) wind (-y).

Notice that OT:5315 is said to come "from OT:5314":

OT:5314 naaphash (naw-fash'); a primitive root; to breathe; passively, to be breathed upon, i.e. (figuratively) refreshed (as if by a current of air):
KJV - (be) refresh selves (-ed).

"Nefesh" is the noun form; "naafash" ("naaphash") is the verb form. With these definitions in mind, look carefully at Gen. 2:7:

Genesis 2:7
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
KJV

The Hebrew of this verse is this:

B'reeshiyt 2:7
7 Vayiytser YHWH Elohiym et haa'aadaam `aafaar min haa'adaamaah vayipach b'apaayow nishmat chayiym vayhiy haa'aadaam l-nefesh chayaah:

7 Vayiytser = 7 And-formed
YHWH = YHWH; the LORD
Elohiym = God
`aafaar = of-dust
min = from
haa'adaamaah = the-red-(ground)
vayipach = and-breathed
b'apaayow = in-his-nostrils
nishmat = a-puff
chayiym = of-life
vayhiy = and-became
l-nefesh = to/into-an-air-breather
chayaah: = living:

String it all together in English word order and one gets:

And YHWH God formed the red (man) of dust from the red (ground) and breathed into his nostrils a puff of life, and the red (man) became into a living air breather.

Notice a few things:

First, "the red (man)," even before he came to life, was "formed from the dust of the red (ground)." Therefore, "the red (man)" IS the body!
Second, "the red (man)" with the "puff of life" BECAME a "living air breather," a "living soul!" When he was able to breathe air on his own, "the red (man)," the body, BECAME a "living soul."
Third, the reason that "the red (man)" was called "Adam" is BECAUSE he was "the red (man)." That's what his name meant!

Now, add to this the first instances of "nefesh":

Genesis 1:20-21
20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature (Hebrew: nefesh) that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
21 And God created great whales, and every living creature (Hebrew: nefesh) that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
KJV

Genesis 1:24
24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature (Hebrew: nefesh) after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
KJV

Genesis 1:30
30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life (Hebrew: nefesh), I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
KJV

And, we learn that animals, both those in the water and those on land, are "air-breathers" as well, "SOULS!"

Now, look at the Flood: We read,...

Genesis 7:17-23
17 And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth.
18 And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters.
19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered.
20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered.
21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man:
22 All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died.
23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark.
KJV

The Hebrew of verses 22 and 23 is...

B'reeshiyt 7:22-23
22 Kol asher nishmat ruwach chayiym b'apaayow mikol asher bechaaraaVaah meetuw:
23 Vayimach et kaal hayquwm asher `al pneey haa'adaamaah mee'aadaam `ad bheemaah `ad remes v`ad `owf hashaamayim vayimaachuw min haa'aarets vayishaa'er akh Noach va'asher itow bateeVaah:

22 Kol = 22 All
asher = whose
nishmat = a-puff
ruwach = of-wind/breath
chayiym = of-life
b'apaayow = in-his/its-nostrils
mikol = from-all
asher = that
bechaaraaVaah = in-[the]-dry-[land]
meetuw: = died:
23 Vayimach = And-was-destroyed
kaal = every
hayquwm = living-thing
asher = that
`al = upon
pneey = [the]-face
haa'adaamaah = of-the-red (ground)
mee'aadaam = from-[the]-red (man)
`ad = to/toward
bheemaah = cattle/herd-beast
`ad = to/toward
remes = creeping-thing
v`ad = and-to/toward
`owf = bird/fowl
hashaamayim = of-the-skies
vayimaachuw = and-they-were-destroyed
min = from
haa'aarets = the-earth/land
vayishaa'er = and-remained
akh = only
Noach = Noah
va'asher = and-those
itow = with-him
bateeVaah: = in-[the]-box/ark:

(Notice that the fish of the seas were omitted.) Therefore, ALL of these creatures that had breath had this "nishmat ruwach chayiym," this "puff of wind/breath of life." So, animals had "spirit" as well! They all had "breath!"

Look at the Curse in Genesis 3: Adam is told, ...

Genesis 3:19
19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.
KJV

At the time he was cursed, Adam IS the dust! And, God said that when Adam died, "You shall return unto dust." He did NOT say that his BODY would return to dust!

The "formula" is, then, "body (person) + breath = air-breather (living person)." Using the words that are usually used for translation,...

"body (person) + spirit (breath) = soul (living person)."

When one puts all this together, one comes to realize why there's so much importance put on the RESURRECTION of our bodies, or rather, the resurrection of US!

This means when one "gives up the ghost (spirit)," one ceases to be a soul (living, air-breathing person) and is just the body (person) who is laid in the ground and decays - goes back to dust.

HOWEVER, we are REMEMBERED by a God who NEVER FORGETS! David said,

Psalm 139:1-18
1 O LORD, thou hast searched me, and known me.
2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.
3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.
4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.
5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.
7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
8 If I ascend up into heaven (the skies), thou art there: if I make my bed in hell (the grave), behold, thou art there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.
13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.
14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.
15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
17 How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
18 If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.
KJV

Iyov (Job) said,

Job 14:12-14
12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.
13 O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!
14 If a man die, shall he live again? all the days of my appointed time will I wait, till my change come.
KJV

Iyov believed in a Resurrection!

The good part is, once a person has died, the next thing he or she knows will be waking up again in the Resurrection!

Soul sleep is not Biblical. The soul immediately goes to heaven or Hades.