IGNORED

Who is with me? How much do you love God?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Side note I honestly think we as Christians spend way too much time on this topic that (like Armenianism Vs Calvinism) just seems to create more rifts than building bridges.

I believe 20 of the 66 books in the bible address the topic of end times prophecy, roughly a third, so it appears to me an important one. I've heard your sentiment by many folks over the years, and it always leaves me puzzled because of that. We are repeatedly instructed to be prepared, and I find the best way to do that is through study.

The bible is truth, and everything we need to know is found within its pages. I think it's important that we challenge any teaching that is contrary to scripture, iron sharpens iron.

Perhaps you have a point. The end times is mentioned throughout Scripture. I'm not questioning being prepared. I think that is important to live as if Christ were to return today. However, I dislike it when people are more concerned about being right than about learning truth. And that people cannot concede that perhaps another person's view has some validity.

Iron does sharpen iron. Yet sometimes I think people forget that in tearing down falsehoods we're also not to tear down fellow believers at the same time.

These are my thoughts and concerns.

God bless brother. :)

GE

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

I was responding to a different thread, where a poster expressed a sort of disbelief I guess, that some beleivers want to somehow prove themselves to God, by going through the tribulation.

I felt my response, was worth posting as a topic on it's own, so here it is:

<snip>

Who is with me?

I have nothing to prove to God. Jesus accomplished all that was required for my acceptance by God on the cross. I think a desire to go through the horror of the Tribulation is prideful.

The focus should be on Jesus and His mercy. We should be thankful He is going to rescue us from the wrath that is to come.

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

Perhaps you have a point. The end times is mentioned throughout Scripture. I'm not questioning being prepared. I think that is important to live as if Christ were to return today. However, I dislike it when people are more concerned about being right than about learning truth. And that people cannot concede that perhaps another person's view has some validity.

Iron does sharpen iron. Yet sometimes I think people forget that in tearing down falsehoods we're also not to tear down fellow believers at the same time.

GE

My intention is to reach a common ground based on scripture. I firmly believe that the bible tells us everything we need to reach common ground, if we handle scripture consistently and absent personal biases. Sadly these discussions can and do get ugly at times, I suppose pride plays a role in that. My objective has and will always be, to present my position clearly, with scriptural support. If it cannot be refuted with scripture then I will hold to it. I don't approach these discussions to win an argument, but to challenge anything that is not biblical, I don't have the market cornered on truth, but the bible does.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

GE

My intention is to reach a common ground based on scripture. I firmly believe that the bible tells us everything we need to reach common ground, if we handle scripture consistently and absent personal biases. Sadly these discussions can and do get ugly at times, I suppose pride plays a role in that. My objective has and will always be, to present my position clearly, with scriptural support. If it cannot be refuted with scripture then I will hold to it. I don't approach these discussions to win an argument, but to challenge anything that is not biblical, I don't have the market cornered on truth, but the bible does.

I understand brother. :)

I was speaking in general terms.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

My only concern with this thread is that those who may not believe a particular way about the tribulation may be considered less "on fire" for God?

For clarification I'm neither pre, mid, or post trib. I'm pro. I believe the Bible said it's going to happen and how that all works out is up to God. :thumbsup:

Side note I honestly think we as Christians spend way too much time on this topic that (like Armenianism Vs Calvinism) just seems to create more rifts than building bridges.

The thing about Calvinism versus Arminianism and other similar stances is that the base theological positions that people take with regards to these can tend to shape a lot of the other theological positions that one holds. That's what makes it difficult to get past certain things, in my opinion.

For instance, if someone completely believes in baptismal regeneration then they aren't even going to view people who haven't been baptized yet as Christian at all, so it's going to be hard to build a bridge there at all and the doctrine is what stands in the way.

Similarly, a 5 point Calvinist is going to be at odds in a lot of ways with someone who is more legalistic in a myriad of areas regarding salvation.

I think that discussing these things, even if there is common dissent from each side, is incredibly important in building those bridges because in a lot of cases I simply see no other way to do it. You're not going to convince very many people to just go along to get along if it involves throwing a sizeable percentage of their theology out the window. If you, right off the bat, say Topics A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O and P are off limits, all we should really be talking about are topics Q through Z, then it does two things, keeps those groups of people from ever having any real in depth Bible based fellowship (because a lot of the Bible will be off limits) and creates underlying animosity because people feel like they're being unfairly silenced on things they're passionate about. So now you've got a bunch of people who are incredibly passionate about Jesus standing around talking about the weather. I believe that it's much more likely to work if you have those discussions, even if they're difficult. At least at the end of the day there's a chance of both sides agreeing to disagree while working together in other areas.

In short, I think difference in doctrine is what leads to the creation of rifts and that heated conversations are a manifest symptom of that, not what leads to it.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/17/1971

Great thread Omie and I posted for this topic is very interesting,Now theres some that thinks we shouldn't even discuss trib etc but if the Lord didn't want us to dont ya think He would tell us? yes we are to be ready however how are you gonna be ready if you dont know what to expect? Im not much of a debater but I actually learn from you all here and I thank you all for sharing your thoughts on here may God bless you all

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

1 Thess. 1:10--and to wait for His Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come.

Rom. 5:9 Much more then, having been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.

1 Thess 5:9 For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.

I am sure that had God intended for us to endure His wrath He would give us the grace that we need. But Scripture clearly states this is not His intent. I thank and praise Him for His coming deliverance and mercy on His children.

However, we are also told that there will be persecution leading up to the great tribulation and the wrath of God. Again, God will give us grace to endure what we must when the time comes. I'm afraid I do not have a "martyr's compex." I don't like the pain I endure now. But should I be required to die for Christ's sake, I can't think of a better reason. I much prefer to go that way then in a senseless way which doesn't glorify Him.

Guest ninhao

My only concern with this thread is that those who may not believe a particular way about the tribulation may be considered less "on fire" for God?

For clarification I'm neither pre, mid, or post trib. I'm pro. I believe the Bible said it's going to happen and how that all works out is up to God. :thumbsup:

I think that discussing these things, even if there is common dissent from each side, is incredibly important in building those bridges because in a lot of cases I simply see no other way to do it. ....

I agree SteveS but it is the way these discussions are conducted which is important. If they cannot be discussed cordially then it is better to leave them dormant.