GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

I was studying today the OT and in particular this term "The Day of the Lord." I didn't realize it comes up in Scripture 29 times... 24 times in the OT and 5 in the NT.

What do you think of this term? What does it mean to you?

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Good topic Jon. The Day of the Lord, as I understand it, is the seventh day or seventh one thousand year period after the creation of the world in which Jesus Christ will have his millennial reign over the earth bringing all of creation into subjection unto God with a rod of iron that proceeds out of his mouth. It will be ushered in by the opening of the seals in Revelation and end with the delivering up of rule over the creation to God the Father for eternity.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

After studing it myself, I firmly believe the lord led me to the conclussion that it is when God's wrath or vengenance begins. Like with verses like Jeremiah 46:10 and Isaiah 13:9.

I also believe it makes it so when the bible uses it in verses like Joel 2:31 and Acts 2:20 it should get our attention, since it's so clearly stating ( in my understanding) that those events are taking place before his wrath. Also on a side note, I've always wondered if this verse below, could be a partial explanation for the 7th seal????

Zephaniah 1:7

Hold thy peace at the presence of the Lord God: for the day of the Lord is at hand: for the Lord hath prepared a sacrifice, he hath bid his guests.

I've always wondered if the reason for the 7th seal is this verse? Because God is getting ready to pour out his wrath. Nothing I could ever prove, just a couple of thoughts for you.

God bless you

Firestormx

Joseph

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  321
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/03/1957

My understanding is that the Jews divided time into two broad categories: This present (evil) age, and the Age to come.

This present age is of course characterized by sin, separation from God, death, sickness. etc. The Age to come is the "golden age of God's rule"...where He tabernacles with men, and men live in His very presence forever.

In between these two ages is a period of time known as "The Day of The Lord" described in 2 Peter 3:10:

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night, in which the heavens will pass away with a great noise, and the elements will melt with fervent heat; both the earth and the works that are in it will be burned up.

The period of time that Judgment comes, the heavens and the earth pass away, and everything is made anew.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

The passage I think of mostly is Amos 5:

18Alas, you who are longing for the day of the LORD,

For what purpose will the day of the LORD be to you?

It will be darkness and not light;

19As when a man flees from a lion

And a bear meets him,

Or goes home, leans his hand against the wall

And a snake bites him.

20Will not the day of the LORD be darkness instead of light,

Even gloom with no brightness in it?

a look at all of those passages is the best way to get a feel for it.

The New Testament passage that comes to mind is 1 Thess:

1Now as to the times and the epochs, brethren, you have no need of anything to be written to you. 2For you yourselves know full well that the day of the Lord will come just like a thief in the night. 3While they are saying, “Peace and safety!” then destruction will come upon them suddenly like labor pains upon a woman with child, and they will not escape. 4But you, brethren, are not in darkness, that the day would overtake you like a thief

I looked for the other reference that I recalled that Paul made to the Thessalonians, which read:

1Now we request you, brethren, with regard to the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, 2that you not be quickly shaken from your composure or be disturbed either by a spirit or a message or a letter as if from us, to the effect that the day of the Lord has come.3Let no one in any way deceive you, for it will not come unless the apostasy comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, 4who opposes and exalts himself above every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, displaying himself as being God.

As one of the resident evil post trib belkeivers at Worthy, I was quick to notice a few things there.

The Day of the Lord comes as a thief in the night. Some of us think that coming as a thief in the night means that it can happen at any moment, but Paul points out that this is not true here, since the apostasy must occur first, and the man of sin revealed.

I suggest that those interested in the topic of the Day of the Lord, also look up similar phrases, like day of God, Day of Yawhew, Day of Jehovah, day of wrath, day of visitation, day of Christ, "that Day" etc, and determine if they are the same or a related event. Look for things associated with the day of the Lord - like changes in the Sun and Moon and Stars, then follow with searches on the Sun and Moon and stars, to see what agreement you can find there, it is a big study and since it is mentioned over and over again, I assume that means God wants us to "get it".

• Followers:  18
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  2,795
  • Content Per Day:  0.65
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  07/26/1952

I think it means when Jesus comes back. Somewhere it's called the Great and Terrible Day of the Lord. It will be Great for God and His believers. But Terrible for everyone else. That's an over simplification, because I don't have much time.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.78
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

That day is when we see Him in His glory. Either we will be drawn up to Him or cower away.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Here's my take...

The Day of the Lord is described in detail in Joel 2. The day is described as being a day of darkness and gloom. It will be a day of wrath, judgment, and destruction. It is described as a vast army of fire that is set to destroy whatever comes upon it's path. The people are in anguish and their faces grow pale. This army is not halted or distracted by others in the army. They don't turn left or right. They overcome everything they pass such as walls, houses, and even enter as thieves through windows. The earth and heavens tremble before this mighty army. The sun, moon, and stars stop shining because of this army. 

It comes out this is the army of the Lord. The day of the Lord is going to be great and awesome to witness. There is an appeal for those who are far from God to return to Him.

Restoration therefor depends on repentance. God is portrayed as gracious, merciful, and slow to anger. And those who call upon the name of the Lord will be saved as those in Mount Zion and Jerusalem will escape as God has promised. Those whom the Lord calls will be among the survivors. God will deliver His people from harm and restore them to Himself.