christianity....A cult..Really?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  183
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

Cults grab headlines and, in my opinion, make them seem way more prevalent than they are. You don't see good, Christian churches on the news doing the things Christ has commanded us to do . I believe that might be one reason people regard us in that way.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Personally, I like the term Jesus Freak better.

What will they say when they find out i'm a Jesus Freak?... :)

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2

:clap: Oh nooo the JESUS FREAKS ARE ON THE LOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /runs away I agree not enough is said about the good things that churches do my grandfather has been a missionary all his life going to places all over the world helping to do many good things. Same with my uncle they are both doing many good things in this world. Yet no one really talks about this. I hate when other atheists bring up the argument that religions does more harm than good As an atheist I don't believe in god/gods/goddesses so if religions does any harm or evil that's just human nature its not religion we are an aggressive species on this planet when people use religion as an excuse to do harm they were going to harm in the first place if it wasn't religion as the excuse it would have been something else.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

well one thing you will find in atheist communities is of the major religions left in this world Islam by in large is frowned upon the most. However, large parts of Africa are starting to radicalize Christianity and are starting to catch up so its important to stay on top of these things. They are burning "witches" out there which is something that is not really talked about these days. I think extremism is probably fine but I think there is a difference in radicalization. Like an amish person is an extreme Christian there some extreme muslims that are peaceful radicals are a different story that's when things start to get violent. In America though extreme Christians are pretty harmless imho.

Please direct me to the sites where you are finding African "Christians" burning witches "out there"? And "large parts of Africa" radicalizing Christianity.

well one thing you will find in atheist communities is of the major religions left in this world Islam by in large is frowned upon the most. However, large parts of Africa are starting to radicalize Christianity and are starting to catch up so its important to stay on top of these things. They are burning "witches" out there which is something that is not really talked about these days. I think extremism is probably fine but I think there is a difference in radicalization. Like an amish person is an extreme Christian there some extreme muslims that are peaceful radicals are a different story that's when things start to get violent. In America though extreme Christians are pretty harmless imho.

Please direct me to the sites where you are finding African "Christians" burning witches "out there"?

Please define "catch up"?

And "large parts of Africa" radicalizing Christianity?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/10/18/african-children-denounce_n_324943.html its really not hard to find just google African witch burning. I am not saying its happening every where in the world but it is happening. we know its wrong its sad and its heartbreaking the important thing is to keep awareness up as this can tarnish Christianity if left unchecked. This is a problem that can easily be solved by education. ministers missionaries and other people involved should be vigilant about this. Africa in general can be a pretty violent place and violent people can hi-jack religion as a means to an end. Its important to be aware of these things is all I am saying its not the fault of Christianity but people will use it as an excuse to do violent things.

... really not hard to find just google African witch burning. I am not saying its happening every where in the world but it is happening. we know its wrong its sad and its heartbreaking the important thing is to keep awareness up as this can tarnish Christianity if left unchecked. This is a problem that can easily be solved by education. ministers missionaries and other people involved should be vigilant about this. Africa in general can be a pretty violent place and violent people can hi-jack religion as a means to an end. Its important to be aware of these things is all I am saying its not the fault of Christianity but people will use it as an excuse to do violent things.

No, you brought the subject up and since it is really not that hard, it is for you to prove. Now please show us where radical Christians are burning witches. Stats would be nice. Also please show me where violent Christians have hi jacked religion as a means to an end. I will concede Islam in the main on this point, but not Christianity.

You never answered two of my questions?

Please define "catch up"?

And "large parts of Africa" radicalizing Christianity?

hmm I tried posting a link but I guess it didn't show up. www huffingtonpost com/2009/10/18/african-children-denounce_n_324943 html replace the spaces with dots. I gtg right now but ill be back on later for the other parts of your question. ill do some stat mining in a second as well so be patient.

catch-up i.e the rate of overall total deaths from 1970 to now as a result of terrorism or religiously inspired violent revolution.

ill identify the countries in my next post to just be patient =D

update 1.

list of countries with a particular problem of witch hunting Cameroon, Democratic Republic of the Congo, the Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Sierra Leone, Tanzania, and Zambia. other cases of witch hunting exist all over Africa but are not prevalent enough to be consider a major problem.

update 2.

Due to the nature of information gathering in the area on the specific subject I could not find a source sufficient to meet my needs. There are a lot of articles scattered across the web but it doesn't seem as if anyone has collated the data yet there are individual reports since 1999 in some countries where as much as 200 people have been tortured and executed and other countries where up to 1000 people have been imprisoned and forced to drink poison cocktails. so an actual total I don't have at the moment. ill do some more digging

Edited by WarmRoom

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  730
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  09/13/1993

I hate when other atheists bring up the argument that religions does more harm than good As an atheist I don't believe in god/gods/goddesses so if religions does any harm or evil that's just human nature its not religion we are an aggressive species on this planet when people use religion as an excuse to do harm they were going to harm in the first place if it wasn't religion as the excuse it would have been something else.

WarmRoom - Have you seen the TED talk given by the atheist Alain de Botton? He also rejects the extreme views of Dawkins and Hitchens that religion is by definition harmful and he actually seeks to incorporate philosophical religious ideas (love thy neighbor, forgiveness, etc) to better the world while at the same time rejecting the concept of God. He calls it atheism 2.0 and the talk is fairly interesting.    

• 1 month later...

Well to be fair Christianity did start out as a cult within Judaism. What you are having problems with is Post-modern thought. 

~

The God

Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and beside me there is no God. Isaiah 44:6

Of Abraham, Isaac And Jacob

For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. Isaiah 54:5

Is The Holy Messiah

This is what the Lord says:“Where is your mother’s certificate of divorcewith which I sent her away?Or to which of my creditorsdid I sell you?

Because of your sins you were sold; because of your transgressions your mother was sent away.

When I came, why was there no one? When I called, why was there no one to answer? Was my arm too short to deliver you? Do I lack the strength to rescue you? By a mere rebuke I dry up the sea, I turn rivers into a desert; their fish rot for lack of water and die of thirst.

I clothe the heavens with darkness and make sackcloth its covering.”

The Sovereign Lord has given me a well-instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning,

wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed.

The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears; I have not been rebellious, I have not turned away.

I offered my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard; I did not hide my face from mocking and spitting. Isaiah 50:1-6 (NIV)

Of The Jew

Because the Sovereign Lord helps me, I will not be disgraced. Therefore have I set my face like flint, and I know I will not be put to shame.

He who vindicates me is near. Who then will bring charges against me? Let us face each other! Who is my accuser? Let him confront me!

It is the Sovereign Lord who helps me. Who will condemn me? They will all wear out like a garment; the moths will eat them up. Isaiah 50:7-9 (NIV)

And He Is My LORD And My God

And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. John 20:28

Too