• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Depends on where you get your definition. Here is googles. Christianity would fit the definition given.

cult

/kəlt/

Noun

• A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
  • A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

Synonyms

worship - religion - adoration

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Definitions of a cult:

1/ Group adulation of one human leader and founder, personified to almost deity-like status.

2/ Peer pressure by other members of the cult to conform to the rules and principles as laid out by the leader. Pressure to conform may be aggressive in nature.

3/ Criticism of the cult leader forbidden.

4/ Contact with outsiders limited or forbidden altogether. Access to outside information limited or censored.

5/ Internal Peer pressure encouraged by the leader. Cult members expected to inform on each other and report any dissidence. Vigilante activity within the cult is encouraged to keep subordinates in line. Members may be expected to die for causes to the cult or for the leader.

Christianity is definitely NOT a cult (although there may be cults claiming to be Christian).

According to the above definitions there is one major World religion that would be classified as a cult. I'll leave you to guess which one that is!

I'm not good at guessing. Care to be more specific.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  26
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  01/29/1976

The whole history of the world is discovered to be but a contest between the wisdom of God and the cunning of Satan and fallen men.

" A. W. Tozer "

.... Christianity is definitely NOT a cult (although there may be cults claiming to be Christian).

According to the above definitions there is one major World religion that would be classified as a cult. I'll leave you to guess which one that is!....

I'm not good at guessing. Care to be more specific.

Ask Not For Whom The Bell Tolls

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world. And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. 1 John 2:15-17

It Tolls For Thee John Donne http://isu.indstate.edu/ilnprof/ENG451/ISLAND/

Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. Whosoever denieth the Son, the same hath not the Father: (but) he that acknowledgeth the Son hath the Father also.

Let that therefore abide in you, which ye have heard from the beginning. If that which ye have heard from the beginning shall remain in you, ye also shall continue in the Son, and in the Father. And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life.

These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. 1 John 2:22-26

~

Believe

All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light. Matthew 11:27-30

And Be Blessed Beloved

Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 2 Corinthians 5:20

Love, Joe

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  145
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Even me as a very liberal Christian have come under persecution as being part of a cult of bring apart of Christianity. No religion should be considered a cult as they all have different views, and it is a bit intolerant as well.

EDIT: though, well, I would say there are some cults (just ignore some of that from above. I've just gotten out of the AP U.S History national test, so I'm extreamly tired and don't really think when I post sometimes).

Edited by bestrfcplayer

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  141
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  2

Being viewed as a cult. Well I can see where people can get mischaracterizations Westboro Baptist Church anyone? Also during the early formation of Christianity there were many jesus cults when it was being formed and often there was worship directed at only 1 book in the bible and some that we no longer have available due to the other Christian cults trying to censor competing branches. At some point these various cults became unified for protection likely as a result of bat guano crazy man known only as nero. strength in numbers indeed this is really where Christianity left cult like status in my opinion today though there are still splinter churches that have extremely cult like behaviors like Westboro. However I think when most people look at you like your in a cult or treat you like your in one they have a stereotyped idea of what a cultists acts says and looks like you simply might be exhibiting a behavior that reminds them of that.

.... you simply might be exhibiting a behavior that reminds them of that....

Strangely

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. Matthew 5:44-45

Most Will Agree

Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also. John 15:20

And Yet The Truth Will Be Posted

And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God. Luke 4:4

For Whosoever Will Eat

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

And Be Blessed

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Love, Joe

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

Definitions of a cult:

1/ Group adulation of one human leader and founder, personified to almost deity-like status.

2/ Peer pressure by other members of the cult to conform to the rules and principles as laid out by the leader. Pressure to conform may be aggressive in nature.

3/ Criticism of the cult leader forbidden.

4/ Contact with outsiders limited or forbidden altogether. Access to outside information limited or censored.

5/ Internal Peer pressure encouraged by the leader. Cult members expected to inform on each other and report any dissidence. Vigilante activity within the cult is encouraged to keep subordinates in line. Members may be expected to die for causes to the cult or for the leader.

Christianity is definitely NOT a cult (although there may be cults claiming to be Christian).

According to the above definitions there is one major World religion that would be classified as a cult. I'll leave you to guess which one that is!

My view may not be popular, but I see cult like behavior in some Christian churches.

A while back, there was a theology which became popular in some Christian churches called the Shepherding movement. In the Shepherding movement, the belief was based on the idea that there was insufficient work done by leadership to 'shepherd' the sheep. The down fall of this idea was it placed the pastors/leaders in a higher position and the everyday believers/sheep were to be dependent on the superior leaders.

In that movement, the Pastor/leader was not to be questioned. A common statement was 'touch not God's annointed', to keep the 'sheep' from challenging or questioning the leaders. The leaders were viewed as 'the annointed'.

In that movement, the sheep/people were told they had to have a covering. A covering is a pastor/leader who supposedly was the intercessor or teacher over the sheep. If a person did not have a covering, they were viewed as sinning, Jezebels, and were rejected/shunned by other shepherding churches.

If a person did not toe the line, the others in the congregation did watch and report them. Another term for those who did not submit to this pastor/leaders was, rebellious or unteachable. These labels and peer pressure either drove the people out, or caused them to submit.

The originators of the Shepherding movement concept were called the Fort Lauderdale five, and eventually realized the errors of the concept and repented. Before that happened though, many organizations saw the advantage and formed around this concept.

So, yes, there are cult like Christian churches. Several books have been written over the years about these 'abusive churches'.

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Depends on where you get your definition. Here is googles. Christianity would fit the definition given.

cult

/kəlt/

Noun

• A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
  • A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

Synonyms

worship - religion - adoration

I agree that definitons vary. My definition came from a conensus amongst a team of leading psychologists. I'm sorry, I forget the source. I recorded the details a few years ago but forgot to include where I got them from.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Back in the 1st century all Christians were considered a Jewish cult.

Personally, I like the term Jesus Freak better.

Many luke warm Christians consider us a cult, as do some of the mainline churches. Anyone who is sold out to Jesus, giving their lives to Him, is an extrememist to them. While I love being thought of that way, the world thinks of us as being dangerous. They think that fundamentalist Christians are like fundamentalist muslims. A Baptist fundamentalist friend of mine encountered jewish lady who was copying flyers that warned against millitant fundamentalist Christians. This is really funny, if you think about it, because most fundamentalist Christians support the state of Israel.

Personally, I have found that the best way to witness is to tell how Jesus has changed your life and the lives of the people closest to you. They will think you are crazier than before, but that is OK. Satin was overcome by the blood of Jesus and the word of their testamony, we are told in Revelations. Hitting people over the head with Scripture doesn't do much good. But there comes a time that we do have to give a defense for our beliefs and we have to use Scripture.