• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

A. Thoughts on the article?

B. What lessons have you learned about giving?

God bless,

GE

Does Jesus Command Us to Help the Poor?

The-Poor.jpg

by Chris on May 14, 2013

At first blush, this question might seem like a no-brainer to readers. But, who are the poor? What does God’s Word say about the poor? How do we effectively help the poor? Let’s dig in!

Who are the poor?

Because all of us come from different backgrounds, cultures, and expectations, what we define as poor, may not actually be poor to others or even in God’s eyes. Determining who the poor really are can become a very subjective exercise. To prevent that we must first establish a common understanding of whom the poor are as presented in the Scriptures.

The two primary Greek words used in the New Testament for the word poor are penichros and ptōchos. Penichros is defined as needy while ptōchos has more severe implications meaning reduced to beggary, destitute of wealth, influence, position, honor, lowly, afflicted, helpless, powerless to accomplish an end, lacking in anything.

John MacArthur writes, “The word commonly used for ordinary poverty was penichros, and is used of the widow Jesus saw giving an offering in the Temple. She had very little, but she did have two small copper coins (see Luke 21:2). She was poor but not a beggar. One who is penichros poor has at least some meager resources. One who is ptōchos poor, however, is completely dependent on others for sustenance. He has absolutely no means of self-support.”

For the purpose of this article, I’ve chosen to focus on the ptōchos poor, those that are helpless and lack everything.

Two Kinds of Poverty

The New Testament describes two kinds of ptōchos poverty:

1. Materially Poor – But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, . . . . (Matthew 6:3 NIV).

This verse clearly points out the existence of the materially poor. This is not a command to give from Jesus but a description of how we are to give (quietly). This verse primarily strikes at our motive for giving to the poor as it comes in the context of a warning from Jesus to not practice acts of righteousness so that others will notice.

2. Spiritually Poor – Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 5:3 NIV)

This verse speaks of those who are spiritually poor and how they are blessed because of their poverty. Matthew Henry’s concise commentary shares this insight, “The poor in spirit are happy. These bring their minds to their condition, when it is a low condition. They are humble and lowly in their own eyes. They see their want, bewail their guilt, and thirst after a Redeemer. The kingdom of grace is of such; the kingdom of glory is for them.”

Obviously, no one desires material poverty, but this verse makes it clear that all of us should desire a spiritual poverty that recognizes the need for forgiveness, a savior and God’s continued presence in our lives.

To keep this article focused and brief, we will focus on the materially poor.

What the Scriptures Reveal about God and Poverty

There are many Scriptures that address the God’s heart for and perspective of the poor but I have selected just a few to help us draw a conclusion to the subject question:

1. Giving and helping the poor is core to God’s character: As it is written: “They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.” (2 Corinthians 9:9 NIV) Also, 1 Samuel 2:8 NIV shares, “He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap; he seats them with princes and has them inherit a throne of honor. “For the foundations of the earth are the Lord’s; on them he has set the world.”
  2. Jesus assumes we will be giving to the poor (notice not “if” but “when”): “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.” (Matthew 6:2 NIV)
  3. True followers of Christ gave to the poor: “But Zacchaeus stood up and said to the Lord, “Look, Lord! Here and now I give half of my possessions to the poor, and if I have cheated anybody out of anything, I will pay back four times the amount.” (Luke 19:8 NIV) Paul was eager to give as well: “All they asked was that we should continue to remember the poor, the very thing I had been eager to do all along.” (Galatians 2:10 NIV)
  4. When we give to the poor, we are giving to God: “Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will reward them for what they have done.” (Proverbs 19:17 NIV)
  5. When we give to the poor, it honors God: ”Whoever oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker,
    but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.” (Proverbs 14:31 NIV)
  6. The Israelites were commanded to provide for the poor and were blessed for their generosity: “At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.” (Deuteronomy 14:28-29 NIV)
  7. Not helping the poor was reason for judgment in the past: “ ‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy.” (Ezekiel 16:49 NIV)
  8. It will be a topic at the future judgment: “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’
    “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you?When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
    “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
    “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
    “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
    “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’
    “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.” (Matthew 25:34-46 NIV)

Specific Commands from Jesus and His Word

Here are three specific commands from Jesus and His Word. One to the rich young ruler wondering what his life lacked and the others to more general audiences of followers:

• “All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?” Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.” When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth. (Matthew 19:20-22 NIV)
  • Then Jesus said to his host, “When you give a luncheon or dinner, do not invite your friends, your brothers or sisters, your relatives, or your rich neighbors; if you do, they may invite you back and so you will be repaid. But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.” (Luke 14:12-14 NIV)
  • If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth. (1 John 3:17-18 NIV)

While the first is a specific command to an individual, the principles apply to all of Christ’s followers, which is that we must give generously to the poor, and that when we do, it’s an eternal investment. Luke 14:12-14 clearly shares Jesus’ heart toward the poor and needy and is a specific command to His followers to be intentional about reaching out and providing for them. The passage in 1 John is a clear warning to those who say they are Christ’s followers but the actions don’t align with their proclaimed faith. In this verse, we are compelled to provide for those in need.

How can we help the materially poor?

After just a brief review of Scripture it becomes very clear that we are commanded to help the poor. God demonstrates His heart for the poor and needy by His own example, through His promises for those who do, and through His perfect judgments for those who don’t. But how does one give to the poor effectively? Here are four suggestions:

1. Give strategically through a trusted ministry or foundation.

You can effectively give your time and talents to the poor by supporting a local rescue mission or community organization that is trusted and has a proven track record helping the poor and needy. Knowing how to choose the best charities is important. If your church has a direct ministry to the poor and needy, this is a great starting place!

2. Give strategically by giving more than money.

Effective long-term support of the poor and needy typically requires more than money. For the poor and needy who are mentally and physically able to recover, I encourage readers to plug in with respected and trusted ministries and community organizations to give by sharing practical skills, such as job/vocational skills, budgeting, and basic life skills that will effectively empower those in need for long-term recovery.

3. Give spontaneously and cheerfully.

I’m often asked, “Should I give to the beggar on the street corner?” Many are rightfully skeptical due to recent scandals of pan handlers who are not truly in need. My advice is to listen to the Holy Spirit. If you sense a burden or call to give, then give cheerfully and obediently. If you don’t, then don’t give. If your motive is pure, you will never regret a decision to give. Now this advice can only be successful if you are asking God and listening to Him.

4. Get equipped.

I recommend two books that will equip you with how to effectively help the poor. The first is When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor . . . and Yourself by Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert. A second resource is titled, Giving Wisely by Jonathan Martin.

How about you? Have you found an effective way to help the poor that would equip other readers? Share any lessons you learned as well!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Jon, I have had this topic on my heart for some time. My beliefs concerning the subject are vast and varied. The depth and weight behind the topic is far more reaching than a simple answer.

Gal 3:21 [is] the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

One of the problems we face as Christians is our endless efforts to write some sort of all encompassing law pertaining to being righteous in our deeds using a few scriptures, which for all intended purposes are law. We end up becoming lawyers and judges of the law in the process.

I find it to be as most other topics. We need a broad range of wisdom, knowledge and understanding in order to choose the actions that we need to take in any given situation and be righteous before God.

The poor having the gospel preached to them was a sign of the coming of the Messiah:

• Mat 11:5 The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them.
  • Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord [is] upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,

Why was the gospel not being preached to the poor prior to his coming?

And there is the matter of what it means to actually give to the poor. We can give them everything we have without actually loving them.
    1Cr 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed [the poor], and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

How does preaching the gospel to the poor affect them? Is it possible that it might change their status in life from poor to something else? I know that there are those who preach the prosperity gospel and I am not meaning that by any means but I do believe there is evidence that obedience to the gospel changes your material position in life. I found James to be most curious in this area.

• Jam 1:9 ¶ Let the brother of low degree rejoice in that he is exalted:
    • Jam 1:10 But the rich, in that he is made low: because as the flower of the grass he shall pass away.

If the lower is brought up and the higher down, it would seem that they would meet in the middle. I see middle class myself.

Jam 2:1 ¶ My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, [the Lord] of glory, with respect of persons.

Jam 2:2 For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment;

Jam 2:3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:

Jam 2:4 Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?

Jam 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?

Jam 2:6 But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats?

Jam 2:7 Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?

Jam 2:8 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:

Jam 2:9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.

The above passage has three participants. There are the poor, the rich and the ones James is writing too. Once again I see middle class.

Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

This promise from Jesus cannot be overlooked. Is one who has everything they need provided for them poor? What then is the best thing we can do for the poor? What has Jesus commanded of us? God is love. We are to love. Defining what that love looks like can be difficult sometimes but it is always going to be selfless in nature if it is divine. It is always going to seek the benefit of the one who is receiving it. There is a time for a handout. There is also a time for a hand up. For me to simply give my goods to the ones in need without addressing the reason they are in need is not loving them. While I have no desire to shame the poor, I do have a strong desire to help them out of the pit they have fallen into.

Peace is only in Christ.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

Question: "What does the Bible say about giving to the poor?"

Answer: In both the Old and New Testaments, we see God’s desire for His children to show compassion to the poor and needy. Jesus said that the poor would always be with us (Matthew 26:11; Mark 14:7). He also said that those who show mercy to the poor, the sick and the needy are in effect ministering to Him personally (Matthew 25:35-40) and will be rewarded accordingly.

There is no doubt that poverty’s reach is both widespread and devastating today. God’s people cannot be indifferent toward those in need, because His expectations for us in regard to taking care of His poor are woven throughout the entirety of Scripture. For example, look at the Lord’s words about the goodness of King Josiah in Jeremiah 22:16 “He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me, declares the LORD?” And Moses instructed his people how to treat the poor and needy: “Give generously to [them] and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the LORD your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to” (Deuteronomy 15:10).This sentiment is perfectly captured in Proverbs 14:31: “whoever is kind to the needy honors God.”

Conversely, there is another part to this verse: “He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker.” Proverbs is in fact filled with Scripture clearly showing that God loves the poor and is offended when His children neglect them (Proverbs 11:4,17:5, 19:17, 22:2, 9, 16, 22-23, 28:8, 29:7, 31:8-9). The consequences for ignoring the plight of the poor are also made clear in Proverbs: “If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered” (Proverbs 21:13). And note the strong language in Proverbs 28:27 “he who closes his eyes to [the poor] receives many curses.” Among the many sins of Sodom described in Genesis 19, her people were “arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy” (Ezekiel 16:49).

The New Testament is equally clear as to how we are to take care of the poor. One verse that nicely summarizes our expected altruism is found in the first epistle of John: “If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him? Dear children let us not love with words or tongue but with action and in truth” (1 John 3:17-18). Equally important is Matthew 25:31-46. Now, this judgment precedes Christ’s millennial reign and is often referred to as the “judgment of nations,” in which those assembled before Christ will be divided into two groups—the sheep on His right side and the goats on His left. Those on the left will be sent to the “eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels” (v. 41), whereas those on the right will receive their eternal inheritance (v.34). Noteworthy, however, is the language Christ used in addressing these separated groups. The sheep were basically commended for taking care of the poor, the sick, the imprisoned, and the vulnerable. The goats, on the other hand, were chastised for their lack of concern and action toward them. When the righteous asked Him when they did these things, Christ responded by saying “Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.”

Now, we are not to misconstrue this as meaning the good works of the sheep factored into their gaining salvation; rather, these good works were the “fruit” or evidence of their having been saved by grace (Ephesians 2:8-10), further evidencing that a commitment to Christ will indeed be accompanied with undeniable evidence of a transformed life. Remember, we were created to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do, and the “good works” Christ spoke of in Matthew 25 included taking care of the poor and suffering.

Now, with all of these scriptural truths in mind, we are to obey them and act on them, because “faith without works is dead” (James 2:26). As James stated “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says” (James 1:22). Similarly, John said “The man who says, ‘I know Him,’ but does not do what He commands is a liar and the truth is not in him…Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did” (1 John 2:4,6). And the words of Christ Himself: “If you love me, you will obey what I command” (John 14:15).

Jesus commanded us to love one another (John 13:34-35). And what better way to demonstrate the love and kindness and compassion of Jesus Christ than by reaching out to the “least of these” among us?

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/17/1971

Amen Bo peep :cowboy::sneaking:

Jon, I have had this topic on my heart for some time. My beliefs concerning the subject are vast and varied. The depth and weight behind the topic is far more reaching than a simple answer.

<snip>

God is love. We are to love. Defining what that love looks like can be difficult sometimes but it is always going to be selfless in nature if it is divine. It is always going to seek the benefit of the one who is receiving it. There is a time for a handout. There is also a time for a hand up. For me to simply give my goods to the ones in need without addressing the reason they are in need is not loving them. While I have no desire to shame the poor, I do have a strong desire to help them out of the pit they have fallen into.

Peace is only in Christ.

It is a topic that is near to my heart as well brother. :thumbsup: As a side I like your new profile pic.

I’ve actually read your post several times. I was going to respond to it last night but I thought I’d take more time make sure my heart was right and to really seek God on this matter.

First I do agree that we do take extraordinary efforts to justify our deeds often with very few Scriptures. I agree second that we do need God’s wisdom, knowledge, and understanding in any given situation. Third, I think you make a very valid point that it is possible to give to the poor without actually loving them (or having the right attitude/motivation).

I do not see the poor as less blessed than the rich. Understand that I believe the passages you reference in Matt. 11:5 and Luke 4:18 are those who are poor in spiritual standards. In the context of the passage I believe these were references to those who had a need for life as they were spiritually dead/poor. They were broke spiritually.

The idea that the rich were blessed and the poor were not is as old as human civilization. The Proverbs all speak to this idea. Yet Job clearly shows that sometimes bad things happen to “good” people. Also, sometimes God allows us to go through suffering (even financially yes) in order to get our attention or to make us more like Christ.

That said I do agree that if one follows Biblical principles success is more likely than if one were not to follow Biblical principles.

As far as classes go… I don’t know there are classes of people but people in certain categories in life in their walk with or without God. I would say there are several categories:

Rich spiritually and rich financially (or A, B)

Rich spiritually but poor financially (or A, C)

Poor spiritually and poor financially (or D, B)

Poor spiritually and rich financially (or D, E)

It is possible to be in one or more of these categories throughout our lives.

I have a desire to help people who are poor as well. I think what you said that there is a time for a handout and a time for a hand up is really key.

Your thoughts?

God bless,

Jon/GE

Question: "What does the Bible say about giving to the poor?"

<snip>

Now, we are not to misconstrue this as meaning the good works of the sheep factored into their gaining salvation; rather, these good works were the “fruit” or evidence of their having been saved by grace (Ephesians 2:8-10), further evidencing that a commitment to Christ will indeed be accompanied with undeniable evidence of a transformed life. Remember, we were created to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do, and the “good works” Christ spoke of in Matthew 25 included taking care of the poor and suffering.

Now, with all of these scriptural truths in mind, we are to obey them and act on them, because “faith without works is dead” (James 2:26). As James stated “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says” (James 1:22). Similarly, John said “The man who says, ‘I know Him,’ but does not do what He commands is a liar and the truth is not in him…Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did” (1 John 2:4,6). And the words of Christ Himself: “If you love me, you will obey what I command” (John 14:15).

Jesus commanded us to love one another (John 13:34-35). And what better way to demonstrate the love and kindness and compassion of Jesus Christ than by reaching out to the “least of these” among us?

Amen Bo peep :cowboy::sneaking:

I agree Red! Amen Bo :thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  186
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,228
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  30

I think it is important to note that the collections Paul took up for the poor was for the church in Jeruselem. We should always help poor and starving Christians, especially. Christ was full of compassion and we cannot help but be also if His Spirit dwells in us.

Our obligation should be first to our own household, if we have relatives in dire need. Our next obligation I would think would be to our family of believers. But we cannot pass by those we encounter with a need. It may be a person who has no coat in freezing weather and we have several. It may be a stranger in 100 degree weather who with his family has broken down beside the road without water or help. I still remember the family who rescued us in such a case when we blew a rod on the freeway in the middle of nowhere. We didn't have cell phones back then.

Of course we need to be listening to the Lord and not foolishly put ourselves in danger.

• Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Absolutely we are to care for the Poor.

It's not the Governments job either. It your's and mine. God places the onus on us!

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

<snip>

God is love. We are to love. Defining what that love looks like can be difficult sometimes but it is always going to be selfless in nature if it is divine. It is always going to seek the benefit of the one who is receiving it. There is a time for a handout. There is also a time for a hand up. For me to simply give my goods to the ones in need without addressing the reason they are in need is not loving them. While I have no desire to shame the poor, I do have a strong desire to help them out of the pit they have fallen into.

Peace is only in Christ.

It is a topic that is near to my heart as well brother. :thumbsup: As a side I like your new profile pic.

I’ve actually read your post several times. I was going to respond to it last night but I thought I’d take more time make sure my heart was right and to really seek God on this matter.

First I do agree that we do take extraordinary efforts to justify our deeds often with very few Scriptures. I agree second that we do need God’s wisdom, knowledge, and understanding in any given situation. Third, I think you make a very valid point that it is possible to give to the poor without actually loving them (or having the right attitude/motivation).

I do not see the poor as less blessed than the rich. Understand that I believe the passages you reference in Matt. 11:5 and Luke 4:18 are those who are poor in spiritual standards. In the context of the passage I believe these were references to those who had a need for life as they were spiritually dead/poor. They were broke spiritually.

The idea that the rich were blessed and the poor were not is as old as human civilization. The Proverbs all speak to this idea. Yet Job clearly shows that sometimes bad things happen to “good” people. Also, sometimes God allows us to go through suffering (even financially yes) in order to get our attention or to make us more like Christ.

That said I do agree that if one follows Biblical principles success is more likely than if one were not to follow Biblical principles.

As far as classes go… I don’t know there are classes of people but people in certain categories in life in their walk with or without God. I would say there are several categories:

Rich spiritually and rich financially (or A, B)

Rich spiritually but poor financially (or A, C)

Poor spiritually and poor financially (or D, B)

Poor spiritually and rich financially (or D, E)

It is possible to be in one or more of these categories throughout our lives.

I have a desire to help people who are poor as well. I think what you said that there is a time for a handout and a time for a hand up is really key.

Your thoughts?

God bless,

Jon/GE

To this we pretty much agree Jon.

As far as what I said about middle class or classes, I believe the word 'iniquity' covers the ground I am seeking to talk about. When taking the whole of scripture as it pertains to proper use of wealth and resources, I am convicted concerning the need for equality tempered with love and justice.

Since I believe in hypersovereignty where God is concerned, I believe that he governs my steps completely though I have freedom to choose. I believe he sets the choices before me knowing beforehand how I will choose. I am reminded of the rich man and Lazarus. When I first read scriptures saying things like 'give to all that ask of you', I balked because I could imagine all kinds of situations happening, going to extremes in my mind but the truth is that hardly anyone ever asks for anything.

I do believe in the evidence that suggests a single class is a natural outpouring of the true divine nature taking over in the life of believers. Consider Acts 2 & 4 or what Paul said to the Corinthians about he who gathered much had nothing over and he who gathered little had no lack.

The idea that the rich were blessed and the poor were not is as old as human civilization.

True. And we learn a lot in Job about easy come easy go, that there are no promises of financial security outside of our basic needs being met. Even Paul said he knew how to be abase as well as abound.

The plain truth of the matter comes down to understanding what righteousness is and how to be so when it comes to material possessions. Just as Jesus girded himself with a towel and gave them an example to live by we must consider his overall example.

2Cr 8:9 For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, that ye through his poverty might be rich.

Phl 2:5 ¶ Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

Phl 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

Phl 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

As Peter shared here, lust or desire is at the root of corruption in the world. Even Jesus said that one wouldn't be trusted with the true riches except they can be trusted with the unrighteous money of the world first.

So is it a command from Jesus to give to the poor? He said "Love one another as I have loved you." and he became poor so that we could become rich and inherit all things along with him. I'd say that is a yes.

Peace.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

christians are commanded to help one another but we are also called to help those who are less fortunate than we are.

proverbs 21:13 If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered.

john 3:17 If anyone has material possessions and sees his brother in need but has no pity on him, how can the love of God be in him.

job 29:12 I rescued the poor who cried for help, and the fatherless who had none to assist them