• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

Some religions, such as Southern Baptists, believe the drinking of any alcohol is a sin. Then some religions such as Catholics believe that drinking a little wine is actually good for the soul (There is a verse about that but my memory is shot). Then there are those that believe it is totally fine to drink as long as you don't lose control of yourself.

I used to drink heavily in previous years (hence the bad memory, it does kill the brain), but other than the verse that escapes me, what other verses comes to mind about this subject?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,478
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Birthday:  04/11/1972

Some religions, such as Southern Baptists, believe the drinking of any alcohol is a sin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They do ?

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

Its not "it is totally fine to drink as long as you don't lose control of yourself" it is not ok if you get drunk. And my personal opinion (not saying its the right one, but most likely is) is that you drink to get drunk, weather a little drunk or a lot drunk your still drunk and I believe that is a sin.

Ephesians 5:18

Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.

That means not drunk at all! Not a little not a lot no time at all are you to be drunk. And if you drink a can of beer you are going to be drunk, no matter weather a lot our a little.

People love to rationalize this verse away to fit there own life but that is wrong. This verse is in context just to let you all know.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,790
  • Content Per Day:  0.25
  • Birthday:  11/15/1968

Some religions, such as Southern Baptists, believe the drinking of any alcohol is a sin.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They do ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I grew up and went to school with Southern Baptists and this is what they taught me as being their beliefs. If not, then maybe for their own particular church.

Guest bobdamitch

yea, verily....Southern Baptists are neither heathen nor hedonists....

Some say that you can tell an Episcopal from a Southern Baptist because the Episcopal will speak to you coming out of the liquor store.

I am certain that many Southern Baptists have a cordial drink....but experience tells me that most do not because the overall effects of liquor is disasterous and is seen as being a poor representation of a Christian walk...."let your light shine among men"

I got thrown off the Crosswalk board because of my opposition to a Christian drinking liquor......not for what it is, but for what it leads to and for what it portends and demonstrates.

If a Christian wishes to drink, he has that liberty...but to be known as a sot ruins his testimony before men, and will ALWAYS be held to scorn by comparison by any one who may only see him as a hypocrite.

Southern Baptists, BTW...is the largest non catholic denomination....most are very strong against contributory societial uglys.....they may not know it all...but they try to follow the admonitions of the Christian walk.....and do not presume as some that alcohol is a blessing instead of a insturment that brings death and distruction to mankind....drugs and tobacco are in the same baliwick.....

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

As they say: Muslims don't recognize Jews as children of Abraham.

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Messiah.

Pentecostals don't recognize Jehovah's Witnesses as Christians.

Baptists don't recognize each other at Hooters!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  657
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  02/15/1959

Leonard you are so funnny! :thumbsup:

Anyways, 1 Timothy 3:3 says a bishop(pastor) not given to wine

1 Timothy 3:8 Deacons not given to much wine

1 Timothy 5:23 use a little wine for stomachs sake

Titus 2:3 older women not given to much wine

I thought it interesting that a pastor or shepherd of an assembly is forbidden any wine, but deacons, Elders, older women can have a little wine.

I dont think it is a sin to have an occassional glass of wine, but i do believe it should be done in moderation as the scriptures say, not given to "to much" of it.

Guest Christian Soldier
As they say:  Muslims don't recognize Jews as children of Abraham.

Jews don't recognize Jesus as the Messiah.

Pentecostals don't recognize Jehovah's Witnesses as Christians.

Baptists don't recognize each other at Hooters!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:thumbsup::rolleyes::o:emot-hug::) That is so TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They do ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I grew up and went to school with Southern Baptists and this is what they taught me as being their beliefs. If not, then maybe for their own particular church.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What was there stance on turning water into wine at weddiong parties.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  375
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  11,400
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Birthday:  08/14/1971

Some religions, such as Southern Baptists, believe the drinking of any alcohol is a sin.  Then some religions such as Catholics believe that drinking a little wine is actually good for the soul (There is a verse about that but my memory is shot).  Then there are those that believe it is totally fine to drink as long as you don't lose control of yourself.

I used to drink heavily in previous years (hence the bad memory, it does kill the brain), but other than the verse that escapes me, what other verses comes to mind about this subject?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Bilical teaching is pretty clear on things of this nature: All things in moderation. And if t offends your brother, don't do it.

Alcohol kills brain cells. A lot of alcohol kills a lot of brain cells. There are so many negative health affects associated with alcohol consumption it's not even funny. However, doctors say that red wine taken in moderation (A glass a day seems excessive to me, though) is actually good for the heart.

I don't drink because I can't drink. But even if I could drink, I wouldn't drink, because I did drink. Cryptic enough for you?