GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

The Beatitudes are not a means of securing the blessing of God, but of experiencing the blessing of God that is already ours in Christ.” ~ Kevin

See for reference: Matthew 5:1-12

Do you agree or disagree? What do you think about the beatitudes?

God bless,
GE

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

“The Beatitudes are not a means of securing the blessing of God, but of experiencing the blessing of God that is already ours in Christ.” ~ Kevin

God bless,

GE"

Can you elaborate what you mean by "securing the blessing of God" as opposed to what's already ours?

If it's already ours, isn't it secure through the Blood of Christ Jesus?

Edited by GoldenEagle

He is wanting to compare securing and experiencing blessings. I believe that the beatitudes are instructions on how to live as Christ lived, which is GOD's desire for us.

Edited by Parker1

“The Beatitudes are not a means of securing the blessing of God, but of experiencing the blessing of God that is already ours in Christ.” ~ Kevin

God bless,

GE

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree. One can't experience what is mentioned in the beatitudes without surrendering to Christ. Total surrender, not just simple belief. In order to receive the blessings, we have to walk the talk.

Who's Kevin? :)

Kevin is an acquaintance who wrote about the Beatitudes recently and got me thinking. Perhaps some context for Kevin's comment that intrigued me from the OP...

But what if the Beatitudes are far more straightforward than that? In fact, what if they aren’t about the earning of God’s favor at all? When Jesus spoke to this original audience on the mountain, he wasn’t creating a new religious manifesto for them—or us—to attain to. He wasn’t telling them—or us—how to earn points with God. Instead, what if Jesus is saying that in all these places and more—meekness, mourning, persecution, and all the rest—through him we can experience the Kingdom? It’s essential to grasp the gospel message that if a person is in Christ, they already have his favor and blessing. The blessing does not need to be elicited or engineered by maintaining the proper attitudes or circumstances. And if this is true, then the Beatitudes must not be about the earning of God’s favor, but about the experience of his Kingdom. Jesus is explaining the places where we can enjoy and experience the blessings of the Kingdom that are already ours in Christ.

Far from being a place of jaded do-goodism, the original audience of Jesus’ words would have been floored by this. Jesus is speaking on the fringe of Israel to the fringes of Judaism and the very people who would have been defined by the society as the not-blessed. Matthew 4:24 describes the very audience of this sermon as “all who were ill with various diseases, those suffering with severe pain, the demon-possessed, those having seizures, and the paralyzed.” These were people who knew instinctively to step out of the way when a good Jew came down the street, who knew not to make eye contact because of their condition or their disease, who didn’t hold the positions of power or the successful jobs.

From this milieu came a crowd of disciples; they were healed, gathered, and taught. If the Beatitudes don’t make sense to us, perhaps we need to scoot up into the crowd alongside these folks and listen to Jesus’ words like they would have heard them. “Jesus is saying we’re blessed! We who would never be ritually clean, we who wouldn’t be admitted to the temple, we who have had to go through the streets yelling ‘Unclean! Unclean!’—this new Rabbi is saying that we can experience the Kingdom. That we can be called blessed. That no one is beyond beatitude!” Jesus turned the culture’s kingdom-conceptions upside down with these words. In a culture (not unlike ours) where religious people assumed that virtuous lives would be marked by exterior successes, Jesus encouraged a mountainside full of have-nots with a radically different definition of blessedness: There’s hope for everyone! The Gospel of Christ provides a way for outsiders to be redefined as insiders.

Yes, the Beatitudes are qualities we’re called to pursue. Both the Old and New Testaments call us in many places to live meekly, to be peacemakers, to pursue a pureness of heart. But the beatitudinal nuance is this: I pursue these things not to secure the blessing of God, but to experience the nearness of the Kingdom. The more you pursue the Kingdom the more you’ll see these things in your life, and the more you see these things in your life, the more you’ll experience the Kingdom.

So Man I think in context the OP quote was in regards to Christ followers or Believers. :)

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  757
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/24/1957

Golden Eagle, I've always understood the "Beatitudes" to be instructions for us about how to live our lives...What to expect from this world and how to counter these things....and walk tall and strong as HIS children.....the eight beatitudes are...."Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they shall be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they shall inherit the earth.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they shall be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they shall obtain mercy.

Blessed are the pure of heart,
for they shall see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they shall be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

Gospel of St. Matthew 5:3-10 ...see instructions.....

Okay MissPlaced... But are they ways to earn God's favor or to experience God's love?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  757
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/24/1957

oooops, way's to experience GODS LOVE.....with out GODS LOVE none of these can come into play for any of us....

Guest ninhao

I think the Beatitudes are the evidences that a man IS blessed by God. None of them are reasons a man is blessed but the fruit of the blessing. imo

Mat 5:9  Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

We know to be a child of God comes from belief.

Joh 1:12  But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

i remember way back in my sunday school class we had to learn the Beatitudes and memorize each one (can't say I still remember each one these days) but I enjoyed learning about them and the one that stands out the most in my mind is the Blessed are the Pure in Heart for they shall see God. This one always means I will see God in every situation that I go thru in life.