IGNORED

Do You Have the Right Perspective on Money?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Do you agree or disagree with the article? Do you have the right perspective on money? What other lessons should we keep in mind?

God bless,

GE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do You Have the Right Perspective on Money?

by John Frainee on June 3, 2013

Money-Perspective.jpg

It’s important every once in a while to step back and look at how we think about money. Why do we want money? How valuable is money in the first place? Do we have the right perspective on money? How we answer these questions is more important than anything money can buy.

A. Why do you want money?

To answer the perspective question, it helps to understand why you want money. Why do you want money? Take a moment and answer this question. Come up with two or three answers. Here are some general answers you might come up with:

• Family purposes.
  • Giving purposes.
  • Self-preservation purposes.

Chances are, your answers to this question have to do with maintaining or enhancing your current situation. And that, leads me to my next question: Is money the only medium through which you can maintain or enhance your current situation? Of course not!

Money is simply one means to accomplish your goals, and there are many other ways to fulfill these purposes. For example, you’re probably not going to dramatically improve your long-term relationship with your spouse through money. Instead, you’re going to do so by taking time to spend together, to work through issues of contention, to show each other your love, and to grow stronger through intentional communication.

Likewise, giving money to a friend in need might result in them wasting the funds if they lack proper money management abilities. However, spending time to grieve with them when they’re grieving, having an open mind and heart when they’re frustrated, or simply giving them someone to interact with when they’re lonely can change their lives more than a million dollars ever could.

What about self-preservation? Money certainly helps there. But I’d argue that a good marriage, close family, or tight-knit community can help even more. Consider how the early church sustained themselves:

They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. All the believers were
together and had everything in common. They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved. – Acts 2:42-47 NIV

B. How valuable is money in the first place?

By now, you should have an acute sense that money can only buy so much. There are so many intangible things that can’t be bought with dollars and cents, it just boggles the mind. Nevertheless, money does have value, and Bible verses on money are numerous probably because it’s an important topic.

Money certainly helps us put food on the table, maintain shelter, and raise our standard of living. So understand that it is important, but it’s not everything.

I’m convinced how we handle and think about money provides tremendous insight into our hearts – who we truly are.

For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. – Matthew 6:21 NIV

In many ways, money is a test. It holds power on earth, but no heavenly power. While money is the primary way we live on earth, we also need God’s word to truly live on earth and beyond.

Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone.’” – Luke 4:4 NIV

C. Do you have the right perspective on money?

I can almost hear you having a conversation with yourself. Perhaps you’re telling yourself why you have the right perspective on money. Or maybe, you’re feeling a bit of conviction and are wondering how long you’ve been without the proper perspective. Whatever the case, if you’re having these internal struggles, that’s the first step.

The second step is to ask the Lord to reveal the truth to you. Ask the Lord to examine your life, to open the doors you’ve shut, and to point out where you could have put God above money. After all, you can’t serve both.

No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money. – Matthew 6:24 NIV

Don’t worship a bigger paycheck. Don’t worship your retirement account. Don’t even worship coupon clipping. In comparison to the everlasting, omnipotent, omnipresent God, money is nothing.

Yes, it’s important to make a budget, get out of debt, and build an emergency fund. But like everything else in life, manage money as a steward for God. This is the essence of the right perspective on money.

Do I have it all together? Do I spend money perfectly? Of course not – I’m human just like you. But that doesn’t mean we can’t become better stewards of the resources God has entrusted us with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  377
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

Jesus famously said: "Woe to you rich". He also said "Share what you have".

Sadly, the world's richest nation seem to have forgotten.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Jesus famously said: "Woe to you rich". He also said "Share what you have".

Sadly, the world's richest nation seem to have forgotten.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay Gandalf I understand what you're saying from a national/global perspective but what do you think about the article itself? What is your perspective on money?

Is there a proper balance between providing for your family, giving, budgetting, debt, and saving for a rainy day (e-fund)?

God bless,

GE