GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Was it to Believers, Unbelievers, or both?

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

What brought this up was this observation...

"Believers often try to ignore truths that the Bible clearly reveals. One ignored fact is that the New Testament Epistles were not written to the unconverted. There is not a single opening greeting in any Epistle addressed to the secular community."

Jim Croft

From: https://www.facebook.com/notes/jim-croft-ministries/no-need-to-plead-the-5th/594974907213040

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

The New Testament was given "to make us(that is you and me)wise unto Salvation 2Timothy 3:15

Both believers and unbelivers.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

Luke 1:1-4

1)  Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us.

2)  Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;

3)  It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things form the very first, to the write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus.

4)  That thou mightiest know the certainty of those things, wherein thous hast been instructed.

Some scholars believe that Theophilus was an actual person, while many others also believe that Theophilus was actually Luke way of writing to the Believers in Christ; because Theo is Greek for God, while Philus means dear to or friend and if I understand right is also closely related to love.  So IMO Luke states that the New Testament was written to us the Friends of God, John 15:11-15.

For by the Bible we as Christians grow, I Peter 2:2; and learn of the truth of our eternal life, I John 5:11-13; John 20:30-31.  This is the promise message of the Covenant, for at the Lord Jesus Christ first coming He appeared in the Temple, Malachi 3:1.

The Bible especially the NT is God's love letter to us.

Edited by 19Duggarfan

Guest Butero

The individual books had a specific target audience.  As you already said GE, the epistles were written to Christian churches that existed at the time.  At the same time, God gave mankind the finished Bible, so I would say God gave it to all of mankind, saved and unsaved.  To the saved, it is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our pathway.  To the unsaved, it serves as a warning of the judgment that awaits them if they don't turn to Christ. 

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2

In Matthew - Jesus Christ is presented as the Messiah, and it's focus is what He said to the Jews.

it ends with His Resurrection.

In Mark - Jesus Christ is presented as a Servant, and its focus is what He did for the Romans.

it ends with His Ascension.

In Luke - Jesus Christ is presented as the Son of Man, and its focus is what He felt for the Greeks.

it ends with the Promise of the Spirit (Acts).

In John - Jesus Christ is presented as the Son of God, and its focus is what He is to the Church.

it ends with the Promise of His Return.

Romans through Philemon are written specifically for the "Gentile" Church, although we know there is no longer Jew nor Gentile in Christ.

Hebrews declares that while God spoke through the prophets of old, He has now spoken through His Son.

it affirms the preeminence of Christ, and emphasizes faith and zeal to enter into that eternal rest of God.

1st Peter was written to mostly Gentile Christians in Asia Minor to encourage joy through the coming persecution.

2nd Peter speaks to truth in the face of falsehood. it warns against false teachers, and declares Christ's 2nd coming as a future reality.

1st John was written to Christians facing Gnostic heresies.  it emphasizes Christian doctrine.

2nd John warns against fellowship with unbelievers.

3rd John commends Christian hospitality.  give as you have freely been given.

Jude warns of those Christians who undermine and destroy the body by misconduct and immoral character.

Revelation reveals the person of Jesus Christ as Redeemer of the world, and Conqueror of evil.

God bless

Was it to Believers, Unbelievers, or both?

~

To Me First

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works. 2 Timothy 3:16-17

And Than To The Rest Of You'll

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. Psalms 119:11

Just Kidding.... Sort Of :)

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  93
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  1

2 Timothy 3:17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.