IGNORED

Must Godly Believers Give Up All Fun And Follow A List Of Rules For Th

Must Godly Believers Give Up All Fun And Follow A List Of Rules For The Rest Of Their Lives?

A Short Question Taken From A List Found On About.com Christianity..
This Is Intended For Both The Believer And The Seeker Alike. Believer's Bible Input Is Welcome.
Any Sincere Expression And Question From Seekers Should Be (Prayerfully) Salted With Truth And With Love.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.97
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Must Godly Believers Give Up All Fun?

Of course not. Christians are engaged in a lot of activities that are fun. But I guess the questioner needs to clarify "fun".

If by "fun" they mean getting drunk and engaging in orgies, they may find that the Lord's presence gives greater joy without the hangover, and that giving one's body to someone they've been bonded to in the heart and soul first is much more fulfilling.

But if fun is reading a book, hiking, shopping with friends, having cook-outs, motorcycle riding, skiing, watching movies, etc., then one should be happy to know that we Christians do these various things as well.

And Follow A List Of Rules For The Rest Of Their Lives?

We all follow rules. Our parents gave us rules as  children we had to follow; our schools gave us rules we had to follow, our government gives us rules we have to follow, our boss and place of employment give us rules we have to follow.

As Christians, we are given rules, but we've screwed this up big time. Our rules are to love God and to love our neighbor. Sadly, we teach each other how to focus more on the sin of others rather than how to love others. We define holiness by what sin we don't do rather than what love we do.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

We as Christians are called to be salt and light of this world Mathew5:13-24.In the  analogy of light to the world,the good workds of Christ's followers are to shine for all to see.

Like salt believers are preservatives to the world,preserving it from evil.The difference between the Christian must be preserved;any choice on our part that blurs us to the world is a step in the wrong direction.

So it depends on what you are calling "fun".Is it worth it to follow this world and go in the wrong direction or follow Christ?Is having "fun" living a sinful life while calling ourselves Christians?I think our rewards are going to show what path we chose.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

God only wants us to give up things that are harmful to our spiritual or physical lives.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

I found out I could be long winded and I apologize...so short and to the point this time...Just a word...I love this Q & A...I've studied more than I ever have...Love ya'll In Him...

Whew...Where The Spirit of The Lord is: ok looking up the verse...Hahaha...And there aren't many rules In Real Love...don't need them...

2 Cor. 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty...

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I have never had more fun in my life than since I was saved. I do most everything I did before I was saved, except I gave up swearing, drinking to excess at times, smoking (a bit later admittedly), talking trash, and all the other "fun" stuff that non believers would have us believe restricts our abilities to have fun. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,673
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I don't think so. Even Jesus went to a wedding for no other reason then to go. I think, though, that while God allows us to go out and have fun-but He also expects us to glorify Him with everything that we do-whether it be having a BBQ at a friends house, shooting clay pigeons at the range, or a nice weekend of fishing we should let His love shine through-we should invite Christ to come have fun with us. :D

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  593
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  55,868
  • Content Per Day:  7.55
  • Days Won:  271

I don't think so. Even Jesus went to a wedding for no other reason then to go. I think, though, that while God allows us to go out and have fun-but He also expects us to glorify Him with everything that we do-whether it be having a BBQ at a friends house, shooting clay pigeons at the range, or a nice weekend of fishing we should let His love shine through-we should invite Christ to come have fun with us. :D

Yeah,  what patriot said...

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.26
  • Days Won:  115

I surely hope not ... :)  I will agree that what we consider "fun" changes to some degree.  I still like climbing and mtn. biking, but the joy I get is different than what it once was.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  1.00
  • Days Won:  0

There's joy, for me, in being free from the things of the world (heavy drinking, partying, etc.). I don't think we ever really consider the physical and emotional toll that a lot of the things the world considers "fun" takes on us until we're free of it.