IGNORED

Are Missionaries And Ministers More Spiritual Than Other Believers?

Are Missionaries And Ministers More Spiritual Than Other Believers?

A Short Question Taken From A List Found On About.com Christianity..
This Is Intended For Both The Believer And The Seeker Alike. Believer's Bible Input Is Welcome.
Any Sincere Expression And Question From Seekers Should Be (Prayerfully) Salted With Truth And With Love.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

No they are human just like everyone else.They should not put themselves on a pedestal.God would not want that.Jesus did not exalt Himself.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  115
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  8,281
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/30/1955

Paul said those who teach are held to a higher standard.  We don't always succeed at that, and 'greater is our judgment.'

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

No, buy God has given them certain gifts that they should be using. Not all are called to be teachers or missionaries

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/11/1950

many are called, but few are chosen.  I think of the young man who approached Christ--"what shall I do to inherit eternal life?"  Christ asked if the young man had kept the Law.  The young man said he had kept it since his youth.  Christ said to go and sell all that he had and give to the poor--the young man left, grieved, because he was quite wealthy...somewhere I read that Christ loved the young man....I think the young man was called, but not chosen.  I think it is that way in life.....

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,875
  • Content Per Day:  0.71
  • Days Won:  9

I do not believe that pastors or missionaries are more spiritual. Each believer has received the same spirit. Each has received a calling. Each has received a gift.  

Pastors and missionaries are the more visible gifts and callings. If Pastors and missionaries have an advantage, it is that more people tend to approach them with questions. In answering a question, research is needed and hopefully learning from the Holy Spirit, so the ministry itself causes the opportunity to learn as many people will ask questions or seek advice. And answering many questions, many being repeats from varying people, the best way of explaining the answer is eventually learned. But learning is not necessarily spirituality.

Another aspect of the calling of pastor and missionary is that people will challenge both, as visible ministries so both hopefully learn to deal with opposition. Because of this opposition, there is the opportunity to learn to deal with opposition. Missionaries moreso then pastors. Being in a visible ministry, it doesn't take long to realize when a pastor or missionary has not yet learned to deal with opposition.

Are those in leadership judged more by God. In a way, yes. While each person will be judged for their own sins, leaderships sins have a much wider effect on others. A bad leader can negatively influence a large number of people. So, the judgement is more because leaders have the possibility of hurting far more people. The OT shows the effect of bad leaders on the people).

But does all of this make Pastors and Missionaries more spiritual? By appearance maybe. One of the most influential and spiritual people I knew was a person with the gift of helps. They helped hundreds and thousands of people, and while helping they also talked about Jesus. As they would fix someones car or help in other ways, they would discuss Jesus, answer questions, share the gospel, discuss problems the person was having, encourage them, etc. When this person passed away, they had one of the largest funerals and at the funeral, people gave testimonies of how their lives were influenced by him. The funeral was so large, not all of the people could fit in one of the bigger churches in the area. Having the gift of helps is a humble position, and this person was humble. Nothing was beneath them. This person was ready to assist, and always talking about Jesus, the scripture, always helping others to follow the Lord to their calling while helping in more physical ways, following the leading of the Holy Spirit . I think everyone was surprised at the funeral by the wide spread service to so many this person actually did. And the positive influence for the Kingdom this person actually had, since his was not a visible ministry.

I have also known a missionary who was engaged in an international ministry, as a head of a missions agency. Strangely this very visible person was also very humble. Always ready to help. Always talking about Jesus and scripture. This person caused many to their calling. Again, at their funeral, the number of people attending could not be contained in a church. The attendees were more well known. More people were aware of some of the things this missionary had done, but the testimonies contained many surprises too.

Both of these people dedicated themselves to living for the Lord. Both were equally spiritual in my opinion, and both reached out to and helped many people.

What is being spiritual? It isn't knowledge as the person with the gift of helps was not highly knowledgable, but he was dedicated to following the Lord, listening to the Spirit, which led him to grow in the fruit of the spirit, risk his own discomfort in service to the Lord, humble and willing to learn. The missionary was knowledgable, while the person with the gifts of helps was not, but both were spiritual. One no more spiritual then the other.