IGNORED

Should A Christian Never Associate With Unbelievers?

Should A Christian Never Associate With Unbelievers?

A Short Question Taken From A List Found On About.com Christianity..

This Is Intended For Both The Believer And The Seeker Alike. Believer's Bible Input Is Welcome.

Any Sincere Expression And Question From Seekers Should Be (Prayerfully) Salted With Truth And With Love

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

A Christian should not be unequally yoke to unbelievers, II Corinthians 6:14.   But we should have some interaction with them, so that we can be lights in the world, Matthew 5:14-16; Philippians 2:15.

Guest ninhao

Joh 3:14-16  Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the wilderness, so the Son of Man must be lifted up,  (15)  that everyone who believes may have eternal life in him."  (16)  For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,220
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  03/18/1966

Yes, a Christian should always associate with Unbelievers.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  377
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  1

Unless called to a monastic lifestyle, a Christian should associate with unbelievers, as Jesus did, but his/her life should try to avoid revolving around unbelievers.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Unless called to a monastic lifestyle, a Christian should associate with unbelievers, as Jesus did, but his/her life should try to avoid revolving around unbelievers.

I agree.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  142
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/17/1971

I used to think no.however I learn that if we don't,then how are we to show the light? How are they to know of Jesus if we are shunning them when we weren't shunned for us to get saved? if we never had others to witness or see their actions then we would of lost out on Gods giftso yes we can and should we can be in the world yet not be of it

I suspect that at the root of the question, is the concern that an unbeleiver might be a bad influence. Of course this can be true. Each Christian needs to exercise caution and  common sense, estimating the likelyhood of such risks, based on the type of person he/she associates with, and the likelyhood that the beleive can be swayed, each case is different. If one is the type who is easilyinfluenced or tend to go along with the crowd, or is subject to peer pressure, then such a person needs to consider their circumstances carefully and prayerfully.

One of the biggest issues here, can be in the area of dating. Some beleivers put themselves at risk, thinking that they want to be a good influence in th life of a potential or actual, girlfriend or boyfriend, or even  a fiance. This usually results in grief. Missionary dating is tempting to some, they optimistically hope to be the influence, but more often than not I think, it goes the other way. The non-Christian can just as likely also hope to when the Christian over to a less holy lifestyle. If you want to be an influence in the life of one of the opposite gender, it is far safer to solicite someone of the same gender as the one you want to help.

As to the original question, Paul talks about this in 1 Cor 5:

9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people- 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

Notice that Paul here, points out that it is impossible to avoid immoral people, unless you leave the planet. Notice also, that he advocates not associating with Christians who are not acting as Christians should.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I absolutely agree, gandalph.  How can we spread the gospel if we don't?  Although, personally, I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea.  I couldn't be a close friend to a nonbeliever. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I believe that we can have casual friendships with unbelivers but it would be difficult to have an unbeliever for a best friend .You would not have the most important thing in your life which is Jesus Christ in common.I do not think you should take advise from a nonbeliever.Alot of times their advise is going to be secular.Although we should treat unbelievers with kindness like we would our christian friends.