IGNORED

Immodesty and Lust - From a Man's Perspective

GoldenEagle

People are human beings...not lust objects but even more, the attitude that somehow condemns someone that does not dress like YOU (meaning an individual) personally think they should,

or perhaps like YOU personally dress, is not good either.

Some women really do not ask for attention but they get it anyway.  They become the hate objects of other women....sometimes Christian women....and that says plenty about

attitudes that need to be dealt with and I am not convinced that quite a bit of holy righteousness that some people exhibit is not actually their own hang ups.

Jesus dealt kindly with the woman at the well.  I'm not sure that woman would be treated kindly by someone who believes their morals are better than everyone elses.

I guess I should add that I am in a agreement with the biblical admonition lest I be misunderstood.

We really don't know what others are thinking, so basing our judgement on outward appearance only is easy to do but even the world sings "walk a mile in my shoes"

I think we need to be careful about certain attitudes...or we might end up saving the best seats in church for the very rich folk .  I do know that Jesus caused everyone to walk

away from the woman caught in adultery and then when everyone had gone, He forgave her.  

It seems both genders are participants in this thread and while some of are shocked and indignant by certain things...both men and women from the responses it seems....God

sees every heart and we really don't know what the person beside us that we can't stand the sight of and have passed judgement on (I know I've done that) might be struggling with.

There are ways to deal with improper dress in church that does not have to include throwing stones and passing judgement because we think we are better.  Without doubt, the

Bible is very clear on how to not only dress, but also how to treat others and what kind of judgement is actually correct.  We are not told to judge someone by how they dress...

only that people should dress modestly.  I don't think an unsaved person should be held to the same measuring stick nor looked down upon...it is what it is.

IMO, gossip and backbiting are far worse sins than a low cut blouse. (mind you, I have never seen dress or attire in a list of sins in the Bible...attitudes seem to be there though) It destroys lives and reputations.....I am well aware of what is in the world and how people behave.  We are only responsible for our own personal behavior.  As corny as this may sound, praying for the person who irks you is a good medicine....it changes your own heart and may just give opportunity to witness.

That's all

That is a really good post.     :hurrah:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

People are human beings...not lust objects but even more, the attitude that somehow condemns someone that does not dress like YOU (meaning an individual) personally think they should, or perhaps like YOU personally dress, is not good either.

Some women really do not ask for attention but they get it anyway.  They become the hate objects of other women....sometimes Christian women....and that says plenty about attitudes that need to be dealt with and I am not convinced that quite a bit of holy righteousness that some people exhibit is not actually their own hang ups.

Jesus dealt kindly with the woman at the well.  I'm not sure that woman would be treated kindly by someone who believes their morals are better than everyone elses.

I guess I should add that I am in a agreement with the biblical admonition lest I be misunderstood.

We really don't know what others are thinking, so basing our judgement on outward appearance only is easy to do but even the world sings "walk a mile in my shoes"

I think we need to be careful about certain attitudes...or we might end up saving the best seats in church for the very rich folk .  I do know that Jesus caused everyone to walk away from the woman caught in adultery and then when everyone had gone, He forgave her.  

It seems both genders are participants in this thread and while some of are shocked and indignant by certain things...both men and women from the responses it seems....God sees every heart and we really don't know what the person beside us that we can't stand the sight of and have passed judgement on (I know I've done that) might be struggling with.

There are ways to deal with improper dress in church that does not have to include throwing stones and passing judgement because we think we are better.  Without doubt, the Bible is very clear on how to not only dress, but also how to treat others and what kind of judgement is actually correct.  We are not told to judge someone by how they dress... only that people should dress modestly.  I don't think an unsaved person should be held to the same measuring stick nor looked down upon...it is what it is.

IMO, gossip and backbiting are far worse sins than a low cut blouse. (mind you, I have never seen dress or attire in a list of sins in the Bible...attitudes seem to be there though) It destroys lives and reputations.....I am well aware of what is in the world and how people behave.  We are only responsible for our own personal behavior.  As corny as this may sound, praying for the person who irks you is a good medicine....it changes your own heart and may just give opportunity to witness.

That's all

That is a really good post.     :hurrah:

I agree! :thumbsup:

:hurrah: x 2

There are ways to deal with improper dress in church that does not have to include throwing stones and passing judgement because we think we are better.  Without doubt, the

Bible is very clear on how to not only dress, but also how to treat others and what kind of judgement is actually correct.  We are not told to judge someone by how they dress...

only that people should dress modestly.  I don't think an unsaved person should be held to the same measuring stick nor looked down upon...it is what it is.

Again Seven great post. I'd like to address in particular this section.

Why is it that sometimes we as Christians want to hold non-Christians to Biblical standards that mean nothing to them?

Why do we often expect lost people to act saved? <sigh>

God bless,

GE

Guest ninhao

Again Seven great post. I'd like to address in particular this section.

Why is it that sometimes we as Christians want to hold non-Christians to Biblical standards that mean nothing to them?

Why do we often expect lost people to act saved? <sigh>

God bless,

GE

It pride of self. imo

People are human beings...not lust objects but even more, the attitude that somehow condemns someone that does not dress like YOU (meaning an individual) personally think they should, or perhaps like YOU personally dress, is not good either.

Some women really do not ask for attention but they get it anyway.  They become the hate objects of other women....sometimes Christian women....and that says plenty about attitudes that need to be dealt with and I am not convinced that quite a bit of holy righteousness that some people exhibit is not actually their own hang ups.

Yes I agree. People are human beings. Some women (due to their body types) get attention even if they're covered from head to toe.

One friend said... "I know girls who could dress in potato sacks and still get the droolly stares"

Sometimes I agree and I think people who have issues with modesty (especially in others) are often jealous of how a particular woman looks or the attention said woman receives from men.

Thougths?

God bless

GE

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Sometimes I agree and I think people who have issues with modesty (especially in others) are often jealous of how a particular woman looks or the attention said woman receives from men.

Girls who dress in a way to get attention from men (proactively) do so out of insecurity - that is, that's the only way they believe they can be loved and accepted. Or the attention builds up their self-esteem.

While I won't deny a jealousy issue on the attention spectrum, oddly the biggest issue is that women feel inferior if they are not as "attractive" as the immodestly dressed women. Girls tend to dress for girls (comparison) rather than for guys, believe it or not.

Guest ninhao

Girls who dress in a way to get attention from men (proactively) do so out of insecurity - that is, that's the only way they believe they can be loved and accepted. Or the attention builds up their self-esteem.

While I won't deny a jealousy issue on the attention spectrum, oddly the biggest issue is that women feel inferior if they are not as "attractive" as the immodestly dressed women. Girls tend to dress for girls (comparison) rather than for guys, believe it or not.

This has been programmed into women ( and men ) for many years through advertising and promotion of ideal shape and form to become successful and attractive. 

As to the quote I was speaking of girls/women who dress modestly (or at least attempt to) but are curvy Neb... :thumbsup:

As to girls tend to dress up for girls (comparing, etc.) Lol. Yes I know... It's strange but I've notice that too.

What about wearing swimwear?

Curious.

God bless,

GE

Well, if this seem to restrictive:

article-0-002124871000044C-562_468x296.j

There is always the ever so revealing, modern Burkini:

burkini2.jpg

Although personally, I think she shows too much skin around her feet.

Of course, there was a time when men had a sense of modesty too,

for those who feel convicted, these are still available.

image_20556.jpg

I pretty much agree with all the thoughts here, that the men (or women)

lusting, have the responsibility to work on that issue. As is said, the problem

is in the heart. That however, might be a reason why it is even more important

that the woman take the situation into her own hands, on decision that takes

a moment in the morning (what will I wear) and she is good all day. The guy,

if he is to make a simple decision like that, he has to decide not to go outside

or else keep his eyes closed all day. What the woman (or immodest person

of either gender) has to do to overcome their heart condition, is overcome it

with a garment decision, the 'luster', has to guard the heart all day long.

Love is the key for both, a loving Christian will not tempt others, nor gawk at others.

I personally have no issue with nursing in public - with or without a shawl. :thumbsup:

Here's some interesting facts..

It's legal to breastfeed in all 50 states of the Union. Forty-five states, the District of Columbia and the Virgin Islands have laws that specifically allow women to breastfeed in any public or private location.

For more see: http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/breastfeeding-state-laws.aspx

For reference where I grew up in Brazil breastfeeding in public without a shawl. So for me it may simply be a cultural thing.

In order not to derail this thread and I think breasfeeding is a pertinent subject deserving it's own thread see here: