GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

There are ways to deal with improper dress in church that does not have to include throwing stones and passing judgement because we think we are better.  Without doubt, the

Bible is very clear on how to not only dress, but also how to treat others and what kind of judgement is actually correct.  We are not told to judge someone by how they dress...

only that people should dress modestly.  I don't think an unsaved person should be held to the same measuring stick nor looked down upon...it is what it is.

Again Seven great post. I'd like to address in particular this section.

Why is it that sometimes we as Christians want to hold non-Christians to Biblical standards that mean nothing to them?

Why do we often expect lost people to act saved? <sigh>

God bless,

GE

Thanks GE!

Personally, I don't expect the world to behave like a Christian.  But, I do expect Christians to act as such in the world and there was a time I certainly did not.  I believe what scripture states regarding the

god of this world blinding the eyes of unbelievers and have also taken to heart all the other warnings about knowing the devil's devices...how he sows discord, strife, rumors and gossip...but he

does need some human help to do that...so that would be where we, as Christians, acknowledge our own susceptibility and understand that if we know anything at all, it is only through the grace of

God and the sacrifice of His Son.

Ultimately, we all end up in the same place without the 'light of the glorious gospel' as Paul puts it.  I find that humbling.  Having grown up in church, I was definitely 'churched'...if you know what I mean

but so much of the NT was not really touched upon.  The emphasis was on salvation (which of course is wonderful) but you need more when you go out into the world.  I still think it was a great church

to grow up in though.

I think that (perhaps) some of the tendency to judge the world instead of our own selves, has several sources.

One is fear.  Another is self righteousness.  A third is the feeling or thought that the world is not a good place for Christians so please...the world....change your behavior.  I am sure there are a number of

other reasons as well as we are all individuals and what upsets one, may mean nothing to another.

I won't break the above down, but maybe just leave it for consideration and or others to comment on.  I think it's a good idea to examine why we do what we do.  We are still human and being a Christian does

not give licence to condemn, judge and look down on others.  And of course I have done all those things but thankfully, much less of it now.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

What about wearing swimwear?

Curious.

God bless,

GE

Well, if this seem to restrictive:

article-0-002124871000044C-562_468x296.j

There is always the ever so revealing, modern Burkini:

burkini2.jpg

Although personally, I think she shows too much skin around her feet.

Of course, there was a time when men had a sense of modesty too,

for those who feel convicted, these are still available.

image_20556.jpg

I pretty much agree with all the thoughts here, that the men (or women)

lusting, have the responsibility to work on that issue. As is said, the problem

is in the heart. That however, might be a reason why it is even more important

that the woman take the situation into her own hands, on decision that takes

a moment in the morning (what will I wear) and she is good all day. The guy,

if he is to make a simple decision like that, he has to decide not to go outside

or else keep his eyes closed all day. What the woman (or immodest person

of either gender) has to do to overcome their heart condition, is overcome it

with a garment decision, the 'luster', has to guard the heart all day long.

Love is the key for both, a loving Christian will not tempt others, nor gawk at others.

Omegaman,You are being sarcastic.That does not look good on a Christian.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

You know, I find it interesting that a thread meant to focus on dealing with lust has turned into a thread dealing with how women dress.

I agree.  Although to be fair, there have been a few attempts to round it out.  Focusing on externals is a way of avoiding internals.  I don't mean that personally to you Nebula.

You know, I find it interesting that a thread meant to focus on dealing with lust has turned into a thread dealing with how women dress.

It's called passing the buck. 

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I am very,very disappointed on where this thread has gone.Obviously I am not on the same page as many of you regarding the dress of women today.I will not reply to any more posts. :(

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I am very,very disappointed on where this thread has gone.Obviously I am not on the same page as many of you regarding the dress of women today.I will not reply to any more posts. :(

Why do you believe we are on a different page?

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Women in the middle east wear burkas and still get raped...and blamed for it. Then we have the church telling women to be 'hot' for your husband!!! But when we try to do that we are told we aren't being modest....so what are we supposed to do? It's ridiculous really.

Hi Lyn

Good point.  But they say rape is actually a crime of violence against women.  I guess the woman who is raped doesn't wonder so much about distinctions though.

I bust out laughing when I read your comment re the church telling women to be hot for their husbands.  It just built a funny picture in my mind

I agree...some of it really is ridiculous.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  904
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,642
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Um...

Not that I care about being politically incorrect...

But I got beat up pretty good in Church when a Jeri Ryan look-alike mistook my gawking at the uncanny resemblance.

Women tend to band together when there is a rogue male about...

And frankly I am tired of men getting the brunt of the blame even when a woman admits showing a bit too much...

Tell you what, remove males from the equation for a moment. Female to female... put an older female in with a younger one and listen in...

"You are wearing something a bit revealing, deary." The older flight attendant says to the free spirited airline passenger. "I am going to have to ask you to wear a blanket on your lap or leave the plane."

The young woman refuses and is removed from the Southwest Airlines plane and the media has a field day with this.

The flight attendant was correct about the immodesty. Otherwise the matter would have never gotten past the air plane's navigator (second in command). 

The problem was...

Back when the older flight attendants first started flying Southwest Airlines, they wore hot pants and go go boots. 

The issue that was made of it was not how much skin is too much? or clothing too little?

The issue here was no moral higher ground.

I am thankful for the WOMEN in the church who see to letting the freer spirited young ladies to keep it under wraps in the Church for the guys' sakes and for keeping the focus on the Lord and not them...

So YES there is a lust problem that men and especially me needs to repent from... but ladies PLEASE in CHURCH can we not try to titivate for the love of God? For an couple hours? Hmm? 

Is this really so much to ask?