IGNORED

What do you think about breastfeeding? Cover or no cover?

GoldenEagle

Guest ninhao

Thanks for the clarificaiton. I think education is important. :)

So I take it your from Australia brother? What do Christians think about breastfeeding where you live? What about non-Christians?

God bless,

GE

People in Australia ( both Christian and secular ) think similar to the comments on this thread. Opinions are divided and it is connected with discrimination against women. ( In the case of breast feeding it is also discrimination against babies imo ) Before I made a decision on the merits of the public breast feeding debate I investigated the benefits to the baby and mother and weighed this against any offence/temptation I may face from seeing this. The case for the pro won. 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

I really think you have no intention with comments like this other than provoking me into a fight or anger. By your logic, there is nothing in the New testament says we should wear clothes, so women should just walk around naked, and if someone gets offended, then oh well, it's there problem. Common sense says a exposed breast will lead most men to think sexual thoughts. Therefore any Christian woman who acts on her God given right to breastfeed should do so in a way she is not putting herself or her breasts on public display. She should do it in all modesty and humbleness of mind. Remembering those brothers and sisters in Christ who are weaker. Not making a display or show, but meeting the needs of the child in a Christ like mind.

I have no desire to make anyone angry, I am just pointing out that words have meanings.  you stated there are no exemptions to the "don't cause one to stumble" rule.  It seems we both agree there is a limit to how far we are expected to take this, even if the Bible does not list exemptions.

As you pointed out, 99% of men find the breast to be sexual, whether it is covered or not.  Men that struggle with the sin of lust, as you have used in your example, do not need a breast to be bare to lust.  Sadly as one that has struggled with this sin for 35 years, I speak from experience.   I used the example in my last post about a turtle neck sweater.  I used this by design as there was a woman at a church I attended many years ago that wore such a sweater and it did cause me to lust.  Should she have been told not to wear the sweater?  Of course not, she was not trying to make me stumble, and in fact she was not, it was my issue, not hers

I do not feel a nursing mother and her child should be put out because men cannot control their thoughts.  I disagree with you that the intent of the woman does not matter, a woman just wanting to tend to her baby should is very different than a woman wearing tight or revealing clothing.

And I agree that a woman should not just bare all for the world to see, but she can be discrete and still not make her child suffer by having to nurse covered and blocked from the view of the mother.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

I'd like to present two very different articles to help contribute to this discussion...

Breastfeeding in Public: Why this Mama Believes in Covering Up

http://www.weedemandreap.com/2013/08/breastfeeding-in-public-why-this-mama.html

Breastfeeding and Following Jesus- Uninviting “Modesty” to the Breastfeeding Discussion

http://theleakyboob.com/2013/07/breastfeeding-and-following-jesus-uninviting-modesty-to-the-breastfeeding-discussion/

• Topic Count:  66
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  6,363
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  9

I think whether it was 20 years ago or 10 months ago... usually, a mom can plan around outings or work... breast pumps, etc.  I am glad you are not offended by women breastfeeding babies.  I'm not offended either.  I try not to deliberately make other people feel uncomfortable and that said, I never had an issue going to a private area when necessary out in public or when out visiting to nurse the kids.  Sorry for any confusion or distress - I haven't been on the forum for a long, long time.  I forgot how controversial everything becomes here.  Have a blessed day.

For clarification I'm not trying to point fingers or anything.

When we had our first child my wife wasn't treated properly I thought by those around her. Breastfeeding especially amongst more conservative people or older generations is seen as an inconvenience. Perhaps because in the 1950's to the 1980's there was such a big push for the whole bottle/formula thing? :noidea:

In any case at least in part due to her not feeling comfortable with breastfeeding, our son being super squirmy, etc. she stopped nursing him around 8 months old. She would've liked to go longer but the baby was too squirmy and people IMO were too insensitive to her as a nursing mother. We're pregnant with our second child now and I'm going to encourage her to put the needs of our child before the discomfort in particular of total strangers. Perhaps this sheds some light on my frustration?

Sorry if I hurt your feelings it wasn't my intention sister. :(

Please forgive me?

God bless,

GE

You have not hurt my feelings... No need for an apology.  I'm surrounded on a daily basis by women nursing children and have never seen anything I found shocking or inappropriate.  I nursed my children and my daughter nursed our grandchild for almost a year - she worked a full-time job and had privacy to pump her breasts and freeze the milk...  I think women who wish to do so, should be given the opportunity, education (it is somewhat of an art) and support to provide this nourishment for their babies.  I was more comfortable in a more private setting and any woman who nurses will tell you that if you aren't comfortable, the baby will not be either.  I'm impressed with some of the airports in the world that have rooms for the privacy of travelers with babies - complete with subdued lighting and rocking chairs! Love that!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

I really think you have no intention with comments like this other than provoking me into a fight or anger. By your logic, there is nothing in the New testament says we should wear clothes, so women should just walk around naked, and if someone gets offended, then oh well, it's there problem. Common sense says a exposed breast will lead most men to think sexual thoughts. Therefore any Christian woman who acts on her God given right to breastfeed should do so in a way she is not putting herself or her breasts on public display. She should do it in all modesty and humbleness of mind. Remembering those brothers and sisters in Christ who are weaker. Not making a display or show, but meeting the needs of the child in a Christ like mind.

I have no desire to make anyone angry, I am just pointing out that words have meanings.  you stated there are no exemptions to the "don't cause one to stumble" rule.  It seems we both agree there is a limit to how far we are expected to take this, even if the Bible does not list exemptions.

As you pointed out, 99% of men find the breast to be sexual, whether it is covered or not.  Men that struggle with the sin of lust, as you have used in your example, do not need a breast to be bare to lust.  Sadly as one that has struggled with this sin for 35 years, I speak from experience.   I used the example in my last post about a turtle neck sweater.  I used this by design as there was a woman at a church I attended many years ago that wore such a sweater and it did cause me to lust.  Should she have been told not to wear the sweater?  Of course not, she was not trying to make me stumble, and in fact she was not, it was my issue, not hers

I do not feel a nursing mother and her child should be put out because men cannot control their thoughts.  I disagree with you that the intent of the woman does not matter, a woman just wanting to tend to her baby should is very different than a woman wearing tight or revealing clothing.

And I agree that a woman should not just bare all for the world to see, but she can be discrete and still not make her child suffer by having to nurse covered and blocked from the view of the mother.

A nursing baby is eating it's food.

Romans 14:20  (NIV)

Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.

If a woman nursing in public, feeding her baby food from an exposed breast causes offense, or causes someone to stumble, then scripture is clear. It is wrong!

I really think you have no intention with comments like this other than provoking me into a fight or anger. By your logic, there is nothing in the New testament says we should wear clothes, so women should just walk around naked, and if someone gets offended, then oh well, it's there problem. Common sense says a exposed breast will lead most men to think sexual thoughts. Therefore any Christian woman who acts on her God given right to breastfeed should do so in a way she is not putting herself or her breasts on public display. She should do it in all modesty and humbleness of mind. Remembering those brothers and sisters in Christ who are weaker. Not making a display or show, but meeting the needs of the child in a Christ like mind.

I have no desire to make anyone angry, I am just pointing out that words have meanings. you stated there are no exemptions to the "don't cause one to stumble" rule. It seems we both agree there is a limit to how far we are expected to take this, even if the Bible does not list exemptions.

As you pointed out, 99% of men find the breast to be sexual, whether it is covered or not. Men that struggle with the sin of lust, as you have used in your example, do not need a breast to be bare to lust. Sadly as one that has struggled with this sin for 35 years, I speak from experience. I used the example in my last post about a turtle neck sweater. I used this by design as there was a woman at a church I attended many years ago that wore such a sweater and it did cause me to lust. Should she have been told not to wear the sweater? Of course not, she was not trying to make me stumble, and in fact she was not, it was my issue, not hers

I do not feel a nursing mother and her child should be put out because men cannot control their thoughts. I disagree with you that the intent of the woman does not matter, a woman just wanting to tend to her baby should is very different than a woman wearing tight or revealing clothing.

Romans 14:20 (NIV)

Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a person to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.

If a woman nursing in public, feeding her baby food from an exposed breast causes offense, or causes someone to stumble, then scripture is clear. It is wrong!

You just cant make up your mind.

Have a great night, i just cant handle this sort of inconsistency

I really think you have no intention with comments like this other than provoking me into a fight or anger. By your logic, there is nothing in the New testament says we should wear clothes, so women should just walk around naked, and if someone gets offended, then oh well, it's there problem. Common sense says a exposed breast will lead most men to think sexual thoughts. Therefore any Christian woman who acts on her God given right to breastfeed should do so in a way she is not putting herself or her breasts on public display. She should do it in all modesty and humbleness of mind. Remembering those brothers and sisters in Christ who are weaker. Not making a display or show, but meeting the needs of the child in a Christ like mind.

I have no desire to make anyone angry, I am just pointing out that words have meanings. you stated there are no exemptions to the "don't cause one to stumble" rule. It seems we both agree there is a limit to how far we are expected to take this, even if the Bible does not list exemptions.

As you pointed out, 99% of men find the breast to be sexual, whether it is covered or not. Men that struggle with the sin of lust, as you have used in your example, do not need a breast to be bare to lust. Sadly as one that has struggled with this sin for 35 years, I speak from experience. I used the example in my last post about a turtle neck sweater. I used this by design as there was a woman at a church I attended many years ago that wore such a sweater and it did cause me to lust. Should she have been told not to wear the sweater? Of course not, she was not trying to make me stumble, and in fact she was not, it was my issue, not hers

I do not feel a nursing mother and her child should be put out because men cannot control their thoughts. I disagree with you that the intent of the woman does not matter, a woman just wanting to tend to her baby should is very different than a woman wearing tight or revealing clothing.

My mind is made up. Also it's against the TOS for you to make this about me. Please stick to the subject. I posted a Bible verse. If you don't like the verse, then your problem is with the scripture and not me.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

My ex-wife breastfeed. But in public she would go to the car or the bathroom if we were in public.

If a private place is convenient, then great. But not all women circumstances are convenient for a woman to tuck herself away. Example, a woman at a restaurant shopping with her baby and a toddler. Should she leave her toddler alone at the table? Or do you expect her to pack up all her stuff and her toddler to the women's bathroom where there might not be a sanitary place to place her bags nor a place to keep her toddler occupied?

If a public bathroom has a lounge with chairs, great. But are you advocating a woman sit on a toilet to feed her baby? Would you want to eat your dinner while sitting on a public toilet?

If breasts are just for breastfeeding and not sex. Then it should be ok for women to walk around topless, the way that men do. A lot of men when they got to hot, working for instance just take there shirt right off. Nothing is ever said it is wrong. So why can't women do the same thing?

Your argument is just as irrational as me replying that your attitude is not different than the Muslims who demand women wear burkhas. After all, your case is that women have to bend over backwards in order to guard men from their lust-problems. Well, this is what the advocates of burkhas proclaim.

And since you are so concerned about causing stumbling in a believer, how about the females who are feeling tempted to distrust and hate men by the catering to men's lusts being advocated in this thread? Is that loving?

My mind is made up. Also it's against the TOS for you to make this about me. Please stick to the subject. I posted a Bible verse. If you don't like the verse, then your problem is with the scripture and not me.
The problem is not the verse, it is in the application.

You apply it to breast feeding but nothing else.

I am pretty sure the verse is not speaking of breast feeding only

My ex-wife breastfeed. But in public she would go to the car or the bathroom if we were in public.

If a private place is convenient, then great. But not all women circumstances are convenient for a woman to tuck herself away. Example, a woman at a restaurant shopping with her baby and a toddler. Should she leave her toddler alone at the table? Or do you expect her to pack up all her stuff and her toddler to the women's bathroom where there might not be a sanitary place to place her bags nor a place to keep her toddler occupied?

If a public bathroom has a lounge with chairs, great. But are you advocating a woman sit on a toilet to feed her baby? Would you want to eat your dinner while sitting on a public toilet?

If breasts are just for breastfeeding and not sex. Then it should be ok for women to walk around topless, the way that men do. A lot of men when they got to hot, working for instance just take there shirt right off. Nothing is ever said it is wrong. So why can't women do the same thing?

Your argument is just as irrational as me replying that your attitude is not different than the Muslims who demand women wear burkhas. After all, your case is that women have to bend over backwards in order to guard men from their lust-problems. Well, this is what the advocates of burkhas proclaim.

And since you are so concerned about causing stumbling in a believer, how about the females who are feeling tempted to distrust and hate men by the catering to men's lusts being advocated in this thread? Is that loving?