• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Why is there no unity in the body of Christ?

There are disputes on every single point of doctrine there is. Very few agree on a lot of things. Even fewer agree on most things. I've never come across 2 believers that agreed on everything. The bible states in the book of Acts that the Apostles were of 1 accord. The first believers were in unity. With each other and Christ.

Why aren't we?

People often say it's ok, because we are never going to agree on everything. But, the bible says Christ is not divided. Where is the unity? Is it we understand the scripture differently? Well, if we are all being led to the truth by the same Holy Spirit, then shouldn't it be the same truth we arrive at?  Is it because we are at different places in our walk with Christ? But even then, the same core truth should be there, should be the same. Just built upon. Line upon line. An unfolding living revelation coming from the living Word.

How can every believer be hearing and being led by the same Holy Spirit and all of us come to different answers to the exact same questions? Why is it seen as such a bad thing to say " I don't know " or " I was wrong ". If Christ is love, then shouldn't unity start there to? Isn't forgiveness apart of love?

Where is the Unity?

May the living Lord Jesus Bless you all

Firestormx

Joseph

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Answer:

People add to or take away from God's word to create traditions of men. The disagreement is mainly in the traditions of men, which Mark 7:7-13 indicates nullifies the word of God. 

The Law

Deuteronomy 4:2 (KJV)
2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you.

The Writings

Proverbs 30:5-6 (KJV)
5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
6 Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

The Prophets

Revelation 22:18-19 (KJV)
18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Answer:

People add to or take away from God's word to create traditions of men. The disagreement is mainly in the traditions of me, which Mark 7:7-13 indicates nullifies the word of God. 

OK, so if that is the problem, if that is why there is no unity. Then how do we as believers become unified? I ask for this reason. You can't fix a problem if you don't know what it is.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,676
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I think were under the impression that we have to agree 100% to be united, and thats simply not true. Yes, we need to agree on the core issues, but you don't have to agree 100% on everything, to be unified. Sure, that will happen someday in heaven-but on earth, its not going to, and we need to look past our differences. Me and my wife don't agree on everything-but were still united as one. We need to decide for ourselves, are we going to come together with this other believer, even though he might believe something slightly different then me-or am I going to sit on my high horse, and say that "he must have twisted scripture" or let "tradition get in the way"

Fact is none of us are perfect. none of us, have a perfect understanding of scripture. But, we, like the pharisees and sadducees of old, like to think we do, and we sit in our own little churches and point our fingers at other churches proclaiming that were right and theyre wrong-even though the differences may be slight, and not even core issues. For example, in my town, there is a christian church, and a non instrumental Church Of Christ. Both of these churches come from the same movement, the restoration movement, both teach nearly identical doctrine, both teach you should worship God with song, but the two wont talk with each other. why? because one uses instruments, and the other does not. I don't see the issue, personally, I mean theyre both worshiping God, if you want to worship with instruments, go to the christian church, without go to the Church Of Christ-but that doesn't mean the two can't get together and work with each other to reach the lost, but they don't.

I think were under the impression that we have to agree 100% to be united, and thats simply not true. Yes, we need to agree on the core issues, but you don't have to agree 100% on everything, to be unified. Sure, that will happen someday in heaven-but on earth, its not going to, and we need to look past our differences.

I know churches like the ones you talked about. What I find sad, what I don't understand is most don't even agree on the core issues. I mean, just read the threads on this site for example. It's almost like we have all of these little things we are focused on, instead of the very dark and evil world that needs to see the light and truth of Jesus so badly. I just don't know anymore. This is just not the way Christ meant for his church to behave. This is not the example we are suppose to be giving. I just don't know what I could ever possibly do about it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

I think were under the impression that we have to agree 100% to be united, and thats simply not true. Yes, we need to agree on the core issues, but you don't have to agree 100% on everything, to be unified. Sure, that will happen someday in heaven-but on earth, its not going to, and we need to look past our differences.

I know churches like the ones you talked about. What I find sad, what I don't understand is most don't even agree on the core issues. I mean, just read the threads on this site for example. It's almost like we have all of these little things we are focused on, instead of the very dark and evil world that needs to see the light and truth of Jesus so badly. I just don't know anymore. This is just not the way Christ meant for his church to behave. This is not the example we are suppose to be giving. I just don't know what I could ever possibly do about it.

I see what you mean.You can pray.Our world is going to become darker and darker and more separated rather than to be united.

I see what you mean.You can pray.Our world is going to become darker and darker and more separated rather than to be united.

Thanks. But I honestly believe we should be united. Christ is 1. Not many. So we should be 1 in him. I just feel so lost over this right now. Tired of all the bickering and fighting over every single thing. I just don't know, I just don't know.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

Thanks. But I honestly believe we should be united. Christ is 1. Not many. So we should be 1 in him. I just feel so lost over this right now. Tired of all the bickering and fighting over every single thing. I just don't know, I just don't know.

It should be but it isn't.I hate to be pessamistic but it isn't going to happen until we are with Him.And yes it is getting worse.

It should be but it isn't.I hate to be pessamistic but it isn't going to happen until we are with Him.And yes it is getting worse.

I truly understand how you could be pessimistic about it. I guess where I am at is close to where you are. I just can't seem to get around a thought. How can there be no hope with him who is all hope, that is Jesus Christ. I just don't know what to do. Is there something I could say or do? Some work Jesus could do through me? A divided house can't stand. Things must change. I just don't know what to do. Thanks for the posts.

Guest ninhao

Hello FirestormX,

I think you have met the nail upon the head with the bolded. Christ is 1 not many yes ! What does this mean ? 

Christ is the One true Lord

Christ is the One Way to Salvation

Christ is the One Who created all

Christ is the One Who loves us all

Chrsit is the One Who died for us

Christ is the One Who binds us together

Christ is the One Who will return for us

( you may add many more points here )

There is absolute unity in Christ imo but as Patriot noted above we fuss over minor issues. This doesn't imply disunity it implies pride of self imo.

It is ok to disagree on the minor isssues but don't get a hot collar maybe.