BlessedByTheBest

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  631
  • Content Per Day:  0.15
  • Days Won:  2

If there is proof that a God exists why are religions still called FAITHS?

I don't understand the question?

Please elucidate or at the very least expound?

The Topic is 'Proof that God exists', which everyone seems to agree with,

I am asking, 'If there is proof that a God exists why are religions still called FAITHS?'

I would also add that, 'if there was proof that a God existed there would be no Atheists'.

Christians also don't seem to know what evidence is, they think everyone has their own evidence,

evidence is only evidence if it can be seen to be evidence by everyone,

feelings do not count as evidence.

Religions are called 'faiths' because they are not backed by evidence,

faith is required when there is no evidence.

We only ever use faith where religion is concerned, we never use faith for anything else,

faith is synonymous with religion.

evidence of a Creator is plainly seen in creation so that man has no excuse.  this alone should be proof enough to a prideful man bereft of an all-encompassing knowledge of the experience in which he is confined.

on the contrary, it has been rightfully stated that it requires more faith to state that there is no evidence for God.

faith is required because finite man cannot see infinite God and live, not because there is a lack of evidence.

and faith is not restricted to religion.  i have faith that you will respond to this post, but i have no evidence.  since you cannot know that the sun will be shining tomorrow, you must have faith that it will be when you arise.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Is Christianity a faith? if it is then that's the faith I am talking about.

In your perception is Buddhism a faith? If so what do they have faith in?

What you are doing is a classic religious defence, If you keep asking questions you will never need to answer any.

Suffice to say, you do not use faith in any other part of your life, you may think you do but you don't.

Define faith, and then you are at liberty to make such an assertion. Until you define faith you cannot.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

Of course Christianity is a faith.  Why the question?

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

I didn't think it left enough room for movement,  either.  But I would ask, what truths would be different on the spacecraft and the earth apart from what time it is?  4 plus 4 would still equal 8 on the ship as well as back on earth?  I am not an expert on relativity, so perhaps this is a simple minded question.

now that i have duped you into looking...

this is fun!

http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/

:happyhappy:

I tried it. The first question asked if absolute truth exists, and the way I understood how they defined absolute truth makes Einstein's theory of Relativity disprove their notion of absolute truth as not everything is true for all people in all frames of reference. For example the twin paradox where the first twin takes a spaceship and flies it around the universe at high speeds then comes back to Earth. The first twin will experience time dilation (from our perspective) so to him the trip only takes a few years, but to us on Earth including the second twin the trip took much longer and possibly many lifetimes. So the notion that there is absolute truth that is inherently true for all people in all reference frames of time and space is false as I understand it. 

So I said that absolute truth does not exist, then for the next question the answers make a false dichotomy: either chose the negation of your previous answer, or say that 'absolute truth is false is absolutely true'. The second statement is an equivocation as I see it, since "absolute truth" in the first part of the statement has a specific definition (which the site gave in the first question) which I do not think corresponds to the second "absolute truth" in this statement, so both choices are false in my mind. 

But I didn't want to end this "proof" prematurely, so for my second go-round I just put in all the answers they wanted. I got to the end with the "proof" that God exists because without God you can't prove anything, and I was disappointed with the logic they were using after spending so much time propping up logic itself. I hope no one takes this "proof" too seriously. 

cool D-9!  we haven't chatted in a while.   :biggrin2:

i think i understand what you are saying..

"(Absolute Truth - True for all people at all times everywhere)"

here is my take on it..

absolute truth must be universal.  universal as in, it has always been and always will be.

absolute truth transcends time.  it is true simultaneously at all points, within and without time's confines.  it cannot be affected by outside influence or observation.

the truth never changed because it was not dependent upon either of the twins' perspective of it.

to proclaim that truth is relative is a relative truth.

our conscious reality itself is relative.

the truth is(for lack of a better word) :laughing: , 

in duality, absolute truth exists and it does not exist.  both answers are right! lol

this is because any concept of absolute truth we can attempt to describe is relative to our individual perceptions.

in unity, absolute truth just is.

unified with God through Jesus Christ, Christians "know" absolute truth as far as it can be known on this side of eternity.

partaking of the fruit from the tree of knowledge, caused our fall from unity with God.

because absoluteness is devoid of relativity, then only that which is infinite can be absolute.

my brain hurts..

if you disagree with their definition, how would you word it?

God bless.

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

now that i have duped you into looking...

this is fun!

http://www.proofthatgodexists.org/

:happyhappy:

I tried it. The first question asked if absolute truth exists, and the way I understood how they defined absolute truth makes Einstein's theory of Relativity disprove their notion of absolute truth as not everything is true for all people in all frames of reference. For example the twin paradox where the first twin takes a spaceship and flies it around the universe at high speeds then comes back to Earth. The first twin will experience time dilation (from our perspective) so to him the trip only takes a few years, but to us on Earth including the second twin the trip took much longer and possibly many lifetimes. So the notion that there is absolute truth that is inherently true for all people in all reference frames of time and space is false as I understand it. 

So I said that absolute truth does not exist, then for the next question the answers make a false dichotomy: either chose the negation of your previous answer, or say that 'absolute truth is false is absolutely true'. The second statement is an equivocation as I see it, since "absolute truth" in the first part of the statement has a specific definition (which the site gave in the first question) which I do not think corresponds to the second "absolute truth" in this statement, so both choices are false in my mind. 

But I didn't want to end this "proof" prematurely, so for my second go-round I just put in all the answers they wanted. I got to the end with the "proof" that God exists because without God you can't prove anything, and I was disappointed with the logic they were using after spending so much time propping up logic itself. I hope no one takes this "proof" too seriously. 

I don't think relativity is a good example contra the notion of 'absolute truth' at all. First, Relativity is formed by assuming that physical laws are invariant- they are the *same* no matter what inertial frame you are in. Second, paradoxes like this have a physical solution. In the twin paradox because one twin has to undergo acceleration the solution can be found to which twin will be older upon meeting.

I do agree the site is kind of stupid though.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

There is only one thing we can say for sure is an absolute truth and that is DEATH and that's what ALL religions are about,

they ALL claim to have found the only way to cheat death, which is what makes ALL religions laughable and ALL believers gullible.

Please read this before they take it down.

Edited by Lylow

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

There is only one thing we can say for sure is an absolute truth and that is DEATH and that's what ALL religions are about,

they ALL claim to have found the only way to cheat death, which is what makes ALL religions laughable and ALL believers gullible.

Well how else would they see it before it was taken down besides reading it?  :whistling:

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

Well how else would they see it before it was taken down besides reading it?  :whistling:

It was a message to the people who take things down to say that we all know they don't like both sides to be heard.

Like churches Christian websites are not there for the Christians they are there to keep Christians believing,

anything that might encourage a Christian to think is removed because Christians must remain followers.

Edited by Lylow

are we supposed to take it on FAITH that ALL the rest of your ridiculous claims are absolute truth as well?

please read this before you get banned.