IGNORED

Was Jesus crucified on a cross or on a tree?

Hall7

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

In the Greek translation all the words that say cross in the Bible in English are translated to tree in Greek. (Or so I think from what I've read)

The God of our fathers raised Jesus from the dead -- whom you had killed by hanging him on a CROSS/TREE (Acts 5:30, NIV).

The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a CROSS/TREE (Acts 5:30, KJV).

It was the God of our ancestors who raised up Jesus, but it was you who had him executed by hanging on a CROSS/TREE (Acts 5:30, Jerusalem Bible).

We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a CROSS/TREE...(Acts 10:39, NIV).

And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a CROSS/TREE (Acts 10:39, KJV).

Now I, and those with me, can witness to everything he did throughout the countryside of Judaea and in Jerusalem itself: and also to the fact that they killed him by hanging him on a CROSS/TREE (Acts 10:39, Jerusalem Bible).

When they had carried out all that was written about him, they took him down from the CROSS/TREE and laid him in a tomb (Acts 13:29, NIV).

When they had carried out everything that scripture foretells about him they took him down from the CROSS/TREE and buried him in a tomb (Acts 13:29, Jerusalem Bible).

And when they had fulfilled all that was written of him, they took him down from the CROSS/TREE, and laid him in a sepulchre (Acts 13:29, KJV).

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a CROSS/TREE” (Galatians 3:13, NIV).

Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law by being cursed for our sake, since scripture says: Cursed be everyone who is hanged on a CROSS/TREE (Galatians 3:13, Jerusalem Bible).

Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a CROSS/TREE (Galatians 3:13, KJV).

He himself bore our sins in his body on the CROSS/TREE...(1 Peter 2:24, NIV).

Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the CROSS/TREE...(1 Peter 2:24, KJV).

The Greek word xulou (or xulon) is translated “tree” in each of the above passages. This Greek word refers to a LIVING TREE -- not a Roman cross...

Thoughts anyone?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.82
  • Days Won:  226

The Romans used crosses,poles and stakes.I do not think we can verify that Jesus actually died on a cross.The Jehovah Witnesses do not believe that Jesus died on a Cross.

The Romans used crosses,poles and stakes.I do not think we can verify that Jesus actually died on a cross.The Jehovah Witnesses do not believe that Jesus died on a Cross.

I didn't know that about the Jehovahs...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

But in other scriptures it talks about the cross of Jesus Christ.  Paul said He gloried in the Cross of Jesus.  I believe it was a literal cross.

But in other scriptures it talks about the cross of Jesus Christ.  Paul said He gloried in the Cross of Jesus.  I believe it was a literal cross.

It's what I always believed as well, but now this Greek translation of a cross confuses me a bit.

Guest AFlameOfFire

It's what I always believed as well, but now these verses confuse me a bit. Do you think they mean a metaphorical tree? Or was a cross also called a tree back then?

Hey Rustyangel (I just love that name lol)

Well you have Abraham laying the wood on Isaac (Son of promise), Moses putting the serpent on a pole (lifted up) being the ensign signifying what death Christ would die (he who knew no sin was made sin for us). Christ on a tree. Which is the same word for "staves" and also defined as wood.

You can see them all signifying the same thing, Christ crucified.

Note: In the English translated Bible it says "Cross" but in the Greek translation the Greek word xulou (or xulon) (Which is translated to cross in English) is translated to “tree” in each of the above passages. This Greek word refers to a living tree.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I believe it to be a cross.  But to me it doesn't matter, He suffered , died for my sins and rose again  and because of His grace I'm saved and want to be His light.  

Guest AFlameOfFire

I cant tell who I was quoting, I thought it was Rustyangel, so forgive me if I couldn't discern that rightly

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33