IGNORED

Was Jesus crucified on a cross or on a tree?

Hall7

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.22
  • Days Won:  58

There is a verse somewhere in the old testament about someone being hung on a tree and being cursed for it. Perhaps that is why some verses reference a tree. The bible is clear I think that He died on a cross. Not a tree. 

Deuteronomy 21

22 And if a man has committed a sin worthy of death, and if he is put to death and you hang him on a tree,
23 his body shall not remain all night on the tree. But you shall surely bury him that day (for he that is hanged is accursed of God), so that your land may not be defiled, which the LORD your God gives you for an inheritance.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,385
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  5

It's ok Flame :)

Guest AFlameOfFire

Paul quotes the OT in Gal 3:13  saying "it is written". So if you take it back to the Hebrew from where he is quoting you can see the same word tree (as mine is translated) used also for tree 162 times as well as wood 107 times

Thank you Candice, that pretty much clears it up. I think I might've gotten my info from a Jehova's witness site by accident, because like Bopeep mentioned that's what they believe. What happened was that someone (in another thread) mentioned that Christ died on a tree or something of that nature. So I quickly researched it online, and that was the first information that popped up. But, it could've been a Jehovah witness site... 

Guest AFlameOfFire

Thanks Hall.

Same word used for tree in Duet is used for the wood Abraham laid upon Isaac who was a similitude of Jesus Christ.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

But in other scriptures it talks about the cross of Jesus Christ.  Paul said He gloried in the Cross of Jesus.  I believe it was a literal cross.

It could have been a cross but like I said the Romans used other things to crucify.We can not be sure.

I believe it to be a cross.  But to me it doesn't matter, He suffered , died for my sins and rose again  and because of His grace I'm saved and want to be His light.  

Exactly..... :mgcheerful:

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

Thank you Candice, that pretty much clears it up. I think I might've gotten my info from a Jehova's witness site by accident, because like Bopeep mentioned that's what they believe. What happened was that someone (in another thread) mentioned that Christ died on a tree or something of that nature. So I quickly researched it online, and that was the first information that popped up. But, it could've been a Jehovah witness site... 

That is an interesting read but that is not what I read on a very reliable source.How can we know for sure?We were not there.But like Rusty said "Does it matter?".

Paul quotes the OT in Gal 3:13  saying "it is written". So if you take it back to the Hebrew from where he is quoting you can see the same word tree (as mine is translated) used also for tree 162 times as well as wood 107 times

So do you believe it was a tree or a cross?

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.90
  • Days Won:  33

Glad it was cleared up!

That is an interesting read but that is not what I read on a very reliable source.How can we know for sure?We were not there.But like Rusty said "Does it matter?".

The only thing it would change would be that people would start wearing trees instead of crosses :). Although, in a metaphorical way, the image of a tree of life seems appealing to my eyes. The blood of Jesus dripping down its roots to save the world... (I'm kind of an artist so don't mind me lol)