• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,073
  • Content Per Day:  0.52
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/10/1923

If you think it wrong to wear a hat in church.....don't do it.

If you think it is not wrong....wear your hat and show everyone how you were dragged up. :24:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you think it wrong to wear a hat in church.....don't do it.

If you think it is not wrong....wear your hat and show everyone how you were dragged up. :wub:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Praise the Lord and Shalom.I just thaught I would post on here because I saw your topic and I think it is a very good question.I agree with the others that were talking about men having their head uncovered.You do not need to have your head covered,but as for the women,When a woman prays or prophesies she should have her head covered.(1cor.11:3-16) But when a man prays or prophesies he does not need to cover his head for Christ is his head.I had to learn this myself being a woman and I have to say when I started using a head covering I felt strange,but now I just don't feel right without it. :24:

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  66
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

The context goes back to vs 3

No, context is not one or two verses before the verse. Context includes the verses before AND after. So, let's get some meaning from these verses.

1 Cor. 11:4 is the verse in question. However, verse 5 says "But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying disgraces her head, for she is one and the same as the woman whose head is shaved". Ok, so far, a woman without a covering is the same as a woman with a shaved head. But let's move on.

6"For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her head shaved, let her cover her head.".

But, let's skip ahead to the verse which ties it all together, and it makes sense completely.

Verse 13 "Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

So in verse 13, the woman's long hair is her covering. So if hair is given as a covering, then the covering of a woman's head in verse 5 is her hair! Not a hat. In verse 14 it mentions a man having long hair, so if a covering is a hat, why even bring up hair at all? It doesn't make sense unless you put them together, and a covering is hair, not a hat.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  75
  • Content Count:  3,399
  • Content Per Day:  0.43
  • Days Won:  1

Well this thread has changed from a question of men wearing a head covering while praying to a woman wearing a head covering while praying.

So on the issue of woman wearing a head covering while praying i agree with Jon The Jew. The passage does say to me that if a woman has long hair it is given to her as a covering and therefore she does not need a head covering while she prays.

But once again i say let the Spirit convict.

All Praise the Ancient Of Days

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  52
  • Content Count:  2,230
  • Content Per Day:  0.31
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/03/1952

The context goes back to vs 3

No, context is not one or two verses before the verse. Context includes the verses before AND after. So, let's get some meaning from these verses.

1 Cor. 11:4 is the verse in question. However, verse 5 says "But every woman who has her head uncovered while praying or prophesying disgraces her head, for she is one and the same as the woman whose head is shaved". Ok, so far, a woman without a covering is the same as a woman with a shaved head. But let's move on.

6"For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also have her hair cut off; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her head shaved, let her cover her head.".

But, let's skip ahead to the verse which ties it all together, and it makes sense completely.

Verse 13 "Judge for yourselves: is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not even nature itself teach that if a man has long hair, it is a dishonor to him? 15 but if a woman has long hair, it is a glory to her? For her hair is given to her for a covering.

So in verse 13, the woman's long hair is her covering. So if hair is given as a covering, then the covering of a woman's head in verse 5 is her hair! Not a hat. In verse 14 it mentions a man having long hair, so if a covering is a hat, why even bring up hair at all? It doesn't make sense unless you put them together, and a covering is hair, not a hat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jon,

Going back to vs 3 tells us what the head is referring to. The head of every man is Christ, and the head, or authority, of the woman is the man. Can we agree on that?

1Co 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having [his] head covered, dishonoureth his head.

Without stating what the head covering is, If a man covers his head while praying/prophesying he dishonors his head/Christ.

5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

The opposite is true for the woman. Whatever the head covering is if she prays of prophesies and does not cover her head she dishonors her husband/father.

Now to find out what the headcovering is.

6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

Why skip ahead? There is much meat here for those interested in good solid spiritual food. The word translated covered is katakalupto/katakalypto. It means to cover up or put a veil on; to be hidden from view by use of a veil. In the LXX the ark is hidden behind a veil(Ex. 26:34); The seraphim cover their faces with their wings(Is. 6:2); and the veiled woman by the wayside, thought to be a harlot(Gen. 38:15). In the NT it is only used here in this passage(1Cor 11:4-15). In this verse Paul is saying that if the woman does not want to wear a veil she aught to be shaved.

7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

Veils are not for men.

8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.

9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

When a woman wears a veil/head covering she is showing her submissive attitude. God has ordained an order to authority which goes back to Gen. 3:16.

Ge 24:65  For she [had] said unto the servant, What man [is] this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant [had] said, It [is] my master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself.
Apparently this shows the angels something about us and our submission to authority. It must be that they cannot see our hearts as God can and must rely on an outward symbol that they can recognize.

11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

And so that men do not let pride go their heads, Paul reminds us that men are as dependent upon women as much as they upon men.

13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

Here Paul is appealing to common sense. It appears less reverent to pray without a veil.

14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

And finally Paul appeals to nature. If it is a shame for a man to have long hair it is even worse for him to pray with a veil on. The woman on the other hand is edified by her long hair. Now this word covering is not the same greek word used above. It is peribolaion. Her long hair is the natural, God given covering. The veil is the chosen act of submission to authority, her head/husband.

So should men take their hats off when praying? Some of us see a stubborn and rebellious generation that really started in the 60's and is becoming full blown even now.

LT

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  105

Greetings brethren,

God

Edited by Repent1

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  144
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

You can bind yourself with all kinds of religious laws but it's to no avail if you don't have Jesus in your heart.

Edit: oops, sorry, I posted this in the wrong thread. I meant to post this in the "should women wear dresses all the time thread". :rolleyes:

Edited by Green Darner

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  1,672
  • Content Per Day:  0.23

What is the big deal in taking off your hat if asked? People are lost and going to hell out there...that's what we should be more concerned about.

Well, then what's the big deal about someone wearing their hat in church? What if I was lost and a friend brought me? My first impression of Christians is hats are bad, and in order to be a Christian, I have to follow strict and pointless rules.

I think it's a matter of courtesy to the person/church that is asking that you refrain from wearing the hat as well. My point still remains though...there are other more important things to be concerned over than wearing hats in church. Alot of churches and people get wrapped up in things that don't mean a hill of beans when it comes to eternity.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  41

i think its merely a sign of respect

i mean it would look kinda funny to walk into a funeral with a baseball cap :)