Meta_Agape

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  166
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Not to wander too much off-topic, but have you considered some believe in God because they experienced something in their life which the science cannot explain? I mean, getting healed from a severe sickness directly after praying etc.? 

So it's not in this sense just to find a 'mechanism to explain' things. But of course, often it takes you to experience yourself to really understand what it is about. And I don't mean to have some strange vibe and say that's God, but profound breakthroughs that change life.

The context of me talking about using it as a mechanism to explain things was in the context of deism, not theism. The point of deism is that someone believes in a god, but not that the god has any active role in their life, so they likely wouldn't attribute any miraculous healing to the god; or, perhaps they would, and they would convert from deism to theism. The reasons any one person believes will be different than those of someone else.

For me, personally, when I used to believe, it was mostly because it was what I was told when I was younger. I simply accepted that as the way of the world for the first twenty years, or so.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

Take the case of Francis Collins.

His work on DNA and the human genome is what fuled his belief in God.

Not to fill in any gaps but because at that level, in his mind there is unmistakable signs if design and intelligence behind the design.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

I think that many scientists are theists, they just are not in the sense of a personal God interested in the details of our lives.  The famous poll, I forgot the name of it, of scientists in 1916 and a century later posed the question of God in a personal sense.

I think that many scientists are theists, they just are not in the sense of a personal God interested in the details of our lives.  The famous poll, I forgot the name of it, of scientists in 1916 and a century later posed the question of God in a personal sense.

:thumbsup:

Not All Scientists Are Fools

The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that doeth good. Psalms 53:1

Nor Will All Men Be Fooled

This is another classic example of biased reporting that the militant atheist world abounds in. To start, you should be informed that Edward Larson asked scientists if they believed in“...a God in intellectual and affective communication with humankind.(1) This is clearly a belief in a “Personal God” that Christians, Jews and Muslims believe in. This question does not include a belief in a “Creator” who is not involved in human affairs, such as the divinity that “Deists” and “Pantheists” believe in. Without doubt, a significant number of scientists would describe themselves as such. Einstein, in fact, defined himself as a Pantheist; The famed British physicist, Hawkins believes in a Creator but, reportedly, not a “Personal God” and is, therefore, either a Pantheist or a Deist. If Deists and Pantheists had been factored in, the number of believing scientists would have been higher. (A few years ago, Edward Larson, in our correspondence, encouraged me to do a study that would ask a more all-encompassing question. I have not done so yet, but I am sure it would be quite revealing.)

Not surprisingly, “American Atheists,” in their continuing effort to elevate unbelief, skillfully transformed the results into, “40 % believed in a deity, while 45% did not.” Fortunately, there are many analytical minds around who can quickly spot the manipulation. On the other hand, there are lots of fanatical atheists who will hastily gloat at anything that appears to imply the gradual death of God and Religion.

Unfortunately for them, what is amazing is that decades of brainwashing by unbelieving evolutionists who heavily influence Education has not sufficed to transform all scientists into disciples. Furthermore, with the backlash that is presently in full bloom on the part of Creationist scientists, they can be assured that the number of unbelieving scientists who in the future will turn to Religion will be significant. http://atheismexposed.tripod.com/modern_scientist_and_god.htm

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

http://www.pewforum.org/2009/11/05/scientists-and-belief/

The proportions of belief really are much different and much lower than among the general public.

That is quite true. With increased education, belief wanes.

Edited by gray wolf

Where do you find those proportions? I thought that the US popoluation has a large percentage of believers in a personal God?

yeah, check out the link I provided, you'll find it interesting

Oops I read you wrong. Sorry.

That Is Quite True.

For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings. Hosea 6:6

With Increased Education, Belief Soars.

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Romans 10:17

Right, so here is a question- why?