The spirit of drunkenness vs. being drunken by the Holy Spirit

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  34
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  370
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Days Won:  0

Got inspired by where the spirit of the prophets thread led, so I will open up another perhaps as fruitful subject described in the topic title.

While getting a good hit by the Holy Spirit is somewhat scriptural phenomenon, the emergence of the so called spirit of drunkenness is a later development, if I am not mistaken it took place in Toronto in the 1950's when a revival took about.

So I'd like to hear some fresh points concerning this. I might begin by saying a deliverence minister with good reputation and great deal of experience on the field stated that many times the strange behavior caused by the Holy Spirit is not itself a fruit of the spirit but demonic forces driven on the surface. According to him, they should then be dealt with the appropriate way and not mistaken as the Holy Spirit manifestation per se. I must admit, having witnessed a few of these instances it at times resembled more like a mental facility than church.

I do not however wish to push any buttons of some Pentecostal members, remember this is just what someone said and I am curious about hearing other views as well.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

This should probably be under the "Doctrine" section...and if I get sidetracked please forgive me...

Just keep in mind anything can be made into a circus...

and without understanding and experiencing what God has for us...we just don't know...and most of the time we are afraid of what we don't know...so it makes sense to be led by God into what He wants for us...How many times have we prayed: God, which church do you want me to go to? And then wait for the answer until you know that you know...and granted not everyone will go to their pastor and say: Please lay hands on me I want The Baptism of The Holy Spirit...and so we miss out on the Gifts from God...I heard a wonderful definition the other day from a Renowned Prophet/Pastor of the Gifts of The Holy Spirit: They are Gifts Given to the Saints From God For The Needs of The World...Pretty Profound What God Wants To Give Us...(Maybe sidetracked but I have been praying where to put that...Hahaha...

Aside from the Baptism of The Holy Spirit though...I've read great testimonies of people that have spent time in The Presence of God...Men and women of old...Generals In The Faith...I've heard testimonies and talked to people that have participated in "Revival"...I've been in church services where The Holy Spirit was present...He is real but He is not always invited...Even in my house, I have experienced The Presence of God...His Presence Can Be Felt At Times...I'll be praying and both my daughter and I will just begin to weep...She says it's God, Mama!!! He Changes People On The Inside In Their Hearts...Quite another mystery...He is a He...but yet can engulf an entire room...Can change a heart in a millisecond!!! He is what is keeping all the wild animals from coming out of the woods and killing and eating all of us...Gives Witness Only of Jesus...not of Himself...

The Holy Spirit has been around longer than the 1950's; even before then, there were great Revivals...The Book of Acts 2:14 Peter talks about these are not drunk as you suppose...(but they sure did appear to be drunk-and we still do appear that way at times)

Everyday my prayer is that I will Walk In The Spirit and not my flesh...It is a magnificient thing to have a reborn spirit...To be reconciled to God...to not desire the things of the flesh, the things of the world or have the pride of life. Kinda makes sense that being In The Spirit is a place of Peace...of Contentment...of casting all my care on Him...ummm...kinda like being drunk except not...amazing!!!!

I also spent 10 long hard years drinking as much as I could (before I knew God)...being drunk alot...that sin was great for a season...but it led to death...in more ways than one...

Being drunk In The Spirit is oh so much better...

Love to you In Him, Kathy

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  625
  • Content Per Day:  0.16

Got inspired by where the spirit of the prophets thread led, so I will open up another perhaps as fruitful subject described in the topic title.

While getting a good hit by the Holy Spirit is somewhat scriptural phenomenon, the emergence of the so called spirit of drunkenness is a later development, if I am not mistaken it took place in Toronto in the 1950's when a revival took about.

So I'd like to hear some fresh points concerning this. I might begin by saying a deliverence minister with good reputation and great deal of experience on the field stated that many times the strange behavior caused by the Holy Spirit is not itself a fruit of the spirit but demonic forces driven on the surface. According to him, they should then be dealt with the appropriate way and not mistaken as the Holy Spirit manifestation per se. I must admit, having witnessed a few of these instances it at times resembled more like a mental facility than church.

I do not however wish to push any buttons of some Pentecostal members, remember this is just what someone said and I am curious about hearing other views as well.

I think you have been given the right feedback. The major misunderstanding with Pentecostal people is that they are relating what happened in the book of Acts with what was happening in Corinth. It was the utterance of the Holy Spirit in the former and persons' spirits later in Corinth. That is why Paul introduced the role of an interpreter there.

Edited by Knowingtruth

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  12
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Interestingly, one interpretation of being overwhelmed by drunkenness with (or through or by) the Holy Spirit involves a discussion of idleness.

That is to say, being in rapture with God in some form or another can be characterized as sincere labors of faith, as many monks believe.

While labor has been characterized by philosophers as a tragic consequence of hunger, communion with the Holy Spirit through labor or ingestion can serve as a modest sign of patience.

This of course implies that the failure of patience leads to idleness, sloth, and meandering --- handiworks of the Devil that lead to a moral wastefulness or what can be loosely referred to as "Earthly drunkenness."

The fact that I can rent an opulence-exploratory Hollywood (USA) movie such as "Celebrity" (1998) on the movie rental home-delivery service Netflix and enjoy it at home while drinking wine suggests that labor is not only a triumph but also an immaculate test.

The fact that I can rent an opulence-exploratory Hollywood (USA) movie such as "Celebrity" (1998) on the movie rental home-delivery service Netflix and enjoy it at home while drinking wine suggests that labor is not only a triumph but also an immaculate test.

~

The Fact That Any Of Us Ever Exist

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Jeremiah 29:11

Is Because Of The Mercies

This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. Lamentations 3:21-23

Of The LORD

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

You 

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

See

Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. 2 Corinthians 5:20