• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  14
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/21/1982

I delight in calling myself a christian. Yet i love listening to other secular music like Celine Dion's I'm your angel, my heart will go on and so on. My question is " Is it wrong to just listen to other music by other artists if you are a christian?" Please help me resolve this once and for all! :emot-questioned:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  972
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  07/07/1964

Colossians 3:17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

I personally don't see anything wrong with listening to different kinds of music unless that music is coming against the teaching of Christ.

We are free to recieve if we recieve it in the name of Jesus with thanksgiving.

I love listening to Celine Dion but if Celine started to try and lead us away from God, then no more Celine. I believe it is that simple.

In his love,

Brian

the only danger in opening your mind to things which don't glorify the Lord is that a slow hardening "can" occur. Some folks are more aware of it than others but it can get the best of us when we think there is no danger of it ever happening.

Be careful....stay close to the Father....Honor the Son....hear the Spirit.

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  669
  • Content Per Day:  0.09
  • Birthday:  09/04/1986

I love alot of secular music, and I am a Christian. I put myself at a limit though, if the words are clearly sinful, and wrong, then don't listen to it. There is so much wonderful music out there, but there is also some bad music, we need to use our discernment.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  06/14/1979

I was a huge music fan before I was a christian. :taped: !

I played in, followed and toured with bands. It was an amazing part of my life and in many ways was an extremely positive influence on me and is on thousands and thousands of young people- and old. Music allows you to express things you can't easily find words for (or aren't talented enough yourself to!), to share a passion with strangers and to relate to ideas and feelings expressed beautifully that may help you and all your friends get through. Don't stop listening it's great. :taped:

BUT... For me, I went on to find a lot of music I listened to, and a lot of my friends were into, expressed feelings that weren't really at all my own. I was relating to people and ideas that were in fact- in the cold light of day- very different from what I thought or represented something that had touched me once but that didn't bear years of repetition. Although there's A LOT of great positive secular music out there, once I became a Christian, I found a lot of what was around I couldn't relate to. I didn't feel there weren't answers, I didn't feel lost in love and I certainly didn't relate to many of sentiments secular music associated with happiness. More worrying for me, though, and why I feel since knowing God I haven't listened to my favourite bands so much, or even enjoyed flinging myself about to tunes I used to love, was that music had become an 'idol' for me. :taped:

I don't mean this like the celebrity worship that goes on and in fact so much of the music industry is about- I've never really seen the appeal of Britney for instance or even the Beatles as people, although this aspect is a real danger. I don't even mean the way that most performers are actually out to be loved and music frequently becomes about individuals rather than tracks (even a lot of christian solo artists seem to treat worship a bit like a gig ).

For me, it was just music itself that took my time and my love away from God. Although it wasn't evil, or ungodly, it wasn't where he was either and for a long time it contained the things I admired most, the directions I aspired to. It was a kind of distraction from giving myself entirely to Him and living my life how He wanted me to, just like anything can become if it is something you really come to love without Him.

Of course secular music doesn't have to be like this- it was something that personally, in my life I turned to instead of God: it got in the way of our relationship. Different things do this for different people- it's down to you and Him to identify any.

Music may instead provide a great outreach opportunity. It's always important to stay in touch with the secular world and not retreat to a bubble of righteousness and seclusion. In fact, the more people who know God that listen to secular music, and influence the music industry, the better it will become- there are people out there crazy about Celine who maybe really need to meet you. Just as there are people who play water polo or whatever, who will find God through people that also do.

If you like music then listen to it, sing along, knock yourself out... but, as in everything, remember what YOU know about the world. Remember what really matters and don't let sentiments you hear from anywhere sway your own spiritual instincts or what you have learned from your faith.

It's OK to listen to an artist because you like their sound without agreeing with everything they sing or say, it's OK not to take music, secular or otherwise too seriously. There's a lot of good stuff and great kindness out there that isn't overtly Christian. The secular world is by no means all bad, or dangerous or wrong- but if you feel uncomfortable listening to music or to any particular music, then don't. It's that discernment thing Deirdre mentioned. Talk to God directly and be honest with Him AND with yourself.

Sorry that was a bit of a rant!

Big love,

miyako_1984 :taped:

Edited by miyako_1984

• Topic Count:  110
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,254
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

I love to listen to the Beatles Abbey Road. Most of their lyrics made no sence at all. "Got to be good looking cause hes so hard to see"?????????It still sounds good!

Dan

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  149
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

I turned on our local county station and listened to it for about the last hour.

They had 12 songs

All had the people in the song, either drunk, on drugs, cheating or divorced.

They made it sound ok to drink, smoke and cheat on your wife. Sex outside of marriage was made a good thing.

So while they are some good songs out there, try Beethevon or Bach perhaps without words, since I am sure they would have messed that up to if they had written words for them.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

I still listen to some secular music.

One thing I stay away from, however, is music that claims to be Christian but is not. That includes Switchfoot, because from what I've seen, they are total sell-outs. You could listen to a whole Switchfoot album and NOT ONCE hear the name of Jesus, Christ, or Lord.

I still listen to some secular music.

One thing I stay away from, however, is music that claims to be Christian but is not. That includes Switchfoot, because from what I've seen, they are total sell-outs. You could listen to a whole Switchfoot album and NOT ONCE hear the name of Jesus, Christ, or Lord.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

so what?

Their first CD (New Way to be Human) was brilliant and made no bones about what they believe and in whom their hope is.

Do you preach Jesus all day on your secular job?

My guess is that most of us would be fired if we did...so we try to let some light in by our conduct. Switchfoot is probably more effective in influencing the culture than the christian band who has 10 j.p.m.'s (Jesus' per minute).

Don't assume that they aren't christians just because they don't do things the way you think they should.

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  178
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Yod,

The problem is that they claim to be in the ministry but ignore the MILLIONS of opportunities they're given to testify. Would you think it's OK if your pastor decided to just talk about sports or cars in his sermon on Sunday?

I have non-believing friends who love Switchfoot, but didn't even know Switchfoot is supposed to be Christian! The music is so void of anything spiritual that it's played on even the most secular radio stations.

Didn't mean to step on any feet; just saying it how I see it.

Edited by Cherub_Rocket