• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/28/1993

So thanks to everyone who responded on my last topic. You definitely answered my questions. So now I want to talk about the Sumerian Tablets, which apparently pre-date the Bible and even share similar stories like the great flood and creation. So how do we know that the Sumerian Tablets aren't true and that maybe the stories in the Old Testament were just copied from these tablets?

Before I answer your questions please tell me who is the Lord Jesus Christ to you?

And..

Do you believe the bible to be the inspired Word of God?

This is what I'm trying to figure out. I gave my life to Christ around a year ago, but I've been really struggling with my faith and trying to figure it out if what I believe is really true. It's hard for me to answer these questions because I'm in such a gray area right now. I want to say that Jesus is God. I want to say that the bible is the Word of God. But I've realized that my faith has more or less been blind faith. That's what I don't want. I want a faith where I am absolutely certain, without second guessing, that what I believe is true.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

This is the mythology of man, not the word of God.  It is mythology, not truth. Just as Greek mythology is not the truth, but myths, so is this. You can read more here.  Even the scholars who have studied these tablets recognize them as not being inspired by God at all, but just the story of one civilization.  The study states "there was no clearly recognizable trace of Sumer or its people and language in the entire Biblical, classical, and post-classical literature."

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.24
  • Days Won:  115

So thanks to everyone who responded on my last topic. You definitely answered my questions. So now I want to talk about the Sumerian Tablets, which apparently pre-date the Bible and even share similar stories like the great flood and creation. So how do we know that the Sumerian Tablets aren't true and that maybe the stories in the Old Testament were just copied from these tablets?

Before I answer your questions please tell me who is the Lord Jesus Christ to you?

And..

Do you believe the bible to be the inspired Word of God?

This is what I'm trying to figure out. I gave my life to Christ around a year ago, but I've been really struggling with my faith and trying to figure it out if what I believe is really true. It's hard for me to answer these questions because I'm in such a gray area right now. I want to say that Jesus is God. I want to say that the bible is the Word of God. But I've realized that my faith has more or less been blind faith. That's what I don't want. I want a faith where I am absolutely certain, without second guessing, that what I believe is true.

Scripture tells us that our faith grows as we study His word.  If His words are not true, how can it produce faith?  We are told in Romans 10:17 "So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."  They did not have printing presses, so scripture was spoken and not read by the common man.  Today, we have scripture to read for ourselves and the Holy Spirit to teach us all truth.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  595
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,036
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

i don't think you will find the answer to that question in the Bible itself.  First of all, how do you know that the Sumerian tablets are older than the information in the Bible.

Lamech, who was Noah's father, was 60 years old when Adam died.  He could have had first hand information to pass on to Noah that would span the information across the flood.   How much of the Fathers plans the dark side may of known is not known for sure, but the books of Enoch spelled out what to expect pretty detailed and that was talked about when Jesus was here.    Abraham was 58 years old when Noah died,  

After the flood it would seem that the dark side would start stories of that nature and mix them with pre-flood history and shortly after the flood to make it seem that the Sumerian tablet stories came first.    One has to also question the present day video's that a lot of this comes from (zeitgeist for instance) for they don't even get the myths correct when they make their comparisons.

One could take parts and compare them, but not knowing which view of the Sumerian story you have been exposed to it would take a book to discuss it and then not be a good thing to air where young impressionable people could get interested and go off the deep end of the dark side of the pool.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I want a faith where I am absolutely certain, without second guessing, that what I believe is true.

The faith you seek is in His Word, just as OneLight says. The more you read, the more you meditate on the Word, the stronger your faith will grow. I just read Isiah 53 again, and it just reinforces my faith every time I do. 700 years before Jesus came, and offered Himself as a sacrifice to God, for us, Isiah told us it would happen.

That is true faith. To know, without doubt, that God's Word is true, and the bible is a book of promises, some fulfilled, some yet to be, but all to be fulfilled before He comes again.

I had never heard this claim before, so I did a search and this is what I found at Wikepedia.  The Sumerian text was found on a single fragmentary tablet excavated in Nippur.  It is thought to date back to 1600 B.C., but nobody knows for sure?  This may make it older than the date the Bible was put together as we know it, into a compilation of 66 books, but it doesn't make it older than the original Hebrew manuscripts.  A lot of atheist groups like to make claims like this to shake people's faith, but it should have the opposite effect.  It shows that they acknowledge a world wide flood did occur, and simply created their own mythology based on Biblical truth.  Satan will often create a counterfeit of what is genuine. 

Let me ask you something, if you don't mind?  You say you became a Christian, but have come to struggle with your faith?  Have you been spending time with non-believers and outright atheists, and have they been picking away at scripture, or have you just been going on-line and seeking out alternatives to faith in the Bible?  Either way, I can tell you first hand there are many people out there with an agenda, usually a political one, that spend all their time trying to shake the faith of Christians.  They do this because they are trying to reduce the Christian influence on society, because we hinder them when it comes to elections.  They look to government as their god, and we trust in the God of the Bible.  I am not trying to turn this into a politcal discussion, but just telling you why unbelievers are working so hard to shake our faith.

I think it goes a little bit deeper than that.   :)

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  18
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/28/1993

Let me ask you something, if you don't mind?  You say you became a Christian, but have come to struggle with your faith?  Have you been spending time with non-believers and outright atheists, and have they been picking away at scripture, or have you just been going on-line and seeking out alternatives to faith in the Bible?  Either way, I can tell you first hand there are many people out there with an agenda, usually a political one, that spend all their time trying to shake the faith of Christians.  They do this because they are trying to reduce the Christian influence on society, because we hinder them when it comes to elections.  They look to government as their god, and we trust in the God of the Bible.  I am not trying to turn this into a politcal discussion, but just telling you why unbelievers are working so hard to shake our faith. 

Thanks for asking, actually. It has nothing to do with the people I hang out with. In fact, most people I do spend time with are believers. There was a certain event that happened around the labor day weekend that caused all of this questioning of my faith. I was almost in a really bad car wreck. If I hadn't reacted the right way, I would have been dead. No doubt about it. So I started really thinking about what had happened later that night, thinking about what if I had gotten hit, what if I had died. And when I started thinking about what if I had died, I started questioning where I would have gone even despite my faith and despite what the bible says about us having a secure place in heaven because of our faith. I kept thinking about this and then I started to have a lot of doubts. So that's when I started researching whether or not the God that exists is the Christian God/if there is a God.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.90
  • Days Won:  33

What is interesting is that the Genesis accounts existed as oral tradition for a long time before they were written down. So when they say that the other accounts predate Genesis... what do they really mean?

I am not even sure that predating one piece of literature before another means anything. At best we have flaky similarity... who is to say that the sumerians didn't copy the hebrews?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  757
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  04/24/1957

@ Soggy Cactus....

Thanks for asking, actually. It has nothing to do with the people I hang out with. In fact, most people I do spend time with are believers. There was a certain event that happened around the labor day weekend that caused all of this questioning of my faith. I was almost in a really bad car wreck. If I hadn't reacted the right way, I would have been dead. No doubt about it. So I started really thinking about what had happened later that night, thinking about what if I had gotten hit, what if I had died. And when I started thinking about what if I had died, I started questioning where I would have gone even despite my faith and despite what the bible says about us having a secure place in heaven because of our faith. I kept thinking about this and then I started to have a lot of doubts. So that's when I started researching whether or not the God that exists is the Christian God/if there is a God.

I'm gonna tell you a true story...

I was out driving, suddenly for no reason, in my minds eye i saw an accident happening.....

So I sent a quick prayer up to the LORD...LORD JESUS please intervein , i don't know what's goin on BUT YOU DO!..THANK YOU LORD!..Amen

Then i made my intended right turn,as i made that turn, in thye lane going the opposite direction, i heard the sound of squeelin ties, looked in my rear view mirror and saw smoke and a suv heading to the shoulder of the road to avoid hittine the cars in front of them....

for which i whispered THANK YOU LORD!.....

Could the LORD have used any of HIS Children to interced in this situation..YES!...BUT He chose me that morning.....

you see sometimes we all go thru times when we think our prayers aren't gettin past the ceiling.....

I was goin thru one of those times.....HE Used this situation to whisper to me, "Daughter , I hear you always"......

Cactus,there have been times in my life when i should have died.....times when I begged HIM to take me home.....HE Didn't.....Right now HE needs me here...as HE does you Brother!!

So perhap's a better question for you to ask HIM is "FATHER what can I do for you"...just a thought..

GBU!

I had never heard this claim before, so I did a search and this is what I found at Wikepedia.  The Sumerian text was found on a single fragmentary tablet excavated in Nippur.  It is thought to date back to 1600 B.C., but nobody knows for sure?  This may make it older than the date the Bible was put together as we know it, into a compilation of 66 books, but it doesn't make it older than the original Hebrew manuscripts.  A lot of atheist groups like to make claims like this to shake people's faith, but it should have the opposite effect.  It shows that they acknowledge a world wide flood did occur, and simply created their own mythology based on Biblical truth.  Satan will often create a counterfeit of what is genuine. 

I think it goes a little bit deeper than that.   :)

There are spiritual reasons for everything we see taking place in the natural, but in my experience, most of the people that go around trying to convince us God is not real are poliitcally liberal, and they have a problem with us because we hinder the advancement of their agenda.  I believe that in the natural, a political agenda is what is behind those who are trying to shake our faith, at least for the most part?  Of course, there are also some who genuinely choose to serve Satan, and are attacking God in service to him. 

I don't think the devil really cares who wins the election. And I don't think God put His stamp of approval on the conservative agenda.