Sign in to follow this  
Ovedya

Off-Color Jokes

"Hold to a pattern of the healthy words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus." (2 Tim. 1:13)

"The younger men likewise exhort to be of sober mind, concerning all things presenting yourself as a pattern of good works: in your teaching showing incorruption, gravity, healthy speech that cannot be condemned, that he who opposes may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us." (Titus 2:6-8)

An "off-color joke" is defined as a joke that exhibits poor taste. It is one that is not told in good health or good spirits. An off-color joke is sometimes one that intentionally points out a specific likeness or quality of a certain kind of person or group of people and pushes them to the extreme. Most of us have heard jokes about blondes, the Irish, or the Polish. These types of jokes usually push a quality or characteristic to the abnormal extreme. For example, "blonde jokes" are hinged on the supposed extreme stupidity of people with blonde hair.

But while we might believe that the "blonde joke" is just a poke at blonde people, and is really not intended to harm anyone, some believers might take offense. So we really need to be careful when telling these "off-color" jokes.

Now, I understand perfectly well that to make fun of ourselves is sometimes fun. And I believe that sometimes we take ourselves WAY to seriously. But as believers we really should take extra care of the how our words might be perceived by others. We are ambassadors of Christ! We should conduct ourselves as such.

This is not intended as a word of condemnation for the saints here. Rather, it is intended to encourage us all to uplift our speech, and to remember that we ought to always display Christ in our mannerisms and behavior. Let us all be mindful of our Lord's words in Matthew 5:16, to let our light shine before men, and conduct ourselves accordingly.

Grace to you,

~G

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Loved it! 1

Thank you so much, GMan....I hope people will really hear this message with their hearts.

I know we all just wanna have a little fun...understandable. In some cases, we know it's "okay"...but it's important to be sensitive to people.

I AM blonde and it used to hurt me deeply when people would tell blonde jokes because I grew up in a home where my parents used to tell me I'd never amount to anything.

I believed them. Still, I went out and proved them wrong and graduated with a Bachelors in Business and Master's in Education ...both with top honors.

Some people like to mock people who are overweight or too thin, thinking it's funny.....never considering whether the person has a severe thyroid condition making them too thin or heavy. People just stereotype everyone who's too thin as being "anorexic" or too thick as "eating too much".

They don't know your medical conditions, do they?

I agree with you, GMAN...and glad to hear somebody speak up for all the people who are living in quiet desperation and shame.

Greetings Catsmeow,

Well if there is anything to the "timing" of God-man's post, I would say it correlated pretty well with my posting of "things to say to a liberal". However, I believe you did a very good job of clarifying what should be posted and what should not:

I agree with you, GMAN...and glad to hear somebody speak up for all the people who are living in quiet desperation and shame.

So if you are listening in God-man, I do not consider that the "liberal's" have the mind of Christ; I do not believe they are living in "quiet desperation" and they are certainly not ashamed of the view which they hold.

I usually listen to Michael Medved nightly. He is pretty much an Orthodox Jew, with a pretty conservative viewpoint and esteems TRUE Christians and "conservative America", even if there are disagreements in religions. His whole radio show is to encourage the mal-contents, usually liberal Democrats, to call in and discuss issues. He is very courteous and allows the caller to vent his/her disdain for the conservatives, and calmly responds to them from his vast knowledge of what America is all about. It is absolutely unreal how vehement and testy these liberals get, I am talking PURE HATE towards the conservatives. You should listen to him some time just to get a feel for what is coming from the liberal side.

The other day I had to go to the VA Hospital in Portland. As I was leaving, I caught just a portion of a woman's dialogue with another party and it has been years since I heard such hatred and filth coming from anyone which was all directed at President Bush AND the conservatives.

More and more I see a rising tide of hate toward anyone that expresses conservatism, and worse so with those who would dare to believe the Bible.

Well I hope my poking fun at the liberal's plight was NOT TOO off-color. Like Catsmeow, it left me in histerics.

If, as I hope, America will never again suffer a Democrat as President, my prayer is that the liberals will see our joy and blessings at the hand of God and become jealous enough to truly "seek the truth" of the matter.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

DE: You put that very eloquently but frankly, I'm a little scared right now.

Check this out....

Betrayal WITHIN the Body of Christ

Matthew 10:21 "Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child; and children R348 will rise up against parents and cause them to be put to death. 22 "You will be hated by all because of My name, but it is the one who has endured to the end who will be saved.

God's Wrath :24: :

Matthew 10:28 "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul; but rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Mass Chaos :24: :

Matthew 10:34 "Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 "For I came to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in law against her mother-in-law; 36 and a man's enemies will be the members of his own household."

Side Note from Catsmeow:

Look, I'm not a prophet and by no means am I a theologian or profound thinker. I know how to read and based on what I'm reading here...it doesn't look too good.

Greetings Catsmeow,

Do not fear. Some things to think about:

Luke 21:28 And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

James 5:8 Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

John 16:20 Verily, verily, I say unto you, That ye shall weep and lament, but the world shall rejoice: and ye shall be sorrowful, but your sorrow shall be turned into joy.

Revelation 11:9-10 And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days and an half, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves. 10 And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

DE,

No worries, bro. I actually just pinned that topic because the Lord was convicting me to speak something concerning the subject of off-color jokes. It didn't have anything to do with a particular post. :)

Thanks God-Man,

I certainly did not post to offend anyone, but just to get a good laugh. :)

Blessings,

Dad Ernie

Guest Your_love_is_the_anchor
People like to mock people who are overweight or too thin, thinking it's cute or funny.....never considering whether the person has a severe thyroid condition making them too thin or too thick. People just stereotype everyone who's too thin as being "anorexic" or too thick as "eating too much".

They don't know your medical conditions, do they?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Even if that was true, it would still be unkind of someone to mention it in a joking way.

I don't think there's too many brands of humor where somebody doesn't take the butt end of a joke.

I guess the safest person to nail with a joke is yer self as long as you don't take you to seriously

Sign in to follow this