Sign in to follow this  
Ovedya

Off-Color Jokes

I find that jokes about marriage are offensive. Marriages have enough trouble in this world without pointing out our differences and causing dissention between men and women.

I just don't think it's right to make husbands and wives look bad.

you do have a point there...I don't mind so much like the one about the older couple eating at mcdonalds and sharing everything...i thought that was cute. It showed me that even at times in my own marriage, I tend to be a little selfish...I am trying to overcome that...but as far as the ones where it makes either the wife or husband look bad...you have a point there...

"Hold to a pattern of the healthy words that you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus." (2 Tim. 1:13)

"The younger men likewise exhort to be of sober mind, concerning all things presenting yourself as a pattern of good works: in your teaching showing incorruption, gravity, healthy speech that cannot be condemned, that he who opposes may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us." (Titus 2:6-8)

An "off-color joke" is defined as a joke that exhibits poor taste. It is one that is not told in good health or good spirits. An off-color joke is sometimes one that intentionally points out a specific likeness or quality of a certain kind of person or group of people and pushes them to the extreme. Most of us have heard jokes about blondes, the Irish, or the Polish. These types of jokes usually push a quality or characteristic to the abnormal extreme. For example, "blonde jokes" are hinged on the supposed extreme stupidity of people with blonde hair.

But while we might believe that the "blonde joke" is just a poke at blonde people, and is really not intended to harm anyone, some believers might take offense. So we really need to be careful when telling these "off-color" jokes.

Now, I understand perfectly well that to make fun of ourselves is sometimes fun. And I believe that sometimes we take ourselves WAY to seriously. But as believers we really should take extra care of the how our words might be perceived by others. We are ambassadors of Christ! We should conduct ourselves as such.

This is not intended as a word of condemnation for the saints here. Rather, it is intended to encourage us all to uplift our speech, and to remember that we ought to always display Christ in our mannerisms and behavior. Let us all be mindful of our Lord's words in Matthew 5:16, to let our light shine before men, and conduct ourselves accordingly.

Grace to you,

~G

THANK YOU OVEDYA !!! :emot-hug:

Any joke can sound offensive given the right atmospheric influences(spiritual warfare).

That's why we should use very careful wording so as not to offend anyone.

Some words can be offensive, given the location of the listener. I, personally, am not offended by what

most people consider "offensive language". My philosophy on curse words is, who wrote the new commandments?

But I choose not to use them(i try my hardest, anyway) because we, as Christians, need to be mannerly.

Is poor language a sin? I don't believe so. I enjoy reading these pages through gizoogle occasionally, mood willing. But not many people can handle that. Their taste in humor is more insulting people than silly language differences. Amazing how a Christian can huff and puff if a curse word is used but make a joke on a "stupid" person and "it's all in good fun".

How about green and purple jokes?

I told an off-white joke the other day. No one really got it...

lol I had to read that twice. I get it. :)

"I had to read that twice. I get it."

If we weren't in the off-color joke post I would comment... :)

It is absolutely unreal how vehement and testy these liberals get, I am talking PURE HATE towards the conservatives.

I get accused of being a liberal by the conservatives. I have even heard of conservatives talk show host basically urging their listeners to waste someone so he can be example to the rest. Then there's the one's who actually do it--Paul Hill for instance.

There's a simply reason why we have extremists of both stripes: the devil is trying to divide us and get us to fight each oither instead of lending a helping hand and a caring shoulder; that, and the fact that the people involved aren't all that bright.

Because inquity shall abound the love of many shall wax cold. And then shall the end come. Can't wait to get off this rock and away for the idjuts. :th_praying:

Thank you so much, GMan....I hope people will really hear this message with their hearts.

I know we all just wanna have a little fun...understandable. In some cases, we know it's "okay"...but it's important to be sensitive to people.

I AM blonde and it used to hurt me deeply when people would tell blonde jokes because I grew up in a home where my parents used to tell me I'd never amount to anything.

I believed them. Still, I went out and proved them wrong and graduated with a Bachelors in Business and Master's in Education ...both with top honors.

Some people like to mock people who are overweight or too thin, thinking it's funny.....never considering whether the person has a severe thyroid condition making them too thin or heavy. People just stereotype everyone who's too thin as being "anorexic" or too thick as "eating too much".

They don't know your medical conditions, do they?

I agree with you, GMAN...and glad to hear somebody speak up for all the people who are living in quiet desperation and shame.

heard and understood :whistling:

Guest danabe

Hi!

Well... everyone has his one taste of humor.

I am from the Philippines, and believe me- fashion here is colored hair. You'll be amazed how some people here would color their hair just to be blond. And, ever heard of "Papaya" soap and many other soaps in our market that promises skin-white? There are also medicines one can take.

So, it really doesn't matter. What matters most is the way you perceive yourself.

Feel good. Feel God in your life! :laugh:

Thank you so much, GMan....I hope people will really hear this message with their hearts.

I know we all just wanna have a little fun...understandable. In some cases, we know it's "okay"...but it's important to be sensitive to people.

I AM blonde and it used to hurt me deeply when people would tell blonde jokes because I grew up in a home where my parents used to tell me I'd never amount to anything.

I believed them. Still, I went out and proved them wrong and graduated with a Bachelors in Business and Master's in Education ...both with top honors.

Some people like to mock people who are overweight or too thin, thinking it's funny.....never considering whether the person has a severe thyroid condition making them too thin or heavy. People just stereotype everyone who's too thin as being "anorexic" or too thick as "eating too much".

They don't know your medical conditions, do they?

I agree with you, GMAN...and glad to hear somebody speak up for all the people who are living in quiet desperation and shame.

Sign in to follow this