• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.02
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

My answer to that is go to the pound and adopt a dog that needs a home.  While Truff is adorable I would never go to a breeder.  My heart goes for the ones who are in a pound and need homes.  Yes dogs cost money but I can tell you for sure all our dogs, adopted and found on the streets are just as wonderful.  My sister is a breeder of Saint Bernard's but she will not sell to anyone she does not know and most of them go to show homes.  However she is a huge believer is going to a pound and getting a mixed breed, you get the best of both worlds.  And by the way males are not more aggressive then females I have had both.  She will also tell you that mixed breeds are healthier then pure breeds. I have nothing against breeders if they are responsible but so many are not.  I encourage people to do their homework when getting a dog.  Know the breed.  The best thing about a dog, is they just plain, flat out love you with no questions asked.  I know that if would have had to walk back into an empty house the day I lost my husband I don't know what I would have done.  Instead I walked into a house with three dogs who gathered around me and stuck next to me and were always there.  I believe the cost to be worth it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

My answer to that is go to the pound and adopt a dog that needs a home.  While Truff is adorable I would never go to a breeder.  My heart goes for the ones who are in a pound and need homes.  Yes dogs cost money but I can tell you for sure all our dogs, adopted and found on the streets are just as wonderful.  My sister is a breeder of Saint Bernard's but she will not sell to anyone she does not know and most of them go to show homes.  However she is a huge believer is going to a pound and getting a mixed breed, you get the best of both worlds.  And by the way males are not more aggressive then females I have had both.  She will also tell you that mixed breeds are healthier then pure breeds. I have nothing against breeders if they are responsible but so many are not.  I encourage people to do their homework when getting a dog.  Know the breed.  The best thing about a dog, is they just plain, flat out love you with no questions asked.  I know that if would have had to walk back into an empty house the day I lost my husband I don't know what I would have done.  Instead I walked into a house with three dogs who gathered around me and stuck next to me and were always there.  I believe the cost to be worth it.

Yes they are.I had a mixed breed and she was really a sweetheart.Very good with the kids and very healthy.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

For clarification I'm not against having pets. Like I said we had pets growing up. I think they're wonderful. In particular I think they're good when there is a wide gap in age between siblings. My parents got youngest my sister a Labrador whenever the other siblings went off to college to help cope with the transition.

My concern is when people who don't have enough money to support their own needs (food, clothes, shelter, transportation) buy and/or adopt pets. But again perhaps this is due to the desire to help people cope with difficult situations.

Let me illustrate. I have cousins who had a couple of horses, a few dogs, and quite a few cats. Both parents worked yet they were always in financial distress. From what I gather this was due to living outside their means - they spent more money than they made. Our concern was when they didn't have enough money for groceries for their four children and yet bought feed for the horses, dog food, and cat food...

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

For clarification I'm not against having pets. Like I said we had pets growing up. I think they're wonderful. In particular I think they're good when there is a wide gap in age between siblings. My parents got youngest my sister a Labrador whenever the other siblings went off to college to help cope with the transition.

My concern is when people who don't have enough money to support their own needs (food, clothes, shelter, transportation) buy and/or adopt pets. But again perhaps this is due to the desire to help people cope with difficult situations.

Let me illustrate. I have cousins who had a couple of horses, a few dogs, and quite a few cats. Both parents worked yet they were always in financial distress. From what I gather this was due to living outside their means - they spent more money than they made. Our concern was when they didn't have enough money for groceries for their four children and yet bought feed for the horses, dog food, and cat food...

God bless,

GE

I think the saddest issue with having pets are people who are not responsible pet owners.They have them for a couple of months and decide they do not like them or can not afford them then they give them to the pound.This is especially commons with bunnies at Easter.Yes,you have to do your research.Know how much a pet is going to cost you.Do research on what kind of a pet is best for your family and the best personality that fits your family.What is going to happen to that pet when both husband and wife work and no one is home during the day.Take it seriously when purchasing a pet that will be with you for the pets life time.

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Dogs are expensive but worth it. When we got ours we probably shouldn't have we technically could not afford him money wise. However, the dogs become part of the family and we can't afford not to have him right now, that's how well integrated into the family he is.

• 1 month later...

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  236
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  05/29/1971

Things can get expensive but it depends on the situation.  My kitty for the past couple of years came from this large feral community.  We've asked the city/neighbors for help to no avail.  I try and keep them fed but am in no physical condition to run down 30+ feral cat.  I even brought 5 down to the humane society and they practically butchered them nuetering them and dropped them off on my front door!  Unreal...

Anyway I befriended a group of orange kitties and all but one got run over =(  I went ahead and made him an inside cat and he definitely lives in comfort these days- fat lil bugger!  He still has a few quirks from living outside for 2 years but he's a good little snuggle buddy.  He's been through around 10 names and I've kind of settled on Little Bubba now lol.

I'm a sucker for animals of all kinds.

tHqDhn5.jpg

Nothing would make me give up my dogs.  They are basically they are the only family I have.  They gave me grate comfort when I lost my husband.  

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Nothing would make me give up my dogs.  They are basically they are the only family I have.  They gave me grate comfort when I lost my husband.  

So sorry for your loss sister... yes pets can be wonderful companions and dogs in particular are very loyal :) GBU

So sorry for your loss sister... yes pets can be wonderful companions and dogs in particular are very loyal :) GBU

Thank you Golden.  GBU too my brother!

• Followers:  28
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,696
  • Content Per Day:  2.46
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Just got a new dog, he's a almost 1 year old German Shepherd named kado. Bought him from a coworker who had to give him up since he was moving. The lab in the picture is duke, my other dog. I was trying to get a good photo of both but they wouldn't cooperate lol.

IMG_20131119_222248_686_zpsac41eba1.jpg