GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

I'm sure this may or may not be what people want to hear. But for those struggling with debt and making ends meet this might be a wake-up call.

Do you have a budget, emergency fund, are you struggling financially? Do you have a pet? How much do you spend on it each year?

God bless,

GE

The Real Cost of a Dog

A while back I wrote about getting pet health insurance, and how it was an extra expense that we probably won’t be adding soon. Since then, I’ve quickly realized that the total cost of owing a pet is worth its own post, so take a look at all the expenses we’ve occurred in just two months.

The Cost of a Pet

We bought a chocolate lab a while back and spent $400 on it. The male puppies were $300, but we wanted a female because my wife suggested she might be a little less aggressive. Truffle (or Truff for short) is a cool dog, and we treated the cost as a big Christmas gift to each other. Little did I know how much she would really cost. (Hint: It’s not $400)

LabradorRetrieverMollyChocLabPurebredDog

The Bed, Crate, and Toys

You can’t just buy a pet without stopping at PetsMart on the way home. We knew she’d grow like a weed, so we bought the ‘large’ sizes to avoid spending all this money again to upgrade (beds, crates, etc).

• Fluffy dog bed: $40
  • Crate (for house-training / sleeping): $150
  • Toys, food, leash, collar, and treats: $100

Yep, we spent nearly $300 in accessories that first day. If you think $100 is way too much for toys, food, a leash, a collar, and treats, think again. (Don’t worry, I thought that too.)

• Food: $40
  • 4-5 toys: $30
  • Treats: $10
  • Leash: $10
  • Collar: $10
Vet Bills

I should have gone to school to be a vet . . . . We walked out the first time with a bill of $87. That included the cost of the exam, booster shots, and flea treatment.

Vet Bills (Round 2)

You guessed it, one month later, she needed another examination so we dropped another $80 bucks.

Vet Bills (Round 3)

This was a doozy. This month she was spayed, micro-chipped (in case she’s lost) and had her third boosters and all sorts of flea/mite/puppy treatments that definitely aren’t free.

Total cost for this bill: $353 (Ouch!)

Monthly Costs

I calculated that she’d go through about a bag of food a month, and it’ll cost us about $30 just in food. Treats aren’t that bad as a box can last two months, so that’s like $4-5 a month. She is pretty rough with her toys (better than my furniture) and we can spend about $5 a month on a toy or two.

Total Costs so Far

About $1,245 . . . in just two months. Ouch that hurts!

If you’re trying to save money and get out of debt or save up for a small car, don’t get a pet. We love our dog, but she’s not cheap!

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

They are so sweet.It is so tempting to take it home but yes,you need to be a responsible pet owner.They can be very expensive.When you buy a pet it should be for their lifetime.It is wise to get pet insurance.That will add to your monthly expense.The food the vet bills the bedding.My cat had a thyrod disorder and she had to be on medication.The insurance does not pay for that.It was very expensive.My vet told me that it breaks her heart when people come to her and tell her to put an animal to sleep just because they can not afford them.Before making a decision to take that sweet little thing home.....can you afford them?Can you commit to them love them and care for them better or for worse :mgcheerful: until they die?

kitten11926.jpg

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

I agree, the cost of owning a pet is expensive, but not as expensive as the OP has calcuulated because many of the charges included are not necessary and can be removed.

As a long time Doxie owner, and breeder, I do not give my dog any over the counter pet treats.  Most "reliable vets" will tell you they are unhealthy for you pet, and contribute to putting on unwanted weight for your pet which will cause more high vet bills in the future when this happens.  Those otc pet treats for the most part are loaded with carbs and react on your pet just as they do people.  I substitute organic carrots or green beans with little or not calories and are very inexpensive.  My doxie also loves apples, so I give him pieces of pealed  apples at whim. 

Most of the otc toys are toxic and or dangerous.    One or two good quality chew bones is sufficient.  Micro chip is an added expense that is not needed.  A dog harnessr with a dog charm with owners name, address and phone # in case your pet gets loose will do fine.  As far as having your pet spayed/nuder, most animal rescue places will do it for a fraction of the price, so shop around.

As far as flea and tick treatments, you can make them yourself very inexpensively and  naturally with no toxic chemicals using a few drops of insectidal essential oils and your pet will love you for it.

One cost I did not anticipate last year was  when my little doxie "Bear", who was only six months old, swallow a whole acorn and I had to rush him to Cornell University School and Hospital for Vet Medicine.  I had him to two vets prior to who could not find anything wrong.  He almost died when I rushed  him in the middle of the night to Cornell Vet. Hospital in Ithaca, NY and he was in surgery by 6 AM to remove a $2300 acorn lodged in his intestines that was causing an obstruction.  I had to pay  $1700 upfront, and the hospital paid the difference of $600, through a grant donation.

Meet "Bear"

037.jpg?w=598

I agree, the cost of owning a pet is expensive, but not as expensive as the OP has calcuulated because many of the charges included are not necessary and can be removed.

As a long time Doxie owner, and breeder, I do not give my dog any over the counter pet treats.  Most "reliable vets" will tell you they are unhealthy for you pet, and contribute to putting on unwanted weight for your pet which will cause more high vet bills in the future when this happens.  Those otc pet treats for the most part are loaded with carbs and react on your pet just as they do people.  I substitute organic carrots or green beans with little or not calories and are very inexpensive.  My doxie also loves apples, so I give him pieces of pealed  apples at whim. 

Most of the otc toys are toxic and or dangerous.    One or two good quality chew bones is sufficient.  Micro chip is an added expense that is not needed.  A dog collar with a dog charm with owners name, address and phone # in case your pet gets loose will do fine.

As far as flea and tick treatments, you can make them yourself very inexpensively and  naturally with no toxic chemicals using a few drops of insectidal essential oils and your pet will love you for it.

One cost I did not anticipate last year was  when my little doxie "Bear", who was only six months old, swallow a whole acorn and I had to rush him to Cornell University School and Hospital for Vet Medicine.  I had him to two vets prior who could not find anything wrong.  He almost died when I took him in the middle of the night to Cornell Vet. Hospital in Ithaca, NY and he was in surgery by 6 AM to remove a $2300 acorn lodged in his intestines that was causing an obstruction.  I had to pay  $1700 upfront, and the hospital paid the difference of $600, through a grant donation.

Meet "Bear"

037.jpg?w=598

Yes,my brother was a vet.He used to scold us when we gave our dog table food of any kind.He said it is really bad for them.It causes allergies and all kinds of bad things.Bear is cute.I have always loved Doxie's and I have always wanted one.Several people who have them told me they are quite stubborn and difficult to potty train.So I have opted out.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.96
  • Days Won:  14

Undoubtedly the cost of owning a pet is not insignificant if the money is necessary for regular expenses - however there is so much pleasure, love and company that they give that the cost is overlooked by most. Putting a pet down is one of the most difficult things one can do.

Undoubtedly the cost of owning a pet is not insignificant if the money is necessary for regular expenses - however there is so much pleasure, love and company that they give that the cost is overlooked by most. Putting a pet down is one of the most difficult things one can do.

Yes,I have had to put two pets down.It is incredibly difficult.That is one reason I do not want another pet and more heartache.I think a person needs to know that their budget will allow for a pet considering the cost.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

Yes,my brother was a vet.He used to scold us when we gave our dog table food of any kind.He said it is really bad for them.It causes allergies and all kinds of bad things.Bear is cute.I have always loved Doxie's and I have always wanted one.Several people who have them told me they are quite stubborn and difficult to potty train.So I have opted out.

The vets at Cornell School for Veterninary Medicine, which is one of the best in the country, advised me to give Bear raw Carrots, green beans (cooked), apples and so forth for treats and snacks  because of their nutritional value and exeptionally low calorie count.

Doxie's are not hard to potty train.  In fact, I have found the opposite to be true.  They are an exeptionally clean dog, and very intelligent.  My hubby has a female, where Bear was bred from and he built a corral around the birthing area and the pups were all paper trained before sold.  We have had contact with the people who bought the pups, and both said that whenever it was time to go potty, the pups would go right to the door to let the master know it was time to take him/her out.  It all depends upon if the breeder took the time to train the pups at an early age.  In our case, the pups went right from their birthing are to paper, and then an expanded carrol area with paper and we never had a problem with potty training  any of them.  When we let them out of the corral area  in the middle of the night when they woke up  to run around for exerise until they would get tired, we had paper placed in various areas and they would run right to it and go.

But they are very stubborn and demanding in other ways, because they are so intelligent, they like to be in control all the time.  Again, it takes training and they are very obedient when trained,   and loyal.

From checking on-line their are vets who recommend a very select table food for your animal and some who do not.

Their seems to be a differing of opinion.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.01
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Get a cat for free. 

You can catch one in any alley in most big cities. Wear gloves.....

Once you have tamed it (after about a zillion weeks), it will own you.

Seriously.

Dogs have owners, cats have staff. And at least you can fling it out into the garden by it's tail so that it can catch it's own food.

What's the problem?

Get a cat for free. 

You can catch one in any alley in most big cities. Wear gloves.....

Once you have tamed it (after about a zillion weeks), it will own you.

Seriously.

Dogs have owners, cats have staff. And at least you can fling it out into the garden by it's tail so that it can catch it's own food.

What's the problem?

Well....the problem with  that is I still have scars from trying to rescue a cute little kitty with my tender heart.Ever heard of Cat Scratch Fever?You might end up with a spendy little hospital stay with that stuff.....Not good.Bad Boy Fez Bad advise. :45: I can tell you love cats.

cff1689f519ff22174d3287668a5f138.jpgBe afraid....Be very afraid.

• Haha 1