GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

They are so sweet.It is so tempting to take it home but yes,you need to be a responsible pet owner.They can be very expensive.When you buy a pet it should be for their lifetime.It is wise to get pet insurance.That will add to your monthly expense.The food the vet bills the bedding.My cat had a thyrod disorder and she had to be on medication.The insurance does not pay for that.It was very expensive.My vet told me that it breaks her heart when people come to her and tell her to put an animal to sleep just because they can not afford them.Before making a decision to take that sweet little thing home.....can you afford them?Can you commit to them love them and care for them better or for worse :mgcheerful: until they die?

Yeah pets are wonderful companions. I had a German Shepherd and Chocolate Lab growing up. However, they can be very expensive. I think people should be very careful when adopting or buying pets particularly from a financial point of view.

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.82
  • Days Won:  44

I agree, the cost of owning a pet is expensive, but not as expensive as the OP has calcuulated because many of the charges included are not necessary and can be removed.

<snip>

One cost I did not anticipate last year was  when my little doxie "Bear", who was only six months old, swallow a whole acorn and I had to rush him to Cornell University School and Hospital for Vet Medicine.  I had him to two vets prior to who could not find anything wrong.  He almost died when I rushed  him in the middle of the night to Cornell Vet. Hospital in Ithaca, NY and he was in surgery by 6 AM to remove a $2300 acorn lodged in his intestines that was causing an obstruction.  I had to pay  $1700 upfront, and the hospital paid the difference of $600, through a grant donation.

Meet "Bear"

037.jpg?w=598

Bear is very cute. :)

Wow. $1700 for that emergency last year? What other expenses did you have?

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.14
  • Days Won:  78

LabradorRetrieverMollyChocLabPurebredDog

I agree, they're expensive if you take care of them right but.....JUST LOOK AT THAT FACE!!!!!  What a cutie.   :mgcheerful:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  98
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,260
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  0

I agree, the cost of owning a pet is expensive, but not as expensive as the OP has calcuulated because many of the charges included are not necessary and can be removed.

<snip>

One cost I did not anticipate last year was  when my little doxie "Bear", who was only six months old, swallow a whole acorn and I had to rush him to Cornell University School and Hospital for Vet Medicine.  I had him to two vets prior to who could not find anything wrong.  He almost died when I rushed  him in the middle of the night to Cornell Vet. Hospital in Ithaca, NY and he was in surgery by 6 AM to remove a $2300 acorn lodged in his intestines that was causing an obstruction.  I had to pay  $1700 upfront, and the hospital paid the difference of $600, through a grant donation.

Meet "Bear"

037.jpg?w=598

God bless,

GE

LOL :mgcheerful:     Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine not only is one of the top Veterinary Schools in America, it has a top notch on campus Hospital For Animals which not only includes dogs, but horses, cows, Farm Hospital,  and anything with four legs and more.  It has a fully equipped pharmacy with registered pharmacists, and resident interns studying Veterinary Medicine, a 24 hour emergency service  room, an Intensive Care Unit (where Bear was after his surgery), licensed Vet. Techs. who care for all animals around the clock., and state of the art medical equipment. Other than the drive to and from Ithaca, NY which is one hour away from where I live,  and pain medicine, (which Bear was allergic to and could not take when I got him home) I did not have any more expenses.  I had to take Bear back once because he wouldn't keep his cone on and he started to tear his incision open.  The  white patches in the pic. are from where he was shaven for surgery as he had three  IV lines in him.The resident intern assigned to Bear  called my every day to keep me informed of Bear's progress.

As far as cost, I would  give my last penny to save Bear, because he is worth it.  He would have died without the surgery.  I believe all animals are  a gift from God.  I am partial to doxies, I admit because doxies display   the attributes of God's character.  Their  love is unconditional, they are    always glad to see you, are very sad when you leave them, they are always there  waiting at the door  for you to return after you have left, and no matter how mad you get at them, they are eager to forgive you.

What more can you ask for?

From its web page:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/hospital/

The Cornell University Hospital for Animals, located in Ithaca, NY, is a teaching hospital with a team of board certified veterinarians, residents, interns and licensed veterinary technicians that performs cutting edge veterinary medicine. The Companion Animal Hospital, the Equine Hospital, Farm Animal Hospital, Janet L. Swanson Wildlife Health Center and the Ambulatory Production Medicine Service offer emergency, specialty and primary care services to all species including dogs, cats, exotic pets, wildlife, zoo animals, equine and farm animals. Whether the patient is big or small, and their condition common or complex, we strive to keep clients and referring veterinarians informed about the treatment options/recommendations, prognosis and costs at all times.

Picture of Cornell Hospital For Animals

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

They are so sweet.It is so tempting to take it home but yes,you need to be a responsible pet owner.They can be very expensive.When you buy a pet it should be for their lifetime.It is wise to get pet insurance.That will add to your monthly expense.The food the vet bills the bedding.My cat had a thyrod disorder and she had to be on medication.The insurance does not pay for that.It was very expensive.My vet told me that it breaks her heart when people come to her and tell her to put an animal to sleep just because they can not afford them.Before making a decision to take that sweet little thing home.....can you afford them?Can you commit to them love them and care for them better or for worse :mgcheerful: until they die?

Yeah pets are wonderful companions. I had a German Shepherd and Chocolate Lab growing up. However, they can be very expensive. I think people should be very careful when adopting or buying pets particularly from a financial point of view.

God bless,

GE

I have alot of respect for German Shepherds.Never go to close to a car they are guarding at the grocery store. :o I almost got my head bit off.They are very protective of their families.I think labs are really sweet dogs.One of my favorites.

<snip>

Meet "Bear"

037.jpg?w=598

God bless,

GE

LOL :mgcheerful:     Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine not only is one of the top Veterinary Schools in America, it has a top notch on campus Hospital For Animals which not only includes dogs, but horses, cows, Farm Hospital,  and anything with four legs and more.  It has a fully equipped pharmacy with registered pharmacists, and resident interns studying Veterinary Medicine, a 24 hour emergency service  room, an Intensive Care Unit (where Bear was after his surgery), licensed Vet. Techs. who care for all animals around the clock., and state of the art medical equipment. Other than the drive to and from Ithaca, NY which is one hour away from where I live,  and pain medicine, (which Bear was allergic to and could not take when I got him home) I did not have any more expenses.  I had to take Bear back once because he wouldn't keep his cone on and he started to tear his incision open.  The  white patches in the pic. are from where he was shaven for surgery as he had three  IV lines in him.The resident intern assigned to Bear  called my every day to keep me informed of Bear's progress.

As far as cost, I would  give my last penny to save Bear, because he is worth it.  He would have died without the surgery.  I believe all animals are  a gift from God.  I am partial to doxies, I admit because doxies display   the attributes of God's character.  Their  love is unconditional, they are    always glad to see you, are very sad when you leave them, they are always there  waiting at the door  for you to return after you have left, and no matter how mad you get at them, they are eager to forgive you.

What more can you ask for?

From its web page:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/hospital/

The Cornell University Hospital for Animals, located in Ithaca, NY, is a teaching hospital with a team of board certified veterinarians, residents, interns and licensed veterinary technicians that performs cutting edge veterinary medicine. The Companion Animal Hospital, the Equine Hospital, Farm Animal Hospital, Janet L. Swanson Wildlife Health Center and the Ambulatory Production Medicine Service offer emergency, specialty and primary care services to all species including dogs, cats, exotic pets, wildlife, zoo animals, equine and farm animals. Whether the patient is big or small, and their condition common or complex, we strive to keep clients and referring veterinarians informed about the treatment options/recommendations, prognosis and costs at all times.

Picture of Cornell Hospital For Animals

Yes,it is.My brother was well aware of the University.He worked with them often.My brother was a professor at the Veterinarian school at Madison Wisconsin.He was also in human research.My brother was one of the research scientist to discover the Mad Cow Disease.You can read the article if you would like me to post it. :mgcheerful:

A dog vs.a cats diary

49c817787c509f65686614c4f1ef3d68.jpg

d56614cb6cdc74d221b2b30ad157ebab.jpg

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Brothers &  Sisters!

I am an animal lover,a professional horse trainer by trade but I am currently disabled an I now must make due with a fixed income....no bid deal because as we all know Jehovah Jireh....praise the Lord.But I have a pet cat that I have had for 14yrs,it costs money to be a responsible pet owner and I always say if a person cannot devote the time and energy that every pet deserves or cannot afford a pet..then don't.Of course,I wouldn't dream of my little pal leaving me so I did my homework and found many agencies and organizations that provide assistance to pet owners in financial need that  better assist than DCF does for families!

I live in Florida,so I am sure different cities and states have different pet associations but it is well worth spending some time to look into.......My food assistance hardly can feed me but my cat has plenty from a private group that supplies all my cat food,I get vouchers from another assoc.for vet bills and my cat even gets toys and treats(He lives like a king)....Anyway,if you ever find yourself in financial crisis and have a pet please consider all options....if you don't have a pet,don't get one with the intention of other people paying for it(lol)

With love in Christ-Kwik