GoldenEagle

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  0

Shortly after we got my dog, we spent about $3,000 in vet bills.  Thankfully she is doing better.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  56
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,763
  • Content Per Day:  2.39
  • Days Won:  28

7 minutes ago, gerbilgirl said:

Shortly after we got my dog, we spent about $3,000 in vet bills.  Thankfully she is doing better.

What was wrong with your dog and did you have dog insurance?

What for kind of dog do you have Gerbil?

• 3 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,332
  • Content Per Day:  0.68

On 6/6/2016 at 0:10 PM, angels4u said:

What was wrong with your dog and did you have dog insurance?

What for kind of dog do you have Gerbil?

Sorry am just getting back to you, I haven't been on.  My dog has severe allergies and bit her tail to the point it got infected.  She needed a tail biopsy and meds.  She was doing better, no infection. but she keeps spitting out her allergy pill so she itches a lot.  Her name is Lilly.  She's a Pomeranian/Pekingese/Chihuahua mix.  No dog insurance. :(

• 1 year later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  70
  • Content Per Day:  0.03

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but, well, I'm getting a puppy soon. :P 

I've already decided on a rescue dog, and they cost ~$150-250 with all shots included, everywhere I've looked. 

What I'm worried about is the supplies and housebreaking. I do intend to buy a large crate, bed, etc. I guess harnesses will have to be upgraded. Beyond this, toys, leash, collar, treats...

I'm thinking the only monthly expense should be food, which I think is $30-40? Maybe cheaper if you subscribe somewhere online?

As to housebreaking...I've heard you can calculate by months of age: 1 month=walk every 1 hour, 2 months=2 hours, etc. So if I need to sleep through the night, I can't get a pup younger than 8-9 months?! (No yard)

And if I expect to be gainfully employed, off-line, I may need to spring for doggy daycare...? 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

1 minute ago, Daughter of God said:

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but, well, I'm getting a puppy soon. :P 

I've already decided on a rescue dog, and they cost ~$150-250 with all shots included, everywhere I've looked. 

What I'm worried about is the supplies and housebreaking. I do intend to buy a large crate, bed, etc. I guess harnesses will have to be upgraded. Beyond this, toys, leash, collar, treats...

I'm thinking the only monthly expense should be food, which I think is $30-40? Maybe cheaper if you subscribe somewhere online?

As to housebreaking...I've heard you can calculate by months of age: 1 month=walk every 1 hour, 2 months=2 hours, etc. So if I need to sleep through the night, I can't get a pup younger than 8-9 months?! (No yard)

And if I expect to be gainfully employed, off-line, I may need to spring for doggy daycare...? 

I have loved my animals. Our family had a dog and we had a cat which everyone loved.They were part of our family. They have both died which broke my heart. I was in a different financial situation when I had the animals. I think one thing a person needs to take a look at when they decide to purchase an animal is that they need to have a budget for that animal to really do it right. They need their shots and exams every year. They have to have food and accessories.You have the licensing of that animal. And what happens if that animal has health problems? Vets are very expensive unless there is one in your family. So there are some things a person needs to look at when they are going to invest in an animal and be a responsible pet owner.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,165
  • Content Per Day:  1.22

On 8/12/2017 at 6:50 PM, Daughter of God said:

As its been said having pets is quite costly especially today more so than ever.

If you want to give it quality food, proper health care, and a nice life, you need the finances to do so.

In certain countries they do offer animal health care insurance plans.

Owning dog is a bigger responsibility than a cat.

A cat is also a responsibility, however a little less than a dog.

I personalty don't think its fair to have a dog that is kept all day inside alone, while the owner goes all day to work.

with a cat you can do that.

dogs need to be walked at least twice a day or when mother nature calls. They usually love the outdoors . They like activity.

Also this is a commitment for the life of a dog that can go up to (if your lucky 15 years) depending on the breed and its general health.

As your pet will get older it will be faced with more health care attention.

Are you prepared to pay the medical bills when health issues arise?

Are there more than one person in your family to care for the dog if for any reason you must be absent?

If not, who will take care of your dog in case you are called away from home for some time?

About doggie day care, if your dog bites another dog or your dog gets bitten or gets sick by another dog, are you ready to take on the responsibility, especially financially if that arises?

Also different dog breeds bark more than others

Where you live does it allow for a noisy dog if the breed or type you choose happens to bark a lot?

Are you prepared to have neighbors complain if your dog  barks a lot, especially if you leave it alone in the day time?

Do you know that when dogs are left alone for a long time, they get bored, anxious and they can can act out and become quite disruptive and destructive?

Especially when young, as they are curious and full of energy.

Certain dog breeds are higher energy than other breeds.

Certain breed also live longer than others.

Certain breeds are more prone to certain illness than others.

Are you making your homework in selecting the right breed for you and your lifestyle

In choosing the right dog for you:

Usually a good way to select a dog once you have determined what breed you want, is by having a group of dogs together and letting the dog choose you.

The dog who chooses you, who comes to you and responds to you the most, senses it will be happy with you.

There is a lot to think about.

Dogs need to be trained to a certain extent . Do you have the time and energy & pateince to invest in being with your dog long enough to teach it basic things?

Like walking on a lead, not jumping on people, learning  to sit, lay down, come when you call it.

After a while dogs pick up cues from their owner. They usually aim to please you so will adapt to behave as best it can.

These are all serious consideration to keep in mind, especially before purchasing a dog.

Dogs are very loyal to their owners.

You will find a best friend in a dog.

There love is unconditional.

You can learn a lot from an animal.

Especially if you take the time to be with them.

They also will help you learn more about yourself as well.

If you feel you have the  time, patience, love, money,to care for a dog, you will be a blessing to it and it will be a blessing to you.

If you do not have the time, patience, love, money to care for a dog than you will be a disservice to the dog and its life will be a miserable and sad one.

There are to many dogs that are neglected, abandoned, abused. Let your choice of having a dog be one that is good for you as well as it is good and fair for the well being of your dog.

Best wishes on your responsible decision making.

Edited by 1to3