• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  201
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

Matt 24:

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth , let him understand) 16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: 17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: 18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. 19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: 21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be .

Upon the time of the abomination of desolation, I understand this to be when the Israelites must flee - according to traditional teaching, I recall they flee to Petra <correct me if I'm wrong-according to traditional teaching>.  I can understand the praying that the flight be not in winter <cold journey, few available provisions> and that it not be on the sabbath <sabbath rules - x # of steps? highways closed?>, but those who are pregnant or nursing, this has always plagued me. WHY? I can understand not being able to flee quickly, or as conveniently as one who does not have young children (and why doesnt He mention those with toddlers if it were solely on account of fleeing Quickly?)

Your thoughts?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.83
  • Days Won:  226

I think this is dealing with the tribulation.Not only will adults lifes be a nightmare but so will the childrens lives.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.96
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

but those who are pregnant or nursing, this has always plagued me. WHY? I can understand not being able to flee quickly, or as conveniently as one who does not have young children (and why doesnt He mention those with toddlers if it were solely on account of fleeing Quickly?)

I can imagine pregnancy and running being difficult.

I can also imagine trying to flee with a baby that still needs nursing being difficult as well.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  85
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  07/07/1967

Matt 24:

15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth , let him understand) 16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: 17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: 18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. 19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: 21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be .

Upon the time of the abomination of desolation, I understand this to be when the Israelites must flee - according to traditional teaching, I recall they flee to Petra <correct me if I'm wrong-according to traditional teaching>.  I can understand the praying that the flight be not in winter <cold journey, few available provisions> and that it not be on the sabbath <sabbath rules - x # of steps? highways closed?>, but those who are pregnant or nursing, this has always plagued me. WHY? I can understand not being able to flee quickly, or as conveniently as one who does not have young children (and why doesnt He mention those with toddlers if it were solely on account of fleeing Quickly?)

Your thoughts?

I think you would probably need to read some Josephus works on the issue of the Roman/Jewish wars that happened after the violation of the temple, AD 70

But from what I can tell in reading about the fall of Jerusalem it was important to to get out at the first sign of trouble before the siege started (Which Christ's prophesy is about).   Doing this would allow you to  avoid the danger and suffering that came starvation and fires started by the siege engines and the chaos of war.    If you however did stay behind in the city and went through the siege it was important to flee the city quickly when it fell because the survivors of the siege were enslaved.   Naturally mother's with young children would be sitting ducks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Jewish%E2%80%93Roman_War

Edited by Addai

Thank you Addai, I do have Josephus in my reading 'lineup'/to study - however, I am currently coming from this from either a Pre or Mid Trib POV. - I neglected to state that in my original post.

I am still on the fence regarding pre - mid - and am interested in the Post arguments, however, I have ruled that theory out. 

I prefer to not have this turn into a battle, so humbly ask anyone with a 'post' view to kindly refrain. In brotherly Love, Thank you.

Could something like this ever happen again?

Matthew 2

16Then Herod, when he saw that he was deceived by the wise men, was exceedingly angry; and he sent forth and put to death all the male children who were in Bethlehem and in all its districts, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had determined from the wise men.

Guest ninhao

Matthew 2

16Then Herod, when he saw that he was deceived by the wise men, was exceedingly angry; and he sent forth and put to death all the male children who were in Bethlehem and in all its districts, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had determined from the wise men.

Hello Man. What circumstance could cause this to happen again ?

Matthew 2

Hello Man. What circumstance could cause this to happen again ?

I have no idea.   :laugh:

I can't see it having anything to do with hindering someone's escape. A breastfeeding mother can move just as quickly as a non-breastfeeding mom. Pregnant women can also move fast if the situation dictates.

The Beast is going to specifically set his sight's on these women and children. For what reason? I don't know. All we can do for now is speculate. 

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  306
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,130
  • Content Per Day:  4.64
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings Everyone!

It is not about the physical moving or running but about the anguish,turmoil and pain...there is no greater suffering for a woman (or parent)to see their children having to suffer-it just tears you to pieces to see your young ones frightened....A vivid depiction of sorrows...(Imagine a new mother who has just experienced the joy of giving birth to a new life & suddenly that life is threatened)makes quite an impact....

With love in Christ-Kwik