Drummer_Boy

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

Well you saw the title. :P “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:26. 

I am confused as to why God tells us to love everyone, but here He says to hate everyone. I know there is some good explanation for this but I just can't come up with one for myself. :P and to be honest I am kind of anxious about it. Obviously I don't want to hate anyone, but this verse is not making me feel very encouraged about life... Before I came across this verse (its the first time ive ever read it) I already decided that I hate the world because it is unfair, and full of sin and depressing things, but now I feel like I am not doing enough to earn Gods approval. I know that we are forgiven and God always takes us back, but I can't ignore how I feel. :/

Your answer is highlighted in red. That verse is not about hating anyone, it's about putting Jesus first.

Luke 14

26"If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.

27And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.

28For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it--

29lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him,

30saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish.'

31Or what king, going to make war against another king, does not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand?

32Or else, while the other is still a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks conditions of peace.

33So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.

34"Salt is good; but if the salt has lost its flavor, how shall it be seasoned?

35It is neither fit for the land nor for the dunghill, but men throw it out. He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"

That verse is not about hating anyone, it's about putting Jesus first.

:thumbsup:

Amen~!

Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might. Deuteronomy 6:4-5

Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself: I am the LORD. Leviticus 19:18

And Amen~!

And one of the scribes came, and having heard them reasoning together, and perceiving that he had answered them well, asked him, Which is the first commandment of all? And Jesus answered him,

The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. Mark 12:28-31

I feel like I am not doing enough to earn Gods approval. I know that we are forgiven and God always takes us back, but I can't ignore how I feel. :(

:heart:

To Earn God's Approval

Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. John 6:28-29

Is To Trust In The Blood Of His Son

Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: 1 Peter 1:18-19

And To Return To Earning And Keeping Ones Own Self Rightness

And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. 1 Corinthians 6:11

Is To Spit In The Face Of Jesus

Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? Hebrews 10:29

But Indeed Believers Are

For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. Philippians 2:13

Step By Step

For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith. Romans 1:17

Growing

O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him. Psalms 34:8

:heart:

Praying~!

~

So

Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Ephesians 6:11-12

Trust Jesus

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. Romans 10:13

Rejoice In Him

Rejoice evermore.

Pray without ceasing.

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Singing To The LORD

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; Ephesians 5:19

And Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:

The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:

The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  35
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  147
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

man.

The word translated as "hate" is best understood as "to love less".

In other words, your love for Jesus must always be greater than your love for your parents.

But, it is also written,

Mat 15:4 For God commanded, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’

Mat 19:19 Honor your father and mother, and, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Mar 7:10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’

Mar 10:19 You know the commandments: ‘Do not murder, Do not commit adultery, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Do not defraud, Honor your father and mother.’”

Luk 18:20 You know the commandments: ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’”

Eph 6:2 “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise),

Every blessing.

Edwin.

Edited by paredwin

man.

The word translated as "hate" is best understood as "to love less".

In other words, your love for Jesus must always be greater than your love for your parents.

That verse is not about hating anyone, it's about putting Jesus first.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  18

Hi DB,

The context of the passage is not focusing on hate, that is used in a hyperbolic way...it is talking about the cost of discipleship

and Jesus is trying to establish in the minds of potential disciples that there is a cost involved in following Him.

Indeed further down the passage He expands upon this theme making it evident it has to be an individual choice, and He

also alludes to what He has to suffer in order to meet His destiny (eg crucifixion) and how all of us individually will have to

take up our own individual crosses and understand that in dying we live.

Whenever there is an apparent contradiction in the Bible...you can be certain that either the translation into English could have

been better, or that some idiom is used that doesn't really translate.   Sometimes in Hebrew especially, the context determines

the strength and meaning of the word used...that coupled with the Rabbinic parables that Jesus uses to teach...mean that we

often have to do a bit of home-work to arrive at the fuller meatier meaning.   This was also true of the disciples, who found some of the things

Jesus said rather perplexing...I think they are meant to be somewhat concealed at times, because they mean so much more when

we actually get to the heart of their message, and it becomes a personal and subjective discovery guided by the Holy Spirit.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  304
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,094
  • Content Per Day:  4.65
  • Days Won:  327

Welcome Drummer_Boy!

I think the previous answers to your question should be all that you are looking for and I do hope it has helped you to understand that Jesus is using the word hate only as a comparitive......knowing our Lord,He would never want us to hate anyone and He only says this so we can understand the kind of love for Him we ought to have....He should be number 1 in our lives....this discussion has been visited many times on other threads,you are not alone in questioning this particular Scripture.....

The reason I have posted was not to add anything on that subject but because you deeply touched my heart by saying you hate the world & feel you are not approved by God....Oh,let me encourage you,friend...the day you asked Jesus to be Lord & Savior of your life is the day all of your sins were placed under His Blood(that Precious & Powerful Blood)& you became worthy & acceptable(approved)to stand before the Throne of Grace....when our Loving God now looks at you He sees His Son standing before His eyes......Jesus died for you that you can be reconciled back to the Father and you are pleasing in His sight......Your works can never be good enough for the Holiest of Holy God but Jesus does it for you....my Brother in Christ...you are approved!!!Glory to God,Praise Jesus!

The world is not to be hated(people)but what it brings forth...we are in the world but not of it....hate the sin but not the sinner.......there are alot of good people in this world that are yet to come to the foot of the cross....we can help by being living testimonies for Christ...pray for the Heart & Mind of Christ and you will see people in a different light,the Holy Spirit will comfort you in all these things that trouble you,ask & you will receive,seek & you shall find.....I will pray for your relationship with Jesus to become more intimate & for you to receive the Wisdom & Understanding by the power of His Spirit.........Keep posting,we are here to encourage you & fellowship,giving glory to God!

With love in Christ-Kwik

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  601
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  3

Well you saw the title. :P “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple." Luke 14:26. 

I am confused as to why God tells us to love everyone, but here He says to hate everyone. I know there is some good explanation for this but I just can't come up with one for myself. :P and to be honest I am kind of anxious about it. Obviously I don't want to hate anyone, but this verse is not making me feel very encouraged about life... Before I came across this verse (its the first time ive ever read it) I already decided that I hate the world because it is unfair, and full of sin and depressing things, but now I feel like I am not doing enough to earn Gods approval. I know that we are forgiven and God always takes us back, but I can't ignore how I feel. :/

Much love to you, Drummer_Boy,

I absolutely love what everyone has said!!! My love for God gets Richer and Deeper with every day that I live for Him...

I remember back a ways-when I was hearing: Give your life to Jesus...and I was saying: Why should I? (but remember The Bible says: Isaiah 55:8-9 "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the Lord. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts. That's mainly why I needed a renewed mind in Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. I was saying my life is fine...I'm over here on this side of The Jordan and I'm doing ok-but in reality-I was a very kind-hearted person, didn't like all the yuk in the world-and as my signature states: I didn't have any answers-and the longer I "put off God" the more I walked in sin-the older I got the bigger my sins got...Having a little more understanding now...It was like I was saying...I don't know what is over on that other side and I'm scared and so it was like I was running from God...over and over...but because of my procastination and hard-headedness-I was forced to stop straddling the fence-almost leaving this world without Him ...and I jumped in with both feet over The Jordan To The Other Side...by faith-still not knowing but wanted to understand so bad!!! So I started out drinking the "The Milk" (The Bible is our spiritual food) of the Word...Some verses start out our "milk" and the longer we don't give up-but keep Seeking The Kingdom and His Righteousness-the more The Word will become our "meat"...I like steak better than hamburger anyway... 

And like Botz said...I bought myself a Strong's Concordance-that has the meaning of every Word in The Bible...as I understand it now though, there are some websites that give the meaning...so it would probably be a good idea to contact some on here that have been here a while and find out the websites they use to understand The Bible better.

The Truth is: anything can run us off from God and His Word...the enemy comes to steal, kill and destroy...He can steal The Word From Our Heart if we let him-especially when we get our eyes off Jesus and back onto the world...It calls for us to get out God's Super Glue to help us stick, read and believe...and above all-there is nothing you can do any better (we don't earn it-it's by Grace) than what Jesus has already done...and if you had been the only person on earth at the time He went to The Cross-He would have gone just for you...I believe that with all my heart...We have an Awesome God that Loves us and also (I know some of us haven't had a loving father here on earth) but God is like the best Daddy...after awhile it's just like that...He gets onto us (sorry, I'm very Southern) He corrects us...He wonders if we can do certain things-and tries us out...There is just a whole lot to it...It's the adventure of a lifetime and for the ones that really really use that SuperGlue: The Words of The Bible are Alive and Come Alive in us!!! Oh my...Talk about a wonderful adventure and I want more only if God is in My life...I couldn't do this without Him!!! Much Love to you, Drummer...I'm praying for you too...To Know Him...

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  68
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  14,204
  • Content Per Day:  3.35
  • Days Won:  30

Probably all of us have felt that way at some time, that we are not doing enough to meet God's approval. Then we have to come back to the fact that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. He loves us already, He died for us the way we are, and if we have to do anything it is only to trust in Jesus, then ask Him to forgive our sins and deliver us from them, and to love others. If we do these we already have His approval and He has made us His kid by adoption. He no longer remembers our sin and the blood of Jesus and His word continually cleanse us.

God is our daddy in heaven. He wants above all to bless us and help us. That means we sometimes get a whipping for really getting stubborn and rebellious, but only to train us to do what is right and good and to keep us from terrible harm. He does everything for our good. And we don't have to win God's approval or work for it like we are on the outside looking in. We just have to love Him back.

He wants us to depend on Him and talk to Him a lot, listen to Him and walk with Him in a relationship.

We can give others the same kind of love and acceptance that God has given us, and forgive them the way God has forgiven us. We are only able to do those things because He lives in us and we can express His perfect love and forgiveness.

Lots of times after we become secure in how much God loves us and already approves of us, we feel so grateful we feel we can't do enough because we want to somehow repay God for all He has done for us. We do that by passing what God has done for us along to others and by telling others about Jesus.