IGNORED

What does "in the day" in Gen. 2:4 mean?

thomas t

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  0

I think and personally believe when it say "these are the generations of the heavens and the earth it is in reference to each of the seven days of creation. 

Good day Openly

what you're trying to convey here is that 1 day as mentioned in Gen 2:4 equal 7 days. To put it simple, it means 1=7 according to what you wrote. Did I get you wrong?

I find this disturbing.

For God is not a God of confusion but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints, 1.Cor 14:33

Thomas

Yes, absoulutely you got me "wrong".  I will endeavor to make it as plain as I possibly can so there will be no misunderstanding or confusion on your part.

Genesis 2:1-6 - vs. 1) THUS THE heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.....(We are being given a record here in chapter 2.  The record given to us is after God was finished with his work in creating the heavens and the earth and all the "host" of them.  Being all the things within them which are seen and which are not seen (both visible and invisible things in the earth and in the heavens...Hebrews 1:10).  Note that God was "finished" here with his creative work of creation.  This creative work being referenced here is found recorded in Genesis 1:1-31 which covers day one of creation through day six of creation. Taking each of the six days as a whole and telling us of what was created on each of the 6 days specifically.  I want for time sake go back and break those six days down for you I trust you have time for that.   But in Genesis 2:1 we are being given a record by God after his creative work in the heavens and the earth was finished this is important to note.  Because as Genesis chapter two starts to progress we see what is taking place in the heavens and earth that God created in the beginning afterwards not prior too.

vs. 2) And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made....(here is recorded the seventh day of creation and what God did on and in the seventh day.  Which his creative work (creation) was done or completed is was finished so God rested on this day from all that he had done from day one to day six of creation.

vs. 3) And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested on the seventh day from all his work which God created and made....(We see here what God did also in his rest from his works or labor in all that he created being the heavens and the earth and all that was in them.  God blessed the day of rest the seventh day and also sanctified the seventh day.  God set it apart from the other six days in that his labor and work was done in bringing the heavens and earth into existence or being.  The seventh day was different than the other six days but very much a part of the original creation that took place in all seven of the days.  But God blessed and sanctified the seventh day and used it to rest from his labor of works he made.  Now we enter into the verse in question which you did and are referencing in your original OP....

vs. 4a) These are the generations of the heavens and the earth when they were created,....(here we see the seven days of creation is being referred to as generation(s) in which they were created.  As day one of creation is a generation and all the things God created and brought into existence for the very first time their beginning or birth was in that generation.  Which in day one of creation- in this time period we have the record given to us by God in Genesis 1:1-5 .  For the first time we have the beginning, the earth, heaven, the waters, light (day & morning), darkness (night & evening).  Nothing else existed other than these things in the earth and heaven these came into being in this day or time period (generation).  Day two of creation in this time period or generation we have the record of God given to us in Genesis 1:6-8 what came into exixtence for the very first time.  Being the firmament the firmament did not exist on the first day or generation only in the second day.  And so on in day three Genesis 1:9-13 in this generation or time period God created and made the land (earth appear out of the waters), the seas, the grass, the herbs and the fruit trees.  Day four Genesis 1:14-19 in this generation for the first time in existence.  God made the solar system, the stars, the sun and the moon all of these did not exist in day one, two or three.  Day five Genesis 1:20-23 the first time in existence God made all kinds of bird life, all kinds of marine life and these did not exist in days one to four.  Then on day six of creation Genesis 1:24-31 for the first time into existence.   God in his labor and work on this day made all kinds of animals or livestock, all kinds of wildlife, the creeping things and he made or created "man".  All things including man did not exist in the creation from the first day to the fifth day but only existed in the sixth day or generation.  Finally day seven Genesis 2:2-3 for the first time in existence God made a day to rest in from his creative work and set it apart sanctified it and made it a day for rest when he ceased from his works he created.

Each day of creation was a specific generation a particular time period (unknown) of new things coming into existence for the first time.  Thus "these are the generation(s) (the 7 days of creation) of the heaven and earth when they were created meaning from start to finish or completion.  We have a record of God's work in creating the world in which we live in from day one the beginning to day seven the finish.  

This is what I am saying concerning the word "generations" in Genesis 2:4a is speaking of.  Instead of generations of people which came later in the progression of man furthur discussed in Genesis 2 after creation was finished.  I am saying that God created only one race of man as we all are born in certain generations or time periods in this earth just as creation all came into being in their generation or time periods.  Generations in Genesis 2:4 is not speaking concerning the generations of the human race but the earth and the heaven the world in which God made and put man in giving him dominion over it.      

vs. 4b) in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens....(Here it is simply speaking of the beginning when God started his creative work of creation being day one.  "in the day", in the beginning, the start being day one.

In your OP you said quote:

[since it was in day one when God created heaven and earth, my suggestion for an interpretation of "in the day" is day 1.

Following this interpretation of "the day,"  Adam and Eve would have been made at day one, already and other humans on day six.......This would solve the problem who the "whoever" in Genesis 4:14 is btw.....vs. 14 - Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me"......

When there are two groups of man involved in Genesis, this question would be easy to answer.  Cain being the child the "day one" and the "whoever" humans stemming from "day six."  

What do you think?] end quote    

Your interpretation of "in the day" found in Genesis 2:4 is partially correct.  It is correct in that God did create the heaven and the earth in day one of creation.  For God began his labor and work of creation on that first day but his creation was not finished or completed on that first day (day one) it was only the beginning of it.   So you are incorrect in thinking that man and everything visibly seen and the things that are invisible that we can't see was all created and finished on the first day of creation.   Thus you interpretation of Genesis 4:14 is flawed.  Because God created man (Adam and Eve) on the sixth day of creation instead of creating them on the first day one as you suggested.  So then your interpretation of Genesis 4:14 is flawed and unscriptural.  For there are "not two groups of humans" that were created.  God only created one human race period.  All that have lived and that are living on earth now all started from man which God created on the sixth day of creation being Adam male and Eve female.  Scripture states that Eve was the mother of all living.  There is only one human race living in the earth since day six of creation. 

I hope this clears up your confusion in what I have said.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens

We've had a discussion about this in the other thread ("the earth gave forth...").

Since it was in day one when God created heaven and earth, my suggestion for an interpretation of "in the day" is: day 1.

Following this interpretation of "the day", Adam and Eve would have been made at day one, already, and other humans on day 6.

This would solve the problem who the "whoever" in Gen 4:14 is, btw.

Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”

When there are two groups of man involved in Genesis, this question would be easy to answer: Cain being the child of the day one humans and the "whoever" humans stemming from day six.

What do you think?

Thomas

"In the day" was a manner of speaking, an expression, if you will.   It uses "the day" to refer to a particular season or time period.   You could say "at the time" when the Lord made heaven and earth.

Good morning Shiloh,

the problem I have with this is that my KJV Bible with Strong's Dictionary attributes all the three words of "in the day" to the one Hebrew word of "yawm". So I conclude that the use of the Hebrew word "yawm" didn't change at all compared to when it was used in Gen. 1.

Are you telling me that the mere Hebrew word of "yawm" was a manner of speaking, in your opinion?

If you answer with "yes", then next question I would be asking you is, do you think that the other days in Gen.1 were just expressions, too? If you answer this with "no", I would like to ask you why you make a difference between the single days in Gen. 1 and that one here, Shiloh?

As for Gen 4:14, one thing to understand is that while the events of Scripture are often mentioned back to back as if they occurred in close succession, the truth is that time is often telescoped and there is an untold amount of time that has passed between events as they are listed.  What I mean is that we don't know how much time lapsed beteen the creation of Adam and Eve and when they ate the forbidden fruit.  We don't know how many year passed between Cain and Abel's birth and when Cain slew Abel.  

So since people were living much, much longer it is important to understand that the environment in which they lived is far different than our own and given the length of time people lived, it is not far fetched at all to understand that many, many years had passed and people populated the earth.  Given that variables may have existed that do not exist in our day, Cain might have easily found a wife in another city or region with no problem at all.

You might be right. 

I totally agree that there might have been dozens of years in between. However, who were the other people? (I don't want to have this discussed here, ok? But feel free to say your opinion to this once again, it's just that I won't answer this any further, because I think this could get us away from the OP, here)

Thomas

Good day Openly,

thanks for your efforts.

So you are incorrect in thinking that man and everything visibly seen and the things that are invisible that we can't see was all created and finished on the first day of creation.   

... but that's not what I thought or what I've said. I'm aware of the fact that heaven and earth are mentioned in Gen 2:4 as opposed to man who is not mentioned in this verse, as I see it.

Scripture states that Eve was the mother of all living. 

You seem to be referring to Gen 3:20 (KJV) and you seem to interpret  "all the living" to be humans only. However, Eve was not Adam's mother obviously. Other Bible translations say "became the mother of all the living".

This would have been correct after the flood, anyway.

Thomas

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  4,568
  • Content Per Day:  0.69

These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens

Since it was in day one when God created heaven and earth, my suggestion for an interpretation of "in the day" is: day 1.

Following this interpretation of "the day", Adam and Eve would have been made at day one, already, and other humans on day 6.

This would solve the problem who the "whoever" in Gen 4:14 is, btw.

Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”

In there are two groups of man involved in Genesis, this question would be easy to answer:  Cain being the child of the day one humans  and the "whoever" humans stemming from day six.

What do you think?

Thomas

You have clearly stated in your interpretation that Adam and Eve were created on day one of creation and other humans on day six of creation.  I don't believe I have misunderstood.  You are saying that there were two groups of humans that God created on day one and on day six of creation and that is incorrect scripturally.  Man was created on day six of creation and started at that point to live and multiply in the earth until this present time.  God did not create a human race on day one and then another human race on day six as you have said in your interpretation. 

There is only one human race God created living in this earth not two.  Even Noah was a descendant of Adam.  Read Matthew 1:1 which gives the geneology of Jesus note that it starts with Adam and moves forward.  The geneology of Jesus in Lukes's gospel then returns back to Adam.   

Eve was the mother of all living as scripture states she was the first woman created by within the one human race of man.  Adam was the first man of the human race that God created and started with in the earth on day six.  And you are correct that I do interpret Eve to be the mother of "all the living" to be humans only.  What else would it be as all things in the earth can only bring forth after their kind as taught in Genesis chapter one in the earth.  So I have no idea what your thoughts are concerning Eve not being the mother of "all the living" being anything other than the human race.  Am curious though

Good day Paul.

Genesis 1:14 it is more than one day.

?

And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: Gen 1:14 KJV

In Genesis 2:4 Yom is the entire creation period of 7 yom.

That's your assumption. 1 day (mentioned in Gen 2:4) would equal 7 days (mentioned before). This would be perfect confusion, I think.

Genesis 4:3, it says "And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord." Yom = a complete process of time.

Paul, process is the translation of the Hebrew word qets. Your statement comes across as if the four words of "in process of time" can be assigned to the one word of yawm.

Anyway, this passage stands afterwards, as discussed in the other thread.

The other passages you cite come in behind, I wouldn't discuss them now.

The first chapters of Genesis, in my opinion, are an account of creation or God's log, as Joe would put it. In Gen 2:4, He wouldn't use a word, in my opinion, that can mean anything and everything from little instant up to eternity.

For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

definition is dependent on a created earth which makes one rotation in relation to a created sun…these did not exist until after day three…[...]

You said this in the other thread, already.

There I wrote:

The moment sun and moon were introduced in Gen 1. the use of day remained unchanged. The wording in its context did not change whatsoever.

And the evening and the morning were the third day. Gen 1:13 KJV

And the evening and the morning were the fourth day. Gen 1:19 KJV

I hope that we can avoid going round in circles..

Thomas

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  22
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

As SDAinFLA has said Genesis 2:4 is basically an end note to Genesis 1.  It's also interesting that we see "generations" used in conjunction with the "day" God created. This indicates the  creation took place over a period of time rather than specific 24 hour days. imo.

Yea...I respect your understanding of this but a day in Genesis is obviously a 24 hour period.

That's how we define a days, weeks, months, and years.

If the Bible's definition of a day is an indefinite period of time in Genesis, then it is an indefinite period of time other places. This would make it difficult to determine bible prophecy when it relies on a timeline.

Take the Bible for what it says...and don't let evolution shape your principles.

But God did not create the sun until day 4 so a day did not exist until the fourth day so what has 24 hours got to do with it?

we define days, weeks, months, and years by earths movements around the sun, the first three days could have lasted for who knows how long.

"Take the Bible for what it says...and don't let evolution shape your principles"??? what has evolution got to do with the length of a day?

Edited by Lylow

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,989
  • Topics Per Day:  0.49
  • Content Count:  48,687
  • Content Per Day:  11.89
  • Days Won:  226

"In the day" refers to an unspecified period of time.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

But God did not create the sun until day 4 so a day did not exist until the fourth day so what has 24 hours got to do with it?

A few points:

1. The Bible says "And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years." Genesis 1:14

Even if prior to this "day" the days were not 24 hour periods...they were 24 hour periods after God created the lights in the firmament. Clearly the division of the day and night by the lights in the firmament should be considered the same time frame as the division takes today. (Unless we find a reason to believe God modified the rotational times of the sun and moon after creation week.)

2. One of the commandments God gave Israel was "Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy...For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Exodus 20:8,11

If 6 days were 6 seasons, then God gave the Jews the wrong time frames to work and to rest. However, the days that Israel observed were literal 24 hour time periods....which reflected creation week.

The reason I related this to evolution is because it is evolution that dates the creation of earth for thousands of years due to their carbon dating methods. It seems Christians have come up with a way to explain their theory by coming up with a creation model that can be in agreement with science.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

Is this an attempt to make the Hebrew word yom (day) longer than  24 hour days in the creation week?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Topic Count:  897
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,621
  • Content Per Day:  2.03
  • Days Won:  9

The biblical evidence that the "days" of creation were a prophetic template for the 168 hour week not only because of the mention of evening and morning but also the institution of seven day weeks in all cultures. A 10 day week was attempted at one time or other and utterly failed. Also virtually every mention of keeping the sixth day sabbath includes a reference to the creation week.

I find it disturbing how people take a flawed system of theoretic supposition with regard to the age of all things and try to force it upon the Bible texts as though the flawed system of theoretic supposition (evolution) was somehow proven and authoritative.

There is scientific (repeatable) evidence that prove evolution is not even the bad theory many leading evolutionists admit it is... but with the blind faith evolutionists put into the thing it is actually a religion.  And when it comes to religion and religious beliefs, no amount of evidence or fact or truth will sway some from what they have determined they were going to believe no matter what.

Christianity (which is actually not a religion) is the only belief that lines up with the facts the evidence the truth, and in fact commands us to prove all things (1 Thess 5:21) and to test the spirits (1 Jn 4:1)... all other belief systems do not and cannot withstand such challenges to their authority.

Only the truth can.